Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky to Colorado for COL 2nd and ARIZ 3rd (both 2020) and Scott Kosmachuk

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yes, please. Lets compare Backstrom to Burakovsky.

No thanks. Lets just stick to straight up goal scoring slumps.

And don't forget to factor in power play time, quality of linemates, and TOI.

When Burka woke up, he was Burka

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Caps were 4-2-0 outscoring opponents 22-16 in games Bura sat, played DET, @ CAR, BUF, PIT, @BOS, and CBJ.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Caps were 4-2-0 outscoring opponents 22-16 in games Bura sat, played DET, @ CAR, BUF, PIT, @BOS, and CBJ.

No surprise there really, as using a scoring winger as a 4th liner is dumb. Him out of the lineup allowed for more logical lines to be built. Only one of he and Vrana were going to survive our right handed shooting gallery. Ovi Oshie and Willy have 3 of the 4 slots under long term control.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
No surprise there really, as using a scoring winger as a 4th liner is dumb. Him out of the lineup allowed for more logical lines to be built. Only one of he and Vrana were going to survive our right handed shooting gallery. Ovi Oshie and Willy have 3 of the 4 slots under long term control.
Counting playoffs Bura went scoreless in 256 of 384 games or 78% of the time. I think of him more as a wing on a 3rd possession line because he was unsuccessful in other roles.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How do you guys think he'll do on a 2nd line with Kadri and one of Rantanen/Donskoi/Jost?

Note that he'll also get time on PP2:

------------- Wilson ----------------
Donskoi ---- Jost ---- Burakovsky
------------- Girard -----------------

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just guessing. Miss 10 games with a ding. Provide a 20 game hot streak. Provide a 20 game cold streak. Its hard to know what he would do on a pp unit and I have no idea how much a 2nd unit even plays in Denver.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How do you guys think he'll do on a 2nd line with Kadri and one of Rantanen/Donskoi/Jost?

Note that he'll also get time on PP2:

------------- Wilson ----------------
Donskoi ---- Jost ---- Burakovsky
------------- Girard -----------------

As long as one of the other guys can get the puck when Burakovsky misses his shot wide or simply dumps it down low from just inside the blue line in order to avoid contact than their line will be fine.

Reactions: Richard88

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He never got a sniff on our PP because he is a lefty. Folks bash his droughts but ignore similar goalless spells from Nick (multiple times IIRC) or Kuzy. Most all his points are ES toiling in our bottom 6. Yeah it's not easy to break into a cup winning top 6. He lulls you to sleep then goes crazy out of no where. Ask Tampanians.

Get him PP time and he should be good for 15-20. I think he needs to add to his frame to max out his game.

@Richard88

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
He never got a sniff on our PP because he is a lefty. Folks bash his droughts but ignore similar goalless spells from Nick (multiple times IIRC) or Kuzy. Most all his points are ES toiling in our bottom 6. Yeah it's not easy to break into a cup winning top 6. He lulls you to sleep then goes crazy out of no where. Ask Tampanians.

Get him PP time and he should be good for 15-20. I think he needs to add to his frame to max out his game.

@Richard88

I vote for Tamponians

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

@Richard88
Vrana says cry me a river... ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

@Richard88

Oh, RH. Backstrom and Kuznetsov had 3 months total production low of 7 points each. Burakovsky had two months of 1 pt and another of 4. Lets not compare.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Oh, RH. Backstrom and Kuznetsov had 3 months total production low of 7 points each. Burakovsky had two months of 1 pt and another of 4. Lets not compare.

Backstrom also does more when he isn’t scoring and when 19 or 92 aren’t in a slump they can be dominating. Bura not so much.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom also has 13 19 12 and 13 point months to go with one 7 pt month. Burakovsky has one 8pt month. Lets not compare

Reactions: Corby78

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Why does everyone hold that Tampa game up as Burakovsky being amazing? I get he scored two goals, but we won the game 4 to nothing and beyond those two breakaways he was pretty meh.

Reactions: Lobodomy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Why does everyone hold that Tampa game up as Burakovsky being amazing? I get he scored two goals, but we won the game 4 to nothing and beyond those two breakaways he was pretty meh.

I kind of agree but I’d also point out that he was very good in the Vegas series too with 4 assists in 5 games.

I think GMBM made the right move but I also think Burt could be a valuable piece in Colorado.

Reactions: Richard88

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I kind of agree but I’d also point out that he was very good in the Vegas series too with 4 assists in 5 games.

I think GMBM made the right move but I also think Burt could be a valuable piece in Colorado.

Burakovsky is erratic. Its almost like the game has to come to him. He is incapable of going to the game. The first goal against Tampa was a killer and a great play. He deserves full credit and he was where he should have been to get the puck for Eller's cup winner. But he has 7 pointless playoff games that year in a row before he produced 6pts in the final 6 games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Vrana says cry me a river... ;)

He was on shaky ground not so long ago, as he and Bura battled it out for that last T6 spot. His lame work in the D zone had coaches pissed more than once. Too bad he was a no show in the playoffs, otherwise your post would carry more weight.

Yep Bura had 2 points toiling on our useless B6, Vrana up top with the big boys, zippy. Previous loffs, Vrana had 8 points in 23 games, Bura 6 in 13. So they both have 8 points over 2 years, but one has a lot more games and better linemates. Lets not assume we kept the right guy just yet.

Vrana has not exactly been the model of consistency himself, tex. Hopefully its not us fans crying a river if Bura breaks out.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He was on shaky ground not so long ago, as he and Bura battled it out for that last T6 spot. His lame work in the D zone had coaches pissed more than once. Too bad he was a no show in the playoffs, otherwise your post would carry more weight.

Yep Bura had 2 points toiling on our useless B6, Vrana up top with the big boys, zippy. Previous loffs, Vrana had 8 points in 23 games, Bura 6 in 13. So they both have 8 points over 2 years, but one has a lot more games and better linemates. Lets not assume we kept the right guy just yet.

Vrana has not exactly been the model of consistency himself, tex. Hopefully its not us fans crying a river if Bura breaks out.

Not sure about a breakout, but I think the change of scenery will be conducive to a better year for him next season. Peeps around here should start mentally prepping for it.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

That was me not Tex. My main point was that before Vrana came along that spot was Bura's. He couldn't hold it and was surpassed by Vrana who at the time was "toiling in the bottom 6". The narrative doesn't hold. Guys earn their spots. Given bottom 6 minutes one guy proved he deserved more and one didn't.

I think (and hope) Bura will do well in Denver, but the notion that he struggled because he wasn't given top 6 minutes etc. ignores the fact that our 2LW had the same opportunity and made the most of it.

Last edited:

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I can almost guarantee you Burakovsky doesn't break out in Colorado. I mean, unless 45 points is breaking out. But I see him getting maybe 15 goals, 28-30 Assists with some PP time. That's probably his ceiling.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I can almost guarantee you Burakovsky doesn't break out in Colorado. I mean, unless 45 points is breaking out. But I see him getting maybe 15 goals, 28-30 Assists with some PP time. That's probably his ceiling.

He’s never scored 20g or 40 pts. A “breakout” wouldn’t be all that tough assuming he gets his minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad