Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
you've been around long enough to remember guys like Geoff courtnall... mike krushlinsky... tom fergers... and a lot of other names you and I could toss out as we play the memory lain game. not every 'pretty good prospect' is ultimately going to find a long term home on his original team.

in order for a forest to grow and be healthy... sometimes some deforesting is necessary. sometimes you even need a devastating fire to clear the room for the new trees to get the room they need to grow.

any kid might be traded... and its possible the trade wont work out. any kid might be traded and its possible the trade might work out.

team results are ultimately how I measure a trade

brett hull was a pretty good prospect when Calgary traded him... and their only Stanley cup in franchise history followed

jarome iginla was a pretty good prospect when dallas traded him... and their only Stanley cup in franchise history followed

eric Lindros was a generational prospect when Colorado/Quebec traded him... and they won that trade too.

better prospects than danton heinen have been traded when we look at our history books. sometimes it didn't work... sometimes it did

and better prospects will be kept here even if we were to trade danton heinen. I say Bjork/debrusk/cehlerik/even senshyn are guys I prioritize to give growth room to on the wings over the next 2-3 years

I know its never a popular choice to trade away kids that we have attactchments too. I was in angst when we traded Jordan caron, and kevyn adams, and kyle wanvig escaped, and cameraon mann disappeared. danton heinen is better than all of them put together I'm sure but is he better than randy burridge or shawn bates?

if I'm wrong and the team sees him the way you see him... no worries... he wont be dealt. but if he is just a run of the mill guy who might be a 45-50 point guy without a lot of jam to his game, then I think we got better prospects that deserve the opportunity to stay and grow with us and become more special.

I have never said I believe heinen cant play in nhl... I wouldn't be using him as a sweetner if I thought he had no value

Well if you value him why are you including him in a package for junk?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I remember them very well especially Fergus and Courtnall off the ice

Interestingly when Harry traded Courtnall and Fergus I was bat dhit angry

600 NHL goals gone for a pile of steaming ****

I'm not a fan of your deal but you been watching hockey a long time and I focus on football and baseball during their seasons and only keep one eye on hockey until neither are playing

Been watching Heinen since college on TV and then in AHL - his progression has been excellent. He will end up better than anyone in this deal of yours to me and his versatility and smarts appeal to me

But if you think it's a good deal I trust you it is

JUST TO ADD (edit)

If I was the GM I never would have dealt Courtnall especially for what they got- and it was personal with Harry against him. Screw Harry on this one

I would never in a freaking million years deal Secord for O'Connell. I cant believe to this day 40 years later I'm still pissed about that,

Fergus for Delargo was again Harry pissed off for something off ice that wouldnt even be a blip on the radar- boys will be boys, and Harry ****ing just gave him away- horrible

Krushelnyski for Linseman I heard on the radio in 95 degree weather on route 128 Waltham and it made my day,,,,I remember it like it was yesterday

also, hated the McLeish deal and the Leach deal (although my sister was his kid Jamie's babysitter and he was often over our house and a fun little kid who ended up in the NHL himself)

its a shame I wasnt GM back

Heinen may not be what these guys were but he might and I know what Sutter is and Heinen can be much more valuable

you love to give up on kids

you wanted to deal Thornton in his early years for JR who was on the back nine

your a great fan but when I think of you, I think of selling low

was my thornton proposal worst than the one we ended up getting? the one I remember you and I debating... was

thornton to phoenix for roenick and tkachuk
but also
Allison to Philadelphia for Lindros and leclair

my plan was to have

Guerin/roenick/tkachuk
samsonov/Lindros/leclair

it was... swing at the fences type proposal... it might not have worked... but what did we get instead... and was it better?

ive been accused of selling low here for 15 years... 95% of the response I get to my proposals is I'm selling low. but how many of my proposals look better once we see what we really get?

fans say... the thornton trade didn't get enough... the seguin trade... the lucic trade... the Hamilton and boychuk trades... the kessel trade even... not enough... not enough

where is the pattern here? are fans normally not happy with the return? I know most of us are happy with the barry Pederson trade but on the day it was made I HATED IT! I'm a fan too... I often feel its not enough. but personally I think I have been happy with more trades than not

I remember being happy with kevin stevens... with al iafrate... with other trades that turned out bad but I liked at the time they were made

you give me too much credit when you say you would trust me... I know you are just having fun... but its still too much credit. my watching hockey doesn't make me infallible. but then again I'm like you in a way... I don't need to claim to be infallible. I don't think anyone else is infallible either. I don't see very many example of people that are right more than 50% of the time

if the average success rate is 50% and that's what I believe in... I'm willing to accept I'm wrong 50% of the time without feeling shame. I'm willing to let others be wrong 50% of the time before I blow a gasket

would trading heinen be 50% wrong? I mean... I love going back over history and heaven knows that most trades result in a winner and loser... in most trades there is someone that was wrong

but I'm also a big picture person. I don't think you need to win every single battle in order to win a war.

if we didn't have an ABUNDENCE of TOO MANY similar guys competing for TOO FEW spots... id feel much more gun shy about suggesting trading one or two to fill a hole

but we do have too many similar guys... and we do have holes. Is my trade idea the best one? probably not... but I'm not able to call the other gms and ask what is available or what they want.

I do defend my idea as one I think would help... getting cap space will help. adding 4th line experienced grit will help. a defensive responsible 3rd line center with size will help

I will trust my hockey knowledge enough to be certain of that

is the price too high? that's the question I like to debate... and I respect your position that you want to keep heinen. always enjoy being able to discuss these things

but at the end of the day... I want to trade some of the kids before they whither on the vine and die. it was more fun seeing peter kalus turn into mark recchi than it was having Jordan knight just go poof into the past

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
was my thornton proposal worst than the one we ended up getting? the one I remember you and I debating... was

but also

my plan was to have

Guerin/roenick/tkachuk
samsonov/Lindros/leclair

it was... swing at the fences type proposal... it might not have worked... but what did we get instead... and was it better?

ive been accused of selling low here for 15 years... 95% of the response I get to my proposals is I'm selling low. but how many of my proposals look better once we see what we really get?

fans say... the thornton trade didn't get enough... the seguin trade... the lucic trade... the Hamilton and boychuk trades... the kessel trade even... not enough... not enough

where is the pattern here? are fans normally not happy with the return? I know most of us are happy with the barry Pederson trade but on the day it was made I HATED IT! I'm a fan too... I often feel its not enough. but personally I think I have been happy with more trades than not

I remember being happy with kevin stevens... with al iafrate... with other trades that turned out bad but I liked at the time they were made

you give me too much credit when you say you would trust me... I know you are just having fun... but its still too much credit. my watching hockey doesn't make me infallible. but then again I'm like you in a way... I don't need to claim to be infallible. I don't think anyone else is infallible either. I don't see very many example of people that are right more than 50% of the time

if the average success rate is 50% and that's what I believe in... I'm willing to accept I'm wrong 50% of the time without feeling shame. I'm willing to let others be wrong 50% of the time before I blow a gasket

would trading heinen be 50% wrong? I mean... I love going back over history and heaven knows that most trades result in a winner and loser... in most trades there is someone that was wrong

but I'm also a big picture person. I don't think you need to win every single battle in order to win a war.

if we didn't have an ABUNDENCE of TOO MANY similar guys competing for TOO FEW spots... id feel much more gun shy about suggesting trading one or two to fill a hole

but we do have too many similar guys... and we do have holes. Is my trade idea the best one? probably not... but I'm not able to call the other gms and ask what is available or what they want.

I do defend my idea as one I think would help... getting cap space will help. adding 4th line experienced grit will help. a defensive responsible 3rd line center with size will help

is the price too high? that's the question I like to debate... and I respect your position that you want to keep heinen. always enjoy being able to discuss these things

but at the end of the day... I want to trade some of the kids before they whither on the vine and die. it was more fun seeing peter kalus turn into mark recchi than it was having Jordan knight just go poof into the past

I don`t want any prospects to "whither" either Alberta but do you feel they are at this stage? Not arguing, just asking as I see O`Gara in year 2, Grizz as well I believe? JFK/Senyshyn/Gabrielle all rooks, is there a prospect you feel in Providence who is in danger of being blocked when they should be up at this stage?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
How about Ryan Spooner for Jon Merril?

It would give Vegas a playmaker for the PP where they're in the bottom third of the league.

It would give Boston a LH'd puck mover for the 3rd pair.

Neither guy seems to be fitting well with their team (Merrill has been scratched 9 times this year). Both guys are 25, both are affordable...

Chara-McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Merril-Miller

I actually made the same proposal before the season started. Makes a lot of sense to me.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don`t want any prospects to "whither" either Alberta but do you feel they are at this stage? Not arguing, just asking as I see O`Gara in year 2, Grizz as well I believe? JFK/Senyshyn/Gabrielle all rooks, is there a prospect you feel in Providence who is in danger of being blocked when they should be up at this stage?

Not to answer for AOF, but I think we've got prospects who are whithering. Czarnik and Vatrano have been given the short end of the stick since day 1 of training camp. Even when they're in the lineup they're on the 4th line seeing limited minutes.

I think Bjork and DeBrusk may be better players in the long run, but why waste assets? Vatrano and Czarnik could be good players too one day. I'd like to find out. Even if they're not in the plans, get something for them. If we keep going the way it's been, they're just going to get passed over, picked up by someone else for nothing, and maybe become the next Andrighetto.

Reactions: Bergyesque

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
two realistic targets in my mind...

1/ I feel it would be easy to get carl soderberg out of Colorado. the downside is 3 years at 4.75 mill is huge overpayment. the price I'm willing to pay has to be measured by how much I think he would bounce back coming home to boston and getting out of that hellhole Colorado situation? we'd have to balance the money too. I'm thinking first offer matt belesky for carl soderberg straight up... gives Colorado a 850 thousand dollar cap saving every year for 3 years. if Colorado is willing to eat a million dollars of the cap hit then I think we could throw in a dman like ogara maybe if they think he has a future. maybe a 3rd round pick instead of ogara? definitely try to balance out the cap hit.

I know we are short on depth at C at the moment, but really Carl Soderberg? I am not paying him that contract for 3 years just to patch a 6-8 week hole. Ultimately Soderberg is a 32 year old player who at his best was very mediocre, and honestly Boston didn't really trust him to play Center most of the time when he was her before. If this is the best we can do, then I do nothing.

I get that Belesky isn't working out in Boston, but by all accounts he has been a good soldier, and isn't causing a problem in the clubhouse. They are not cap blocked at the moment, so moving Belesky for an equally bad if not worse player who has a worse contract is beyond baffling to me

Matt Belesky has not lived up to his salary the last year plus, but by all accounts he is a good soldier and has not been causing issues in the clubhouse. The Bruins are not in Cap Hades at the moment, so there isn't an urgent need to deal him; although if you can make a deal that makes sense and makes your team better than you have to try and do it, even if it costs you more than true value perhaps. But no reason to deal him to bring back an older, equally if not more pathetic player who makes more money just makes no sense at all.

I get that Belesky isn't working out in Boston, but by all accounts he has been a good soldier, and isn't causing a problem in the clubhouse. They are not cap blocked at the moment, so moving Belesky for an equally bad if not worse player who has a worse contract is beyond baffling to me

Heck, I'd rather take Carlo or the #3 you suggest sending to Colorado, and just see if we can convince Toronto to send DoMo back.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know we are short on depth at C at the moment, but really Carl Soderberg?

Bruins dodged a huge bullet letting this guy walk in 2015 to seek a big contract elsewhere.

Why would they want to change the result of one of their smartest moves...i.e. not re-signing him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Is that Billy D as in Billy Derlago the moustached cossack
He scored a spectacular shortie I believe in Buffalo but that was it for his hilites here

I had a one of my folks best friends ask me what I thought about Courtnall and what I knew. This former player lived in my neighborhood and my folks every winter would go visit them and they would come down in the summer. My father would hook up with occasionally during season. He had a bunch of these guys around the game and if I didn't grow up with them I knew them

but also

my plan was to have

Guerin/roenick/tkachuk
samsonov/Lindros/leclair

i remember Thornton for JR I must have not read the entire posts that year and didn't see Tkachuk

No biggie I wanted to draft Stevens instead of Bellows because he was the toughest D man in draft

It turned out great but my intent wasn't he'd be a HOF but an animal who would wipe out the Habs forwards

Last edited:

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
He scored a spectacular shortie I believe in Buffalo but that was it for his hilites here

I had a one of my folks best friends ask me what I thought about Courtnall and what I knew. This former player lived in my neighborhood and my folks every winter would go visit them and they would come down in the summer. My father would hook up with occasionally during season. He had a bunch of these guys around the game and if I didn't grow up with them I knew them

i remember Thornton for JR
off topic, is there a GDT today I don't see it?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
how come, glorydaze4877?

Besides all the other reasons already mentioned, Bjugstad has always been a fake tough guy at best when we've faced him. Hard pass based on the ideology/logic behind the move..

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I really don't want them to make any trade until they revamp the pro scouting department. They are clueless.

Reactions: Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really don't want them to make any trade until they revamp the pro scouting department. They are clueless.

I`m not sure the B`s will be able to make a deal from strength with all these injuries. I don`t know that we`ll see a "revamp" anytime soon either.

I honestly am not close to being sure what this team is or will be, so hard to tell with so many playing in roles they aren`t ideally suited for. This will frustrate some, many who want to go get a tough guy or otherwise but I think the best course of action is to just keep rolling out the kids, hoping to stay in or around where they are right now and hope the return of some of the bodies helps improve the team and also gives DS a better idea of who they are

Totally OT: having issues with my HF page, some threads I visit I start to scroll down to continue reading other posts and all I get is a blank screen below posts I initially see up top? Weird

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not to answer for AOF, but I think we've got prospects who are whithering. Czarnik and Vatrano have been given the short end of the stick since day 1 of training camp. Even when they're in the lineup they're on the 4th line seeing limited minutes.

I think Bjork and DeBrusk may be better players in the long run, but why waste assets? Vatrano and Czarnik could be good players too one day. I'd like to find out. Even if they're not in the plans, get something for them. If we keep going the way it's been, they're just going to get passed over, picked up by someone else for nothing, and maybe become the next Andrighetto.

You could be right. I like some of the things I see from Czarnik, just not sure he`ll wind up being (in Boston or elsewhere) a guy who`ll find his way into a NHL lineup full time and I`m sorry, not one who buys the "seeing limited minutes" argument when assessing a player. I think regardless if a player is getting 16 minutes a night or 8 minutes a night, what they do with that TOI is on them. Obviously if someone is getting more minutes, they have a chance to do something but just getting more TOI isn`t necessarily a guarantee they`ll take advantage of that. I`m at the "done" point with FV, he`ll tease us all with that sublime release but leave you wanting way more than what he`s bringing.

Look at Heinen as the most recent example, recalled, handed 4th line minutes (I`m not sure what his TOI was initially) but his play forced Cassidy`s hand, he took those modest minutes, teammates not known for slick hands and just did his thing, did it well and in recent games has earned the trust and is getting rewarded for his sound play.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
I`m not sure the B`s will be able to make a deal from strength with all these injuries. I don`t know that we`ll see a "revamp" anytime soon either.

I honestly am not close to being sure what this team is or will be, so hard to tell with so many playing in roles they aren`t ideally suited for. This will frustrate some, many who want to go get a tough guy or otherwise but I think the best course of action is to just keep rolling out the kids, hoping to stay in or around where they are right now and hope the return of some of the bodies helps improve the team and also gives DS a better idea of who they are

Totally OT: having issues with my HF page, some threads I visit I start to scroll down to continue reading other posts and all I get is a blank screen below posts I initially see up top? Weird

if you're using an ad-blocker, a tweet will mess up the whole page like you've described. overall this site is maybe the worst i've ever seen. i mentioned earlier and am not kidding, it ruins my cable TV signal when I'm here. The screen gets pixelated. I tested very scientifically. PC off, good signal. PC on, good signal. browse to site, tv pixelation, stuttering, audio cuts out. not joking. probably the worst i've ever seen.

Reactions: Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
if you're using an ad-blocker, a tweet will mess up the whole page like you've described. overall this site is maybe the worst i've ever seen. i mentioned earlier and am not kidding, it ruins my cable TV signal when I'm here. The screen gets pixelated. I tested very scientifically. PC off, good signal. PC on, good signal. browse to site, tv pixelation, stuttering, audio cuts out. not joking. probably the worst i've ever seen.

ok thx, I do use ad-blockers for obvious reasons, so do I have to take off the blockers every time I want to jump on here? Now that you mention it, those blank spaces seem to be preceded by tweets

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
ok thx, I do use ad-blockers for obvious reasons, so do I have to take off the blockers every time I want to jump on here? Now that you mention it, those blank spaces seem to be preceded by tweets
yes, hfboards wins this round vis a vis blockers. you have to exclude the site

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yeah I think so, based on what we saw thus far. I think he is arbitration eligible again as well.

For a team to acquire him, they either have to really like him (and see him part of their team moving forward in order to qualify him at that amount), or they just see him as a stop-gap measure for this season. Either way, he ain't bringing back much.

I came across a Spooner pro stock stick the other day, and was surprised to see he uses a 65 flex stick, which is really low. Now certainly it's a personal preference for any player, I use a 75 flex and am shorter than Spooner but heavier, but I wonder if the whippiness of such a low flex stick is why he always seems to need to cup the puck when he receives it cross-slot on the PP, rather than unleash a one-timer. Just an observation.

I am not even sure that we can trust that is his flex. Finding sticks and liking one can be a pain. I have seen so many change angles but use the same name, Coffey has crazy curves but they changed over time. Companies alter patterns but leave the pro name on it. Comparing some with the same name, back to back you can tell a difference. It all goes by patterns anyways, you can make your own and get the factory to send it to the store. With a lesser flex all you need to do is put your hands lower down and you can control a one timer easier, has more to do with making sure he has the puck and not wiff on it. Then again he is a bumper passer more then a shooter like Kessel/Ovie. He seems to want to make sure too much instead of trusting his instincts, maybe all that second guessing under Claude is in his mind. That flex 65 is more like a intermediate flex, between kids and adult, I use a 75 - 85. I liked intermediates because of the weight and no slappers in men's leagues, no use for the stiff flex. I still prefer wood blades, better feel and less bounce off the blade. I even shaved down a few sticks to make them lighter, young guys must think I stole it from the Hall of Fame, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad