Brutal crosscheck by Morrissey on Staal (upd: one game suspension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
does this mean more minutes for Chiarot? That could be the hidden key to victory.

More than likely Sami Niku draws in. My guess is with Trouba.

Kids been tearing up the AHL and has 1 NHL game where he scored on his first shot on goal. Could be the kids chance to get a spot and run with it. He's probably the best skating defencemen we've ever had.

Let's hope he can terrorize the Minny Wild like he terrorizes the Iowa Wild.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m ok with one game, he was careless with his stick and refs missed it. Bring on Niku!

Reactions: snowkiddin

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah that's bad.
Does this happened if the refs call the 5 minutes on Morrissey?

Yes I think so. It was much later in the game. That should be a suspension. A cross check that slides up and hits the guy in a head vs a deliberate head butt. Morissey obviously wasn't intending to injury or attack where as a headbutt obviously is.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Smh at most likely cost them the game. I can make up senarios too, I bet the Jets would have scored 5 goals while defending that 5 on 3.

Also nino niederreiter should have been given 5mins and a game for head butting. If that was called the jets would have obviously really ran up the score.
Yeah, I'm surprised the blatant headbutt by Niederatter wasn't called or suspended!

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
More than likely Sami Niku draws in. My guess is with Trouba.

Kids been tearing up the AHL and has 1 NHL game where he scored on his first shot on goal. Could be the kids chance to get a spot and run with it. He's probably the best skating defencemen we've ever had.

Let's hope he can terrorize the Minny Wild like he terrorizes the Iowa Wild.

chances are pretty good he's better than the pair of AHLrs we have playing. sigh.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yes I think so. It was much later in the game. That should be a suspension. A cross check that slides up and hits the guy in a head vs a deliberate head butt. Morissey obviously wasn't intending to injury or attack where as a headbutt obviously is.
Morrissey is 6 feet tall and Staal 6 '4"!?!?!??!
Ok:biglaugh:

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
If the refs call the cross check, maybe there isn't any frustration that leads to the headbutt.

The headbutt was 3 minutes into the second period.

I don't have a huge issue with the suspension, but it's ridiculous to suggest that everything that happened after is because of one missed call. There were, obviously, a number of them last night.

SwissGuy

Apr 13, 2015
According to the rule book.....

The act of head-butting involves a player making intentional contact, or attempting to make contact, with an opponent by leading with his head and/or helmet.
Double-minor Penalty - A double-minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who attempts to head-butt an opponent.
Major Penalty - A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who head-butts an opponent

Jets should have had a 5 minute powerplay on the nino headbutt. Can we now put to rest that the Morrissey cross check determined the direct outcome of the game.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Media plays up a hit, and that causes a suspension here. (Which was deserved)

Foligno on Trouba was also 100% suspendible. Way worse than Doughty's, except no one in the media brought it up, so its a good clean hockey play. :rant:

Can we talk about how ridiculous this makes the Marchand Cross-Check fine in hindsight? I would have no problem with this suspension if they had suspended Marchand multiple games for his Cross-Check.

One of those calls is just flat out wrong. (and it's the Marchand one) Not sure how the standard can change so much in a month or two.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
There's some plausible deniability there. He probably did do it on purpose, but he didn’t really lean into it, so he will say he was just standing up and didn’t see the Peg player.

Ya that is nowhere near as vicious or even blantant as the cross check. Completely different categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad