Brutal crosscheck by Morrissey on Staal (upd: one game suspension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
So you think a guy in his second year as a Jet and has never had any issues was trying to hit him in the head so he can miss a game?
Well of course, who doesn't intentionally try to get a 5 minute major against their team in the playoffs? I'm sure he thought that if he did this in the center of the zone, he be able to get away with it!

Seriously, who in their right minds thinks that a player would intentionally do something that would cost them a 5? Use some common sense people! 1 game for him not controlling his stick is fine and it would be if a similar play happened against us by an opposing player.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What!!!!?????
All they needed was that 5 minutes PP and 5 on 3 to score 1 goal and then everything changes. Ever heard about momentum? Its even more important in the playoffs.

Minnesota were robbed of a golden opportunity. Shame on those 2 refs.
Yes they missed the penalty. They also gifted Minnesota a 5 on 3 the previous game (cheap call on Lowry) and missed the headshot by Foligno and and and

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
is there a clip of this head butt? I did not see it. Edit - just saw it. Meh. Stupid play but hardly suspendable. He tapped Chairot in the visor.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Could have been more. For now I’m just happy we don’t have to hear he’s not that kind of player anymore. He is now officially “that kind of player”.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What Kadri did was objectively much worse than this. Enjoy your indignation.

Sorry you feel that way. Hockey is the best game in the world, to bad more fans couldn't be objective about what happens on the ice. Keep on hatin', folk like you are going to go crazy watching for the next decade or so. Awwwww.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I agree that Scheifele got hit right before the boarding play. I don't know what Morrissey thought at that time, but I saw him make a pretty standard defensive play, albeit with an unfortunate outcome.

I totally get how you arrived at your conclusion- I just don't think those dots necessarily connect.
Fair enough.

Look Boston isn’t full of saints.

I just get tired of the League seeming to make calls based on what “sort of player” is involved and seeming to decide what if anything to do from there.

As you suggest, it is hard to determine intent. Penalize what you see as cheap or dangerous — regardless of who it is. From there, prior history should come into play in terms of severity of penalty. Not before.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Kadri took a full speed run at him, left his feet and launched his body into his head. Yeah, it's a little worse.

Barely hit the guy versus a blatant and clear stick chop to the head of an unsuspecting player. It's a joke that this is even a talking point. I understand that some folk just hate every and any thing about the Maple Leafs but let's get serious here for a moment if we may.

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
Speaking of serious, you can't be if you deem that Kadri "barely hit the guy". It was intent to injure, fully deserving of his suspension. If I may.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So Morrissey, Myers, Kulikov& Enstrom all out?

Barely hit the guy versus a blatant and clear stick chop to the head of an unsuspecting player. It's a joke that this is even a talking point. I understand that some folk just hate every and any thing about the Maple Leafs but let's get serious here for a moment if we may.

Ya..

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Morrissey got 3 games, Kadri deserved a minimum of 5 for his hit.

Punishment fits the crime here. I suspected a one game suspension or fine. Wasn't an intentional target to the head but still a reckless play that should have been a penalty.

Lmao wasn’t intentional

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's hypocritical about the facts and the truth?

btw - how do you know what another person's intent is?

You're entire statement was hypocritical and when facts and truth hit you, you completely ignore it. Like when I said History + Intent = longer suspension you completely ignore it and counter with a dumb response that doesn't argue you're point at all.

And the intent is clear with Kadri. Here are more facts and truths for you to ignore:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
You're entire statement was hypocritical and when facts and truth hit you, you completely ignore it. Like when I said History + Intent = longer suspension you completely ignore it and counter with a dumb response that doesn't argue you're point at all.

And the intent is clear with Kadri. Here is the facts and truth for you to ignore:

see post# 666, if the roles were reversed you would say the exact opposite of what you are saying whereas my stance would be the exact same. Oh well, have fun.

btw - I did not ignore the inane comment about intent but I'm not surprised you ignored it. Yawn.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
One game suspension actually works out quite well for the Jets. Jets polish off the Wild next game and Morrissey is rested and ready for round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad