Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel, c.'23 3rd for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, c.'22 1st (Top10 protected), c.'23 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
So would Buffalo, but you have to work with what you've got. The Sabres weren't going to have Eichel at this point, so anything is better than nothing. In terms of potential payoff, at least it looks better than the O'Reilly trade.

Definitely better than the O'Reilly trade, Tuch alone is likely worth more than they got for ROR.

I don't see it being that awful, sure they'd rather have Eichel, but with the situation being what it was they were lucky to get what they did. Honestly it's probably better than the rumored four 1st's return.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I do wonder whether the VGK are already writing the 21-22 season down because the injury bug has struck so hard, and are looking forward to 22-23 in which case they'll have all summer to deal with the Eichel cap hit. On the other hand, if they can get Pach and Stone healthy, they do have a chance it being the Pacific division.
Would explain why it was important for them to lottery protect it.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
WOW.

Of all the 31 teams, the one that made the most sense for him to be traded to is where he got traded to.

Now the game is played on the ice, we'll have to see if Eichel hasn't lost a step or if the fit is good, but on paper, that's a perfect fit to me. Good job GK.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Why wouldn't it be? It would show they were wrong in forcing him into their surgery and they played with a young stars career due to stubbornness.

Maybe not to you but it's a bad look to me.
Because they weren't wrong. The option they provided was what they were comfortable with. They also didn't play with his career., He chose not to get fusion (I 100% agree with him btw) and then kept giving the media tidbits about how unhappy and unfair things were. If I am a player, I am more upset at the CBA than the team following it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
THIS IS A WIN FOR BUFFALO

IF we are basing this off the horrible proposals from other teams in the Eichel Mega-Thread

Take Your L's

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
A 17 overall is barely a blue chipper. He's a good prospect. No need for superlatives. Of course calling him untouchable is equally wrong.

He fell to 17. A lot of people had him as a late top 10. Cole Caufield fell to 15 that year, I doubt anyone would consider him "barely a blue chipper".

Reactions: Dubi Doo

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Granted, these are two different things. However, because the risk of surgery isn't known, you can't claim that it's not a risky surgery, just like one should not claim that it is a risky surgery. Unknown is unknown.

I would not piss on any GM's. They have people helping them who know about medicals and the risk management more than you or I ever will. The reason Sabres did not get better return for Eichel is most likely the same reason why the Sabres would not let Eichel have the surgery he wants to begin with.
We of course don't know all the details of these negotiations, but I think there's a reason teams like Carolina, Florida, and Vegas have risen right to the top based on acquisitions of players who were available to other GMs. In many cases, those acquisitions didn't cost that much. That's because other GMs didn't value those good players as much and therefore didn't get those players and now have worse rosters as a result. I believe this is a similar situation. 2 years from now, Vegas is still going to be a very strong team, stronger than many of the other teams who could have afforded to pay even more for a top player, but didn't due to risk aversion or just poor judgment.

I wasn't as precise with my language as i should have been. To clarify, the surgery itself is NOT risky based on all data available. It has a very high success rate. The problem in this case is that the surgery is being applied to a person who plays professional hockey, and there is no data on that, so the risk this particular case is unknown. My point was that the unknown risk in this case isn't the same as high risk, but many are equating the two.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
One thing is for sure, Buffalos locker room got better, see ya drama king. i wonder how long it takes for Krebs to demand Granato be fired before he commits to the team?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Eichel comes back from his ADR surgery and is as good as ever, it will be a bad look on Sabres management for forcing him to sit for so long and miss the Olympics.
No it wont... if it's unsuccessful they (buffalo) don't want to be on the hook for the remainder of his contract like Islanders were with Depietro... or at least that's what I assume was buffalo's concern. It's simply a risk they didn't want to take...otherwise they could have and received a much better package for him. So they also are taking a potential loss too by trading him injured.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A 17 overall is barely a blue chipper. He's a good prospect. No need for superlatives. Of course calling him untouchable is equally wrong.

All 1st round picks start out as blue chip prospects that's why they are 1st round picks

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I agree, when an elite, young #1 center comes on the market (unless the reason is heinous) every Gm in the opposite conference should be all in. Good on McC for going all in.
I think it’s also a realization that the Vegas market is fickle and not being able to bring a championship with a hot crowd will kill them financially down the road when fans stop going to games.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Will eichel be the same player after recovering from his neck injury? Seems a gamble is apropos for vegas?
I think he'll be just fine and the surgery stuff is overblown. This is a good trade for both teams, but I give the edge to Vegas for getting the best player in the deal.

Buffalo had no choice though, and they had to finally do it. Tuch is a force, and Krebs looks legit. Nice deal where both teams should be happy.

As a Canucks fan, I'm not happy as Vegas just got way better (once Eichel plays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad