Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Yeah this is just Silly on both ends. Zboril may not have been the safest choice available, but if you want to go by the general consensus, he was pretty universally expected to be a top 15 pick, and was universally considered the best defenseman available when the Bruins picked

And he absolutely would return more than a 3rd round pick if the Bruins were to chose to shop him at the draft.

Senyshyn was a risk, and we will see if it will pan out I suspect he would still return more than a 3rd round pick, because the tools are very good, even if he didn't put it all together this year. Honestly my biggest frustration concern is that they never let him play with good players in Providence.

Heck if they had given him first line minutes next to Czarnik, maybe the tea would have been worse, but I'll promise you we'd be talking about 25+ goals, and 50 points (Czarnik is just that good at that level)

The article apparently touched off a nerve. The point here is that the Bruins did not get optimal return for 3 consecutive high picks. This doesn't mean they haven't drafted well in other drafts / rounds. They certainly have. But they could have done better in round 1 of the 15 draft regardless.
I hope I'm wrong on Zboril and Shensh but they don't look that promising to me.

Reactions: Fenian24

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Aside from the stupidity overall, what I hate is the idea that DeBrusk doesn't have any more room to grow. Why wouldn't he have room to grow? He's still just scratching the surface and he seems to get better every game.

I think he said he doesn’t have room to grow past what we saw in the postseason. So he doesn’t think he’ll exceed being about a 55 point player with 40 goals. I think debrusk can be a 30-30 guy. That’s pretty good.

Reactions: HustleB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The article apparently touched off a nerve. The point here is that the Bruins did not get optimal return for 3 consecutive high picks. This doesn't mean they haven't drafted well in other drafts / rounds. They certainly have. But they could have done better in round 1 of the 15 draft regardless.
I hope I'm wrong on Zboril and Shensh but they don't look that promising to me.

The Zboril pick was a given as he was the consensus top rated d-man at that point and time, but the Senyshyn pick with so many top quality players available who had unexpectedly slipped down. There was no need for the Bruins to take a stab at a dark horse and go off the charts to try and hit a Home-run.

But their line of think just might of been the complete opposite.

Knowing it was an extremely deep draft and having three more picks in the second round , their feeling may of been, that they were pretty sure of getting some gems with those picks, so why not take a risk on Senyshyn at that point and time. After all they did strike gold with Carlo and its looking like all Lauzon needs to do is stay healthy and JFK at worse will probably be a 3rd liner.

So its easy to be a Monday morning QB but the story of the 2015 draft is far from finished.

Last edited:

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yeah this is just Silly on both ends. Zboril may not have been the safest choice available, but if you want to go by the general consensus, he was pretty universally expected to be a top 15 pick, and was universally considered the best defenseman available when the Bruins picked

And he absolutely would return more than a 3rd round pick if the Bruins were to chose to shop him at the draft.

Senyshyn was a risk, and we will see if it will pan out I suspect he would still return more than a 3rd round pick, because the tools are very good, even if he didn't put it all together this year. Honestly my biggest frustration concern is that they never let him play with good players in Providence.

Heck if they had given him first line minutes next to Czarnik, maybe the tea would have been worse, but I'll promise you we'd be talking about 25+ goals, and 50 points (Czarnik is just that good at that level)

Ever think that was by design?

I’m far from a Senyshyn fan boy but if he put up 20-25 in Providence playing with czarnik do you think he would be in the gym (as hard this summer) or would have worked as hard this year on his defensive game?

Sometimes tough love is needed.

I expect him to have every opportunity to play a top 6 role in Providence next year. Barring injury his stock will rise.

Im as pissed as anyone that we don’t have White (who I still love) and Connor (I can’t say Barzal cause that’s not who I wanted) but Senyshyn still has a chance to develop and likely will contribute to an NHL team.

It just won’t likely bear the draft capital as anyone around him.

I hope he proves me wrong and I’m still mad Sweeney went off the board in a draft like that - yes we knew at the time that draft was special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just re-read it and it sounds like something someone wrote who is still angry. Almost certainly missed on Senny and Zboril and not much room to grow for Debrusk? Really?

For sure, Senyshyn and Zboril have the massive sample size of 66 and 69 AHL games under their belt, everyone and his sister knows if you haven`t shown your NHL ready by the 50 game mark, especially if your a D-man, your all but a bustaroo, never in my time watching this game have I ever seen a kid have a learning year in year one then go onto a solid NHL career:sarcasm:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I think its fair to say that Barzal and other picks were safer bets than Senyshyn and Zboril. They may develop but others drafted after them have already surpassed them. I'm guessing that they (Senyshyn and Zboril) wouldn't fetch a 3rd rounder at this point.

I don’t want safe bets. You could just fire a scouting staff and go with a BPA list. I want scouts that say, “don’t pass on this kid”. No prospect is a bust until they are sent to the ECHL with no comment from the organization.

Reactions: Dr Hook

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Let’s talk more about OUR prospects, like GW said.

I think Zboril and Lauzon are still extremely young defenseman but still have the tools to become good defenseman at the NHL level. Zach Senyshyn was asked to play more of a bottom 6 role, while trying learn more a complete game. Still thought he did ok. JFK had a little bad luck with injuries but got some experience under his belt. I still think Bjork is also going to stick, great skater and puck hound in college and saw flashes of that this year before his injury. Still needs to adjust/improve. I’m very excited for Frederic, good skater, pro frame/strength, great shot, two-way game. There’s a lot to like in the cupboard.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
I expect Zboril to Impress at camp and be one of the last cuts. Also expect Wiley Sherman to be better than everyone here thinks he is.
the only person that I hear many times talk about Sherman is Pierre McGuire he salivates over him I don't know enough about him except for what I read

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
the only person that I hear many times talk about Sherman is Pierre McGuire he salivates over him I don't know enough about him except for what I read

Pierre drives me nuts but he is pretty knowledgeable about prospects. He’s been right about a lot of Bruins players. Lately, Donato and McAvoy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Honestly, I'm not a big Sherman fan. I'd love to see him become an NHL regular but i just don't see it.

I think Little Z has a good chance of winning a spot out of camp. I love Grz and have for a long time, but he has not locked down that bottom pairing LD spot just yet. We have some good, internal competition coming up this fall.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Who is a good comparable for Senyshyn...Viktor Stalberg? Maybe that's the calibre of player he will be. Might be wishful thinking to expect any more.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who is a good comparable for Senyshyn...Viktor Stalberg? Maybe that's the calibre of player he will be. Might be wishful thinking to expect any more.

I haven't seen much of Senyshyn, but the little I have seen reminds me of a much better skating Bobby Ryan. Big body, not overly physical, offensive instincts with good hands.

Reactions: LouJersey

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just out of curiosity when does Senyshyn get considered a bust by most? I know it's only one year of pro hockey for him so I may be overreacting to his lack of production but when you draft a supposed goal scoring winger I expect them to at least be able to score in the minors. If he has a similar year this year in Providence will the consensus then become he is a failed gamble or will it take another year or two after that? Once again not rooting against him just annoyed by the players that were left on the board and picked over him. I suppose they have to try and make the best of it now.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In terms of when Senyshyn might be considered a bust. First I want to see what happens when he gets a chance to play with talented players. Boston chose to develop him largely on the 4th line this year. This could be because they are frustrated with him, or it could be because they wanted him to focus on the defensive and other aspects of his game. This did mean that mostly whatever production Senyshyn got was production he created by himself.

If he isn't in a top 6 role, preferably top 3 at Providence next year, I am going to be very worried.

If he is given a top 6 role, then I expect we'll see 25 goals,, and yes if he goes 12G 15 assists playing with good players then there are deep concerns.

I would have loved to see him play some time with Czarnik down there this year, because that kid is a wizard at that level, and whomever he plays with sees heir stats jump

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In terms of when Senyshyn might be considered a bust. First I want to see what happens when he gets a chance to play with talented players. Boston chose to develop him largely on the 4th line this year. This could be because they are frustrated with him, or it could be because they wanted him to focus on the defensive and other aspects of his game. This did mean that mostly whatever production Senyshyn got was production he created by himself.

If he isn't in a top 6 role, preferably top 3 at Providence next year, I am going to be very worried.

If he is given a top 6 role, then I expect we'll see 25 goals,, and yes if he goes 12G 15 assists playing with good players then there are deep concerns.

I would have loved to see him play some time with Czarnik down there this year, because that kid is a wizard at that level, and whomever he plays with sees heir stats jump

Reactions: Dom - OHL

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Reactions: Dom - OHL

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I had to like this post three times.

I was a huge fan of ZS in junior and glad the Bruins picked him. That said, he was always going to be a project and he still is. Most fans want to see immediate results and Senyshyn wasn't going to bring them.

A project usually involves finishing out his junior career and then spending a couple in the AHL. The Bruins are doing the right thing with him and I kind of feel sad that fans are declaring him "a bust" because they can't wait for that development to take place.

Seven or eight months after his draft, Bob McKenzie, who was the first to jump all over the Bruins on draft day said "It looks like the Bruins were right after all."

If, after next season, he doesn't take the next step, then I may say "okay, wrong pick, move on." But until then, I will wait on the development. Then again, I'm very patient when it comes to these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad