Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky to Colorado for COL 2nd and ARIZ 3rd (both 2020) and Scott Kosmachuk

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Your own example belies your argument. Kuz (and also Wilson and Vrana) grew into excellent offensive players in the same system where Bura had his chances.

But regardless, he was NEVER going to be the next Backstrom.
I didn't think he would be next Backstrom, but I thought he could be next Kuznetsov. Both Bura and Orlov had a similar talent to Kuzy but both players stopped progressing for some reason. You can have a player development system which doesn't work for everyone. Skill wise I would have put Burakovsky and Orlov above Vrana but Vrana succeeded in the system where they didn't.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I didn't think he would be next Backstrom, but I thought he could be next Kuznetsov. Both Bura and Orlov had a similar talent to Kuzy but both players stopped progressing for some reason. You can have a player development system which doesn't work for everyone. Skill wise I would have put Burakovsky and Orlov above Vrana but Vrana succeeded in the system where they didn't.

You never know exactly what a guy will be. But I don't Burakovsky ever, EVER displayed the playmaking tools Kuznetzov did. He wa moved off to wing for a reason.

Burakovsky had great speed and a very potent shot once it was released. It was hoped he would adjust his terrible shot release to make him a true shooter. He never has. And u until recently, he hasn't shown much two way game.

I still think Burakovsky develops into a good NHLer. All NHL players, at some point, have to figure out what to do away from the puck when they arent scoring. Burakovsky showed he was trying to learn at the end of his time here. A good staff could continue that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think Orlov has developed well. He's not perfect but he's a solid top 4 D, so unless you projected him to be Drew Doughty (in which case you'd have been wrong from the start) he's irrelevant to this discussion. As for Vrana, Kuzy, and I'll add Wilson, they all are very different types of players yet thrived in Washington. So maybe the Caps are capable at developing diverse talent and maybe it was Bura who failed them and himself.

I hope he finds his way in the NHL, but I am skeptical that he will ever be the top 6 player we all hoped.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You never know exactly what a guy will be. But I don't Burakovsky ever, EVER displayed the playmaking tools Kuznetzov did. He wa moved off to wing for a reason.

Burakovsky had great speed and a very potent shot once it was released. It was hoped he would adjust his terrible shot release to make him a true shooter. He never has. And u until recently, he hasn't shown much two way game.

I still think Burakovsky develops into a good NHLer. All NHL players, at some point, have to figure out what to do away from the puck when they arent scoring. Burakovsky showed he was trying to learn at the end of his time here. A good staff could continue that.
You know, I feel like Burt’s speed is a bit overstated. It’s good for a guy who plays a lot bigger and shields the puck better, but not so great for his style of play. I don’t think his speed is elite, I’ve seen defenders stay with him an awful lot which is why you see him turn back up the boards so often (if he wasn’t already pinned). Maybe it’s acceleration that’s the problem, I don’t know.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
You know, I feel like Burt’s speed is a bit overstated. It’s good for a guy who plays a lot bigger and shields the puck better, but not so great for his style of play. I don’t think his speed is elite, I’ve seen defenders stay with him an awful lot which is why you see him turn back up the boards so often (if he wasn’t already pinned). Maybe it’s acceleration that’s the problem, I don’t know.

He still has good speed. But coming up he had really good speed. His skating didn't improve a ton the five years he was here.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fine with this trade. I'll have fond memories of Bura and dreams of what he could have been. Sad he never really turned the corner, perhaps he really was just a product of McDavid. Decent picks for him, probably enough to move up and get a second pick in the 1st round(depending on the tiers of players in the draft next year if it's worth it) as long as we're not planning on trading the draft away for another impact player this off-season. I wouldn't put it past GMBM though. He goes for it every year.

Gonna disagree with the bolded. He was on McDavid's junior team for only one year, it happened after Burakovsky was already a first round pick, and they were often on separate lines. McDavid's most frequent linemates were Fox and Brown. Dane Fox was, unquestionably, a produce of McDavid. Connor Brown was likely boosted by McDavid, but has at least carved out an NHL career. Burakovsky was largely used on the 2nd line with Dylan Strome and Michael Curtis, and eventually Brendan Gaunce after they acquired him via trade. Strome has was eventually the #3 overall pick and broke out as a legitimate top 6 forward this season, but he was only 16 when he was playing with Burakovsky. Burt was the legitimate catalyst of Erie's second line that season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fine with this trade. I'll have fond memories of Bura and dreams of what he could have been. Sad he never really turned the corner, perhaps he really was just a product of McDavid. Decent picks for him, probably enough to move up and get a second pick in the 1st round(depending on the tiers of players in the draft next year if it's worth it) as long as we're not planning on trading the draft away for another impact player this off-season. I wouldn't put it past GMBM though. He goes for it every year.

!!CORRECTION ALERT!!

YOU’VE BEEN HIVEMINDED!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Burakovsky had an insane first couple months in his rookie season when he played better and was higher in the lineup than Kuznetsov. That seems to have mostly been adrenaline though

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Gonna disagree with the bolded. He was on McDavid's junior team for only one year, it happened after Burakovsky was already a first round pick, and they were often on separate lines. McDavid's most frequent linemates were Fox and Brown. Dane Fox was, unquestionably, a produce of McDavid. Connor Brown was likely boosted by McDavid, but has at least carved out an NHL career. Burakovsky was largely used on the 2nd line with Dylan Strome and Michael Curtis, and eventually Brendan Gaunce after they acquired him via trade. Strome has was eventually the #3 overall pick and broke out as a legitimate top 6 forward this season, but he was only 16 when he was playing with Burakovsky. Burt was the legitimate catalyst of Erie's second line that season.
Connor McDavid was on ice for 55% of Bura'a points in his single season in the OHL 48/87. Andre played on PP1 with him on a team that could score at will with a 30.7% PP unit. I'd say McDavid most certainly inflated his point totals. I think we were all hopeful that his size and speed would translate based on those numbers but it never did. He had a bit of a disappointing draft season which is why he fell in a lot of ranking into a low 1st/high 2nd. I think a full/couple seasons in Hershey could have done a lot of him in terms of making him a more consistent player.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017

Both guys on Kuzy level if they were consistent

By far the biggest reason some guys can pull off high-skill plays more consistently is that they're more skilled than players who can pull them off half as often.

Hivemind said:
Maybe if Pierre McGuire didn't feel the need to claim they were linemates every time he mentions Burakovsky, more people would realize this.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You seem confident that the Caps, in a sink or swin situation, would swim with Burakovsky. The Caps will only miss him if he was going to be an impact player. If he was going to go 20-30 games in a row without a goal as he does every season, they wont miss having $3m+ in cap space tied up in him.

I am more confident that the Caps can find a more reliable player for that cap space than Burakovsky would deliver to the same reliable level.

For all the chatter about him being inconsistent, he was pretty damn consistent being a 12 goal guy every year, in what amounts to B6 roles with no PP time. How folks define inconsistent can flounder about wildly.

For a tall kid he isn't very thick. We know he had a wrist that slowed him for parts of 2 seasons, but I suspect he had a few other nagging injuries. I think he needs to funnel protein shakes to become the best he can be. Not many guys are 6'3 200 - it's a odd frame type that we just don't see often.

He got screwed when he got drafted by a team that doesn't use left shots on the PP. PPGs don't just pad the stats, they pad confidence and chemistry with teammates. The players confidence, and also the coaches.

Conno was a quick release without Eller. Burkie gets his 12 goals no matter who he plays with.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
For all the chatter about him being inconsistent, he was pretty damn consistent being a 12 goal guy every year, in what amounts to B6 roles with no PP time. How folks define inconsistent can flounder about wildly.

For a tall kid he isn't very thick. We know he had a wrist that slowed him for parts of 2 seasons, but I suspect he had a few other nagging injuries. I think he needs to funnel protein shakes to become the best he can be. Not many guys are 6'3 200 - it's a odd frame type that we just don't see often.

He got screwed when he got drafted by a team that doesn't use left shots on the PP. PPGs don't just pad the stats, they pad confidence and chemistry with teammates. The players confidence, and also the coaches.

Conno was a quick release without Eller. Burkie gets his 12 goals no matter who he plays with.

You realize you are trying to sell a 23rd overall draft pick and 12 goals as being a GOOD THING right?

Also, 12 goals per gets you 1.5 - 2 million (which is overpaid btw), not 3.0, and now 3.25 per season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You realize you are trying to sell a 23rd overall draft pick and 12 goals as being a GOOD THING right?

Also, 12 goals per gets you 1.5 - 2 million (which is overpaid btw), not 3.0, and now 3.25 per season.

Fair enough but know I am not selling much, just throwing out there that the grass isn't always greener.

Don't forget, a 23rd overall scoring winger will probably need significant PP time to meet the expectations you set on him. Our PP only features right shots so.... A scoring winger living off of ESGs in the end needs to become a strong 2 way guy. That's not him and never was. I think BMac was late to trade him which fetched a rather paltry return. Sure we can use those assets but wager they won't be parlayed into a young scoring winger, which I think is our orgs biggest developmental deficiency.

If Colorado ft. left shots on the PP I also wager he pots 20.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, consistently. Every season. Burakovsky goes 20 to 30 games in a row without a goal. He consistently comes with a hot streak that to rescue his season from the dumpster and create questions about whether he can find his way to a breakout season. It happens every seasons. Will likely happen again this season.

Reactions: Sam Spade

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yes, consistently. Every season. Burakovsky goes 20 to 30 games in a row without a goal. He consistently comes with a hot streak that to rescue his season from the dumpster and create questions about whether he can find his way to a breakout season. It happens every seasons. Will likely happen again this season.

I would love to see a study done on how effective PP time is at preventing scoring slumps. Maybe its not much, as Kuzy Nick - many top tier players go long stretches with very few goals, even WITH PP time.

IIRC Kuzy went 15 games with 1 goal just this spring. Nick had what was it, 1 goal in 20 games, just this past winter? Suddenly little ole Burkie in a slump is an easier pill to swallow.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I would love to see a study done on how effective PP time is at preventing scoring slumps. Maybe its not much, as Kuzy Nick - many top tier players go long stretches with very few goals, even WITH PP time.

IIRC Kuzy went 15 games with 1 goal just this spring. Nick had what was it, 1 goal in 20 games, just this past winter? Suddenly little ole Burkie in a slump is an easier pill to swallow.

Yeah but Kuzy never went more than three games without a point and that happened once. Burka had an eight, seven, six and two five game runs without points.

It's actually easier just to say Burakovsky had at least one point in 22 of his 76 games played, in all the other games he had zero. ;)

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah but Kuzy never went more than three games without a point and that happened once

And Kuzy was ripped many times for his lack of even strenth scoring in stretches last season. The difference is that when Kuzy wakes up he is Kuzy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad