Confirmed Signing with Link: Bruins sign Mitchell Miller (Mod warning, Post 1350)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Most people are not the same person now that they were at 14 years old. I remember reading up on the incident he went to court over and according to the victims family he had been using slurs towards their son in the 1st grade also. That tells me this is something that was learned, and most likely at home since he's probably not hanging out with other kids on the streets at 6 years old. Most first graders aren't using derogatory terms for their classmates unless it's something learned from their environment.

IF he's matured and distanced himself from that type of behavior and learned from it then he deserves a 2nd chance. Learned behaviors can be a very difficult thing to break someone of, and consequences for those behaviors over time are something that can can truly lead a person to finally see their wrongs if they didn't see them at the time.

Unpopular opinion, but there's a reason they generally seal the records of kids under 18. Often times they don't realize the true gravity of their actions until they become adults.
Either a lot of people don't know this or they ignore it. This goes far beyond just the incident when he was 14 and this prepared statement shows they are trying to limit it to one incident. This was years of bullying and racist treatment that's getting overlooked.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
You guys just gave a 4 year contract to someone who's been accused of doing even worse things as an adult so don't pretend like Oilers fans wouldn't embrace this dude too if he scored goals.

Accused != admitted. There is no question what Miller did and it was disgusting. He may well be an actual sociopath.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
“Despite having a grossly incompetent GM, the bruins are off to a surprisingly good start”
Don Sweeney: “hold my beer”

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Real question for people saying that this is no big deal....

When does it stop being excusable for being a bullying and racist piece of shit?

Just curious at what point that stops being tolerable if 8th grade is too early in your minds.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Very glad Edmonton did not sign him, I would’ve legit walked away from the team. How you can cheer for a human being like this in any capacity is beyond me. I hope Bs fans feel shame today.
If they could feel shame they wouldn't be Bruins fans

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
In 2016, Miller and a classmate were found delinquent in an Ohio juvenile court on charges of assault and a violation of the Ohio Safe Schools Act.[4] The pair were accused and found guilty of forcing a developmentally disabled African American classmate, Isaiah Meyer-Crothers, to eat a piece of candy that they had wiped along the inside of a urinal, repeated bullying of Meyer-Crothers, and repeatedly calling him a Racial Slur.[13] Surveillance video also captured them kicking and punching Meyer-Crothers.[14]

The bullying incidents resurfaced after The Arizona Republic published an in-depth report on Miller on October 26, 2020.[15] The Republic exposé also revealed that Miller would frequently use the words "Racial Slur" and "BROWNIE" to refer to Meyer-Crothers and often told him to "go pick their cotton".[16] The Coyotes initially defended Miller, citing their desire to "be a part of the solution in a real way" and to help Miller grow from this incident and eventually become a leader against bullying and racism.[16][11] Although Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong did not draft Miller, he expressed the team's desire to provide Miller with a second chance.[16]

According to the Republic, Miller apologized to the then thirty-one NHL teams, but never to Meyer-Crothers or to his family.[16] In a letter addressed to the Coyotes, Meyer-Crothers' mother, Joni, found Armstrong's comments demeaning to her son, stating that while Miller's classmate apologized to Meyer-Crothers, Miller himself was unwilling to show contrition. A juvenile court magistrate in Ohio concluded that Miller had absolutely no remorse for his actions against Meyer-Crothers and was merely upset that his reputation would be damaged by the situation. As a result of the exposé, the Coyotes received widespread criticism for drafting Miller.[17] This ultimately led to the Coyotes renouncing their draft rights to Miller and cutting all ties with him.[10][11][18] Miller was subsequently dropped from the University of North Dakota hockey team on the direct orders of the university president Andrew Armacost. Miller was still however in good standing academically, and was allowed to continue attending classes at the university.[12]

More details about the bullying surfaced after The Independent published a detailed letter from the Meyer-Crothers family, reiterating that Miller has not apologized to the family, and detailing further accusations about Miller's behavior, starting as early as 1st grade.[19][20] These allegations include:

• calling Meyer-Crothers Racial Slur in first grade
  • along with a classmate smacking and punching Meyer-Crothers on the school bus
  • repeated uses of the word Racial Slur against Meyer-Crothers
  • spitting in Meyer-Crothers' face

Miller maintains that his court-mandated apology letter was read to the Meyer-Crothers family.[21]

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
Not only does this read as incinsere

Not only does this read as insincere, but it shows very little intelligence towards the severity of his actions. It doesn’t show any effort to change, or drive to improve as a person.
The kid did a bunch of stupid stuff while 15 and younger (he was clearly not the brightest bulb). You expect him to write some amazing letter months later? I have not seen anything about him doing anything wrong since. Kids do all kinds of stupid things. I am not condoning his actions in anyway. I also don't believe his life should be ruined for something he did 6+ years ago at 15. If he killed or even raped someone, that would be different but that is not the case.

Well if he read it in court, someone that was actually present should comment who does not have a horse in the race. He said she said is a really easy game to play. He either read it or did not, should be a pretty simple thing to confirm...

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
People can change, hopefully he’s really sorry and can use some of the pro money to redeem himself. This is hockey, not the clergy. Being above reproach in your personal history, especially when you were 14, is not part of the job.
Considering he bullied him since 1st grade and never apologized for any of it other than a weak apology for only one of the incidents, there is little evidence to say that he has put any work in to redeem himself. And let's not act like this was a simple case of immaturity in high school. What he did was horrendous. He can have a second chance at life, but the privilege to play pro hockey should not be available to people like this.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The bruins are going to have one shitty locker room when Miller makes the team and all of Bergeron, Krejci, and Chara are gone

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lol when I was in 8th grade I used to run around the playground imagining I was a airplane. I don’t even think I’ve heard the word disabled in my life at that point let alone be able to spell it. Why is this man being judged for something he did as a child. So ridiculous. Brendan Gallagher used to punch his own elderly grandfather in the nuts as a kid. Isn’t that far worse then callling a kid in a wheelchair a mean name.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The bruins are going to have one shitty locker room when Miller makes the team and all of Bergeron, Krejci, and Chara are gone
I guess we can be happy Miller is a defenseman who is going to be on the receiving end of 1000 boarding penalties

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Lol when I was in 8th grade I used to run around the playground imagining I was a airplane. I don’t even think I’ve heard the word disabled in my life at that point let alone be able to spell it. Why is this man being judged for something he did as a child. So ridiculous. Brendan Gallagher used to punch his own elderly grandfather in the nuts as a kid. Isn’t that far worse then callling a kid in a wheelchair a mean name.
No? Are you okay dude?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Good.

Short of murder or rape, everybody deserves a second chance if they earn it. From all indications (his coaches, teammates, etc.) this kid has conducted himself in an upstanding manner s an adult.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
8th grade? Has he had issues that came out after that? Something you did in 8th grade doesn't completely draw a picture of what you are today. If he's gone on record laughing about it or continuing to be a jerk and or bully, that's different.

Exactly. Something you did at 14 years old in eighth grade doesn't define the rest of your life. I did some pretty stupid shit at 14 but like most I matured, grew up and learned from it.

Reactions: Field of Dreams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad