Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Who is a good comparable for Senyshyn...Viktor Stalberg? Maybe that's the calibre of player he will be. Might be wishful thinking to expect any more.

i see a right-handed michael grabner. he has dimensional speed, it's just a matter of honing the rest of his game
and putting it all together. think he's another full AHL year away from challenging for a spot.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
i see a right-handed michael grabner. he has dimensional speed, it's just a matter of honing the rest of his game
and putting it all together. think he's another full AHL year away from challenging for a spot.
sounds good to me and I`m AOK with a kid needing some time to develop. The B`s are in the luxury of not having to now force feed these kids NHL minutes before they are ready

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
sounds good to me and I`m AOK with a kid needing some time to develop. The B`s are in the luxury of not having to now force feed these kids NHL minutes before they are ready

Yep- for as much as people around here and elsewhere cry "bust" when an 18 or 19 year old doesn't step in to regular NHL minutes right our of junior or college, the Bruins know better and they have the patience and the setup to allow players like Zboril and Senny to develop at a pace that is appropriate for them.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
In terms of when Senyshyn might be considered a bust. First I want to see what happens when he gets a chance to play with talented players. Boston chose to develop him largely on the 4th line this year. This could be because they are frustrated with him, or it could be because they wanted him to focus on the defensive and other aspects of his game. This did mean that mostly whatever production Senyshyn got was production he created by himself.

If he isn't in a top 6 role, preferably top 3 at Providence next year, I am going to be very worried.

If he is given a top 6 role, then I expect we'll see 25 goals,, and yes if he goes 12G 15 assists playing with good players then there are deep concerns.

I would have loved to see him play some time with Czarnik down there this year, because that kid is a wizard at that level, and whomever he plays with sees heir stats jump
Yeah but I want to Senyshyn's stats jump because of what HE can do, not because of who he plays with. Although, I suppose it would probably be a combination of the two if he's in a top 6 role. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I think we need to see him fail when put in a position to succeed before we write him off. This year will probably tell a lot.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014

That's a good comparable.

Senyshyn doesn't have a whole lot in the way of skill or smarts, but he does have blinding speed and a good shot. I'd say he projects as a third-liner with above average goal scoring ability, kind of like Brett Connolly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah but I want to Senyshyn's stats jump because of what HE can do, not because of who he plays with. Although, I suppose it would probably be a combination of the two if he's in a top 6 role. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I think we need to see him fail when put in a position to succeed before we write him off. This year will probably tell a lot.

66 games into his pro career, I hope your not about to give up on him yet. There will never be a day IMO that anyone can every understand/predict when or why prospect A gets it quicker than prospect B regardless of draft position. Seny and Zboril will and have the pressure of being first round picks and of course, chosen before Barzal who had a terrific season so fans will use that as a barometer which, IMO, isn`t really wise.

We all could hit 30 teams boards, look at whom they drafted, then looked at whom other teams drafted and say "why didn`t they pick that guy" instead of the guy they chose. Every prospect develops at a different pace, some don`t end up making it. I have a good feeling about Senyshyn, towards the end of the year I was reading many positive comments from Divver and also many here posting their thoughts and clips of his game which looked to have a bit more confidence.

We`ll see how it goes, I suspect he`ll look more comfortable next season, probably put up some more pts than this one.

For transparency, I have NOT seen Seny play in Providence so I have had to rely on comments here and Divver who is a tremendous source who covers the PB`s

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If Senyshyn doesn’t pan out, he doesn’t pan out. Not every kid will. You draft as many as you can and hope to hit. By some of the kids taking longer, it actually helps them spread out incoming prospects so they don’t lose them to being bunched. People losing their mind over missed picks or picks taking longer to develope. Why? The team is in a good position. Compared to a couple of years ago, they have a direction and have retooled when most people thought a rebuild was in order.
The forwards taking longer is good. Hopefully one of either Lauzon or Zboril can push regardless of them acquiring a D or not.

Reactions: LouJersey

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
If Senyshyn doesn’t pan out, he doesn’t pan out. Not every kid will. You draft as many as you can and hope to hit. By some of the kids taking longer, it actually helps them spread out incoming prospects so they don’t lose them to being bunched. People losing their mind over missed picks or picks taking longer to develope. Why? The team is in a good position. Compared to a couple of years ago, they have a direction and have retooled when most people thought a rebuild was in order.
The forwards taking longer is good. Hopefully one of either Lauzon or Zboril can push regardless of them acquiring a D or not.

I don't believe that it's a simple as that when it comes to Senyshyn. He was a major reach in the first round of a draft (2015) generally considered to have been the deepest since 2003 (and which, with time, may surpass it). You really have to hope--and surely Sweeney and co. are--that Senyshyn becomes the 30-goal-scoring speedy winger that he is projected to be; otherwise, the pick will come to be seen as a mistake when some other players picked after him in the first round become stars (and a couple of them have already become just that).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don't believe that it's a simple as that when it comes to Senyshyn. He was a major reach in the first round of a draft (2015) generally considered to have been the deepest since 2003 (and which, with time, may surpass it). You really have to hope--and surely Sweeney and co. are--that Senyshyn becomes the 30-goal-scoring speedy winger that he is projected to be; otherwise, the pick will come to be seen as a mistake when some other players picked after him in the first round become stars (and a couple of them have already become just that).
So what if it was a mistake? They came away with other picks. Would it be easier for you if you switched Carlo for Zboril and JFK for Senyshyn?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So what if it was a mistake? They came away with other picks. Would it be easier for you if you switched Carlo for Zboril and JFK for Senyshyn?

I have to agree, so what? It's too bad we missed out on Barzal, Connor, or whoever, but it's also too bad for the teams that missed out on Carlo, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Grizz, Heinen etc. "Mistakes" will happen, but it is an imprecise business at best and no one is 100% at it except the Monday morning quarterbacks.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I have to agree, so what? It's too bad we missed out on Barzal, Connor, or whoever, but it's also too bad for the teams that missed out on Carlo, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Grizz, Heinen etc. "Mistakes" will happen, but it is an imprecise business at best and no one is 100% at it except the Monday morning quarterbacks.

So what? It will be quite the mistake if Senyshyn does not pan out, while the guy picked right after him is already a PPG #1 center in the making and the one after him put up 30 goals this season (although I think that he and Debrusk are about the same in terms of talent). As for this "mistakes will happen" and "it's an imprecise business" stuff, I think that everyone knew that the #16 and #17 picks, for example, were exemplary talents who were expected to be drafted in the first half of of the first round. That's not imprecise. No Monday morning quarterbacking needed to determine that those guys were going to do well in the NHL.

FWIW, I have no issue with the Zboril or Debrusk picks. Senyshyn is the big question mark at the moment.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Just out of curiosity when does Senyshyn get considered a bust by most? I know it's only one year of pro hockey for him so I may be overreacting to his lack of production but when you draft a supposed goal scoring winger I expect them to at least be able to score in the minors. If he has a similar year this year in Providence will the consensus then become he is a failed gamble or will it take another year or two after that? Once again not rooting against him just annoyed by the players that were left on the board and picked over him. I suppose they have to try and make the best of it now.
That's a good question,for me it would be at the end of his first contract,if he's still on the bottom 6 scoring 10-12 goals a year in Providence with minimal improvement then he's a bust.
I consider Joe Colborne a bust but he's been useful playing in over 300 NHL games,so in reality he didn't meet expectations with me but still turned out to be an NHL player,Buffalo fans consider Paille a bust but he was good for us.
I could go on... and I think I will
I remember the NYI announcer crowing about Boston passing on You Know Who 3 times but they were strangely quiet about taking Dal Colle and not Pastrnak.
I think Vancouver would like a do over for their #4 pick in 2016
Looking forward to the 2019 Koko returns thread

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So what? It will be quite the mistake if Senyshyn does not pan out, while the guy picked right after him is already a PPG #1 center in the making and the one after him put up 30 goals this season (although I think that he and Debrusk are about the same in terms of talent). As for this "mistakes will happen" and "it's an imprecise business" stuff, I think that everyone knew that the #16 and #17 picks, for example, were exemplary talents who were expected to be drafted in the first half of of the first round. That's not imprecise. No Monday morning quarterbacking needed to determine that those guys were going to do well in the NHL.

FWIW, I have no issue with the Zboril or Debrusk picks. Senyshyn is the big question mark at the moment.

It's a "so what" because there isn't anything to be done about it except to pull for our guy Senny to turn out well. Mistakes get made- "can't miss" guys do, and players people overlook or dismiss go on to be good ones. Unless you are suggesting Sweeney be fired for picking Senny instead of some others who are looking like the better picks right now then what really is the point of beating on this drum? Because honestly, I don't think there is a person on this board who doesn't agree that Connor, or Konecny or Barzal would have been better selections at this point. We all know it, but we have Senyshyn so it is what it is.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

When senyshyn was drafted it was well documented that he was a project type player and would take more time than other guys. He has incredible skating ability and is also extremely fast. He needs a little more seasoning at the ahl level but everyone expects big things out of his this coming off season.

Sensyshyn took a huge hit this year that kept him out a little bit. Hopefully he can come back from that and shake the cobwebs and put it all together at providence this season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That's a good comparable.

Senyshyn doesn't have a whole lot in the way of skill or smarts, but he does have blinding speed and a good shot. I'd say he projects as a third-liner with above average goal scoring ability, kind of like Brett Connolly.

I have never seen him live, but I think it’s a little disingenuous to say he doesn’t have skill. Someone who has watched him regularly could probably comment better on the hockey smarts part.

He seems to possess some skills?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Who is a good comparable for Senyshyn...Viktor Stalberg? Maybe that's the calibre of player he will be. Might be wishful thinking to expect any more.

Kasperi Kapanen.

Elite skating but needs time to develop defensively, could see him breaking in on the 4th line using that speed to harass defenders and then is given more opportunity once he sticks.

He was able to generate good opportunities against the Bruins in the 1st round despite his limited role.

He's got the skill to play in the top-9 but I think he might not start there.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
While I have been critical of where Senyshyn was picked vs where many scouting services had him ranked and Boston with multiple second round picks to use to get him I will say, unlike a Russian who wont be named, he has done everything asked of him, done it to the best of his ability and not complained. I do not have a problem with Senyshyn himself, he seems to have character and be coachable, the issue that will always be with him, right or wrong, is where he was selected.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I have never seen him live, but I think it’s a little disingenuous to say he doesn’t have skill. Someone who has watched him regularly could probably comment better on the hockey smarts part.

He seems to possess some skills?

I get a Steve Larmer NHL ‘95 saga vibe from him....go real fast down the wing with puck and cut to net

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Anyone know why Gabrielle didn't play for Regina in last night's Memorial Cup game? I know he was battling injuries during the playoffs but I would've thought he'd have rested enough to be able to play by now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

He likely won't live up to his draft slot.

But so what we are desperately missing someone with size AND speed. He might not have much else but he absolutely has both.

We probably missed on getting a star but all I've wanted from him the last couple years or since I saw him last preseason in person and was like 'oh shit this guy sucks and isn't close' on first glance is Danny Paille 2.0. If he gives us that we'll be fine. It will keep us from signing another Beleskey/Backes or throwing a 2nd/3rd rounder at a 20 point a year 3rd/4th liner at the deadline. But you might as well let him get stronger in Providence at this point and see if some offense develops.

Reactions: FanSince72

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know why Gabrielle didn't play for Regina in last night's Memorial Cup game? I know he was battling injuries during the playoffs but I would've thought he'd have rested enough to be able to play by now.

from what i've heard, he was ruled out for the tournament with a foot injury. he injured it late in the year, then
re-injured it in the playoffs. pretty big waste of a year for gabrielle.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
from what i've heard, he was ruled out for the tournament with a foot injury. he injured it late in the year, then
re-injured it in the playoffs. pretty big waste of a year for gabrielle.

I watched the game this morning, too, not realizing he was out and looked in vain for the guy. What a bummer. Well, he'll be in Providence next season, so he'll get a second chance to make a mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad