Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky to Colorado for COL 2nd and ARIZ 3rd (both 2020) and Scott Kosmachuk

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why does everyone hold that Tampa game up as Burakovsky being amazing? I get he scored two goals, but we won the game 4 to nothing and beyond those two breakaways he was pretty meh.
Watch the game again. Tampa controlled play for a long time between Ovies PP goal and Burakovskys. His goals were the back breakers that broke Tampa’s spirit.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
The guy who’s played the most playoff games since he’s been in the league who is at this minute training with our best young roster player

This, seriously. Are we seriously not preferring a guy like Hagelin exchange for Burakovsky...?

Even just play aside, I think culturally Hagelin is going to be huge. He's a consumate professional who is going to help guys like Viana and other young guys who will be in the bottom 6. GMBM and Reirden love this guy as a player, but I think they wanted him as a mentor just as much.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The guy who’s played the most playoff games since he’s been in the league who is at this minute training with our best young roster player

Hagelin is not popular at all in some quarters here. Overpaid, overvalued 4th liner. The team loves him and that makes it even crazier

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
New additions make Caps hard to play against and hard to score against.

Add to that GOAT goalscorer and motivated goalie.

Means no easy wins for any team next season.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Watch the game again. Tampa controlled play for a long time between Ovies PP goal and Burakovskys. His goals were the back breakers that broke Tampa’s spirit.

Agreed. Those goals were HUGE.

I will always be grateful to Andre for his role in the Cup run. I also won't be terribly surprised if that ends up being his career apex.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I'm in the camp of "if he was going to be a great player in DC, he would be so already"

If he breaks out in Colorado then good for him (no sarcasm meant), I just don't see that ever happening for him with the Caps.

Whether it's lack of opportunity (which I think is a bit doubtful) or just the vibe that I seemed to pick up that he was everyone's little brother, it didn't fall into place for him here.

If he does break out and become a regular 50 point player then I won't be lamenting over us "losing" the trade, he wouldn't have been that player for us here, and GMBM can now pick up the phone and make more trades with COL saying how we gave them their second line scorer and their starting goalie and try to use the whole "we've let you win a couple of trades, why don't you give us a bit of wiggle room on negotiations for this one"

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think our forward core actually is better now. There is less potential for sure, but that's the kind of potential that you kind of knew after last season that was just never going to break out here. Avalanche certainly think Burakovsky can do that for them, and i'm glad they do because the return is much better than i anticipated.

All in all, i hope it works out for Burakovsky, nothing against the guy. Frustrating player to watch for sure but he came through for us when we needed it so i don't hold a grudge for him. He's still one of the better picks from his draft and we got back nearly the same value as that 1st round pick we spent on him. It was the right time to move on, for both parties.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sure. But my point is, if he's already peaked at 24, we won't miss him.

I understood exactly what you meant. If Ovechkin scores those goals then they go into a long list of amazing career achievements. We can argue the apex/defining point endlessly because so many other moments are close.

With Bura there's not much else, and there may not be in the future.

Aka one-hit wonder.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I understood exactly what you meant. If Ovechkin scores those goals then they go into a long list of amazing career achievements. We can argue the apex/defining point endlessly because so many other moments are close.

With Bura there's not much else, and there may not be in the future.

Aka one-hit wonder.
Indeed. Although the Ovie comparison may not be quite fair. I mean, how many NHLers can compare with him? But the point is, how likely are there to be other noteworthy moments or is he, as you say, a one-hit wonder? He got 2 key goals and assisted on a Cup-clincher which is great. But in theory he's got his whole career ahead of him and that may well be the best he'll ever do, so we already got his best.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
7pts, 6pts, 9pts, 3pts, 10pts, 10pts. Is was last season. Someone toiling on our useless B6.

You may value regular season consistency more than me. Lucky for you we kept Vrana, who is more consistent in the RS than Bura.

I prefer to weigh much more heavily, recent post season point production per GP or TOI

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You may value regular season consistency more than me. Lucky for you we kept Vrana, who is more consistent in the RS than Bura.

I prefer to weigh much more heavily, recent post season point production per GP or TOI
So you would have had DSP on the 3rd line rather than Hershey. Eh?

Reactions: RandyHolt

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
What up Caps fans?

Avs fan here.

I’m seeking your wisdom on Andre Burakovsky. It looks like he had a promising start to his career, but struggled last season.

I see he didn’t get a lot of ice time last year, did he get on the PP at all?

Do you think he could hit 40+ points with us? He will likely be playing on our first line with MacKinnon, or second line with Kadri.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
What up Caps fans?

Avs fan here.

I’m seeking your wisdom on Andre Burakovsky. It looks like he had a promising start to his career, but struggled last season.

I see he didn’t get a lot of ice time last year, did he get on the PP at all?

Do you think he could hit 40+ points with us? He will likely be playing on our first line with MacKinnon, or second line with Kadri.

You're getting a talented, inconsistent winger who before 6 months ago, looked like a lost cause and people were begging for him to be traded. He was put on the 4th line and started to play a better two way game and he produced a little better.

He's a scoring winger who hasn't shown any consistency in scoring. He has been given ample minutes and linemates to produce better than he has. I think he's a good 3W on a good team. I think any team consistently putting him in their Top 6 has some pretty severe depth problems on their wings, at least in his current state of play.

If he plays in the top 6 with some PP time and can't hit 40, that will be a disappointment. But he's a nice kid who wants to do well, so I hope for his sake he can do a good job.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You're getting a talented, inconsistent winger who before 6 months ago, looked like a lost cause and people were begging for him to be traded. He was put on the 4th line and started to play a better two way game and he produced a little better.

He's a scoring winger who hasn't shown any consistency in scoring. He has been given ample minutes and linemates to produce better than he has. I think he's a good 3W on a good team. I think any team consistently putting him in their Top 6 has some pretty severe depth problems on their wings, at least in his current state of play.

If he plays in the top 6 with some PP time and can't hit 40, that will be a disappointment. But he's a nice kid who wants to do well, so I hope for his sake he can do a good job.

Dang... that’s a little discouraging. Appreciate the insight though.

See ya’ll in the cup final.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Dang... that’s a little discouraging. Appreciate the insight though.

See ya’ll in the cup final.

I think Avs fans just need to be realistic about what they have. A lot of them think he's going to be automatically a good top 6 player with guys like Rantanen, McKinnon, etc. But he had plenty of time in years past with Kuznetzov, Backstrom, Oshie, even Ovechkin at times when he was RW. He wasn't super productive.

If you accept him as a useful but inconsistent 12 minutes a night guy him keep developing his two way game, you'll be fine.

Just a warning; he has the slowest wrist shot release I've ever seen for a guy who actually has a good shot. I used to actually count seconds it took to set up and release.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Avs fans just need to be realistic about what they have. A lot of them think he's going to be automatically a good top 6 player with guys like Rantanen, McKinnon, etc. But he had plenty of time in years past with Kuznetzov, Backstrom, Oshie, even Ovechkin at times when he was RW. He wasn't super productive.

If you accept him as a useful but inconsistent 12 minutes a night guy him keep developing his two way game, you'll be fine.

Just a warning; he has the slowest wrist shot release I've ever seen for a guy who actually has a good shot. I used to actually count seconds it took to set up and release.

I noticed that in the highlights I watched. It’s a powerful wrist shot, but wow does it ever take a long time to get off his stick. Hope he doesn’t think the game slow

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I noticed that in the highlights I watched. It’s a powerful wrist shot, but wow does it ever take a long time to get off his stick. Hope he doesn’t think the game slow

I've said this before but I think that's exactly his problem. He's slow to react to what's happening on the ice sometimes and gets shut down or closed out because of it.

He's done his best work after a demotion or benching. If you can consistently dangle a carrot in front of him and keep him motivated, maybe playing a line down, he may produce. But he's also looking for top 6 minutes so he won't be happy on the 3rd and may get too comfortable on the 2nd.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He's scored some big goals for the Caps in the playoffs.

I think he'll be a pleasant surprise for the Avs.

Oh and yes, a Caps vs Avs SCF would be fun. :)

He scored exactly two big goals for the Caps in the playoffs and he did it in the same game. To quote Andre himself on the ice after the Tampa game seven, "It's about f***in' time!".

He also had a really awesome assist in the Final (that was also assisted by Luca Sbisa ;) ).

He scored 9 goals in 56 playoff games while avg. over 12 minutes. He was very bad, and often healthy scratched, in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad