Bryan Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I hope Bickell silences every critic in Chicago for multiple reasons. One, that'd mean he's contributing to a cup run and he ate up 4m in cap space this year, so it would be nice to get SOMETHING out of the guy, better late than never. Two, it increases the likelihood we can move him in the summer without retaining 50%, include our top prospects or having to buy him out. Three, it will fill the Q needs a heavy bottom 6 player box and keep Mash frequenting the pressbox throughout the cup run.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
I'm torn on this. On one hand, he would definitely come in handy against a team like the Blues or Ducks.

On the other, I don't want him taking the spot of someone like Panik, who actively contributes every time he is on the ice.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I hope Bickell silences every critic in Chicago for multiple reasons. One, that'd mean he's contributing to a cup run and he ate up 4m in cap space this year, so it would be nice to get SOMETHING out of the guy, better late than never. Two, it increases the likelihood we can move him in the summer without retaining 50%, include our top prospects or having to buy him out. Three, it will fill the Q needs a heavy bottom 6 player box and keep Mash frequenting the pressbox throughout the cup run.

The Hawks aren't going to buy out Bickell. Would be very dumb. Worst case: bury him in Rockford again, with $3.05M against the cap.

Mash won't sniff the PO ice, regardless of Bickell's presence.

Yes, a good performance by Bickell makes it much easier for the Hawks to move him. But there's risk involved: he's just as likely (probably more) to bring a line down. Physical presence and hits mean something, but not worth the cost of making a line ineffective.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm not saying I like the Bickell that we saw play in Chicago this season. There was something wrong with him, whether it was physical or not. Don't know.

.... but is beyond stupid to suggest that a player who is fighting for his NHL life will come in and play lazy. BEYOND!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bobby he's already done just that this year. He was already sent down and recalled once, then sent down again because of lackluster play.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
.... but is beyond stupid to suggest that a player who is fighting for his NHL life will come in and play lazy. BEYOND!

But that's already happened. We get it, you like Bickell. He was a good player for a few years, but that time has passed for a while now.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Bickell
23GP 0G 2A 2P
9:45 TOI/G

Weise
13GP 0G 1A 1P
9:54 TOI/G

Almost carbon copy of each other.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not surprised at all....if he can contribute as he did when he earned the contract we will feel as though we hit the jackpot...both for this years post season and having Stan have the ability to sell his contract...

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not saying I like the Bickell that we saw play in Chicago this season. There was something wrong with him, whether it was physical or not. Don't know.

Your allegiance is too strong and a bit blind IMO. Bickell was a lazy player in Jrs. Bickell was a lazy player up until 2013 playoffs and went right back thereafter.

It's been the rap on him his whole career. Was there an injury hampering him as well? Maybe, but if he's cleared to play he should have been balls to the wall a long time ago. He plays 12 minutes a freaking game.

I have no use for him at this point.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Agreed. Weise is actually pretty solid. Got a feeling he's gonna start cashing pretty soon.

Weise seems like a prime candidate to be this year's guy who doesn't score a single goal all regular season with the Blackhawks and then gets 3 crucial GWGs in the playoffs.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'll never question a player's effort.

If Bickell's skill/health/whatever has deteriorated to the point he simply can't play at an NHL level anymore, so be it. Unfortunate for him and the Blackhawks, given how effective he was when he was at the top of his game.

But I'm not prepared to say he's not trying, or he's lazy. And short of anybody having the ability to enter his brain and body, such judgments are entirely based on subjective notions of what effort looks like, never mind confirmation bias and whatnot.

It's the same garbage was when people say 'he doesn't care' or 'they don't care'. You don't know. You can speculate based on context and on precedent, but it's still purely speculation with no actual facts to base it on.

Focus on what you can actually measure. Leave the rest to the team's sports psychologists.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

If Bickell's skill/health/whatever has deteriorated to the point he simply can't play at an NHL level anymore, so be it. Unfortunate for him and the Blackhawks, given how effective he was when he was at the top of his game.

But I'm not prepared to say he's not trying, or he's lazy. And short of anybody having the ability to enter his brain and body, such judgments are entirely based on subjective notions of what effort looks like, never mind confirmation bias and whatnot.

It's the same garbage was when people say 'he doesn't care' or 'they don't care'. You don't know. You can speculate based on context and on precedent, but it's still purely speculation with no actual facts to base it on.

Focus on what you can actually measure. Leave the rest to the team's sports psychologists.

You've already forgotten all those zhit games from Bickell before any injury?

WOW, talk about recency bias, from a stats guy.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

What would you call Bickell's performance the last time he was called up?

He is a lazy scrub who robbed Hawks blind and should give every penny he has made since signing deal to #19 and #88

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I'm sure you've seen a recent BMI test of Seabrook before you came up with every way you could of calling him fat the past few weeks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The thing with Bickell is, he could be so much more, that's why people question his will. Some guys coast after getting a fat contract.

Bickell could use his body so much more, and it would create so much more on the ice for him. But he chooses not to do it anymore, and tries to be a play maker. His knees could be shot, we don't know that, but what I do know is before his his knees were hypothetically shot he did the exact same things. When he did play the way he was capable of, it paid huge dividends. That's where lazy comes from, I think.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1.Put him on the Sushi only playoff diet.

2.Let the hitting begin.

3.Mash to the bench .

4.Is this a playoff structural move or is the concern that Hossa and or Shaw are toast for playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad