Dec 16, 2013
Looks like the 2014 draft could be epic

Pastrnak
Heinen
Bjork

Donato will join them and Johansson has a chance as well

No third or sixth even and they got this

Kudos to the entire scouting department for that group

Hadn't thought about that group as one class before. That is an awesome draft class. Donato looks like a top six guy and I think EJ gas a good chance to be a solid NHL defenseman.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Passing by to give an update on Vaakanainen. He seems to have solidified his spot on Saipa's 1st pairing, averaging about 23 minutes TOI per game. So far he has no points, although the whole team has been scoring very little, 3rd least in the whole league. As a positive, he has been on the ice for only 1 EV goal in 7 games.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If the 2014 draft can be anywhere near the 2006 draft (Kessel, Lucic, Marchand), this team will be in amazing shape going forward.

If only Alexandrov turned out to be anything for the Bruins, I over-rate all our prospects and I really thought he was going to be a top 4 no if's and's or doubt's.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Passing by to give an update on Vaakanainen. He seems to have solidified his spot on Saipa's 1st pairing, averaging about 23 minutes TOI per game. So far he has no points, although the whole team has been scoring very little, 3rd least in the whole league. As a positive, he has been on the ice for only 1 EV goal in 7 games.

I just wish the offense was coming around. I definitely don't mind him being a really good defensive D (ala Brodin), but it would be awesome if he could provide some O.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I just wish the offense was coming around. I definitely don't mind him being a really good defensive D (ala Brodin), but it would be awesome if he could provide some O.
I wouldn't worry at this point. He has shown solid offensive potential in the past. I will try to watch a game of his soon (realised only a few days aho that he has been playing) and maybe provide some comments.

Reactions: DKH

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
This is a great single page view if you want to compare the lean drafting years to the productive ones.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_by_team.php?TeamID=52
2006 was definitely the best Bruins draft in a generation. They got 3 first line wingers.

It is still very early but 2014 definitely does look like it could match or best that. We won't know just how good for another 3 or 4 years. Donato still has 2 years of college to complete.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not sure what the Koko reference is supposed to establish. 18 points in 22 KHL games? Take a look at Spartak's team stats. Ryan Stoa is ahead of Koko in points. Go back and take a look at Stoa's career in North America. I mean Dan Sexton is a PPG guy in the K. Koko went to SP SKA last year to great fanfare and proceeded to get scratched for over half the games while his coach complained about his defensive effort. Claude had his issues but he was right about Koko at the time. I hope the kid gets it now and can come back to NA and be a productive player.

Where there's smoke there's fire. There's no doubting Koko was never given fair opportunity to succeed. Koko flourished playing for Cassidy. Thinking Koko could have had much much better opportunity playing for Cassidy. Yes I do believe Claude had his binkies and preferred vet grinders over younger skilled players. Any chance Koko ever be given the opportunity with Cassidy?

upload_2017-10-28_8-39-11.png

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Where there's smoke there's fire. There's no doubting Koko was never given fair opportunity to succeed. Koko flourished playing for Cassidy. Thinking Koko could have had much much better opportunity playing for Cassidy. Yes I do believe Claude had his binkies and preferred vet grinders over younger skilled players. Any chance Koko ever be given the opportunity with Cassidy?

View attachment 81563
people evolve and if Khokhlachev can play I'm sure they would be fine.

Sobotka went over for a few years and came back a more polished offensive and rounded player.

I bet Khokhlachev is back in the NHL within 2 years.

I would love to see him here

He's 24 this past September

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
people evolve and if Khokhlachev can play I'm sure they would be fine.

Sobotka went over for a few years and came back a more polished offensive and rounded player.

I bet Khokhlachev is back in the NHL within 2 years.

He's what 23 lol

DK do you think he would play well under Cassidy and how much longer do bruins retain his rights?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DK do you think he would play well under Cassidy and how much longer do bruins retain his rights?
He would play well they would be fine - Khokhlachev supposed to be easy going and great sense of humor. I am under opinion his problem was Julien not Cassidy - they had their moments but Cassidy in end liked him.

He was petrified to screw up under Julien - who the hell can play like that

He's on an average team in KHL and playing a lot

I want him back here after a season or two in KHL a bit more mature

I think indefinitely but I'll ask Dom he knows I'm sure

Also, nice call on Sergachev there Dom. I watched him and he looks like he's going to be really really good

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He would play well they would be fine - Khokhlachev supposed to be easy going and great sense of humor. I am under opinion his problem was Julien not Cassidy - they had their moments but Cassidy in end liked him.

He's on an average team in KHL and playing a lot

I want him back here after a season or two in KHL a bit more mature

I think indefinitely but I'll ask Dom he knows I'm sure

Also, nice call on Sergachev there Dom. I watched him and he looks like he's going to be really really good

I agree. The change in scenery, pro level hockey, and quality ice time will help him develop. I remember Dom having some good things to say about this pick. I believe he was born on the cusp for that draft year. He had really good numbers in Providence and when was brought up to Boston he played 4th line with grinders averaging under 6 mins per game. He looked nervous and timid. It was difficult to watch. Do the bruins still own his rights?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Was out raking leaves and listening to hockey show and they brought up the agent who said that Claude hates Russians was Alexander Khokhlachev agent

Wow wow wow

There you go

Reactions: Blowfish

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Saw 2 periods of Vaakanainen today, statline 0P -1 3SH 25:08TOI. Defensively he is good, makes good reads and has good gap control. Was on ice for the other empty netter today, but not really his fault. More strength would benefit him along the boards and in front of the net, but that's the case with almost any prospect. Skating looks really good, was able to get the puck out of his zone with his skating multiple times. Also got 3 shots on net, generating some decent chances as well. Don't know whether it's his coaches' instructions or himself, but it feels like he is holding back a bit offensively. He has good tools, so I'd like to see him use them more.

All in all, he seems to be in a good spot to develop. He plays a lot in all situations (EV, PP, PK) and doesn't look out of place at all. About Saipa, I guess it says something about the team when they haven't scored a PP goal in over a month (got waived off today). They score VERY little, so I'd say Vaakanainen's stats might not truly reflect his play.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Many here and in the media, almost word for word, said the exact same thing about Ryan Spooner.

I have spoken to a few agents and won't comment on their thoughts on the Russian issue, but simply say look at Julien's record with Russians the first time around in Montreal.

My opinion: Galchenyuk is only considered Russian because his father is and the only reason he has a Russian agent. Born in America and chose to play for America and is American under the IIHF. He's an unhappy player who was unhappy in Montreal long before Julien's arrival. I see it as a preemptive strike by the agent, on behalf of the player before asking for a trade or stirring the pot so that the team will be forced to trade him rather than deal with the distraction.

Reactions: BBB24 and Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Many here and in the media, almost word for word, said the exact same thing about Ryan Spooner.

I have spoken to a few agents and won't comment on their thoughts on the Russian issue, but simply say look at Julien's record with Russians the first time around in Montreal.

My opinion: Galchenyuk is only considered Russian because his father is and the only reason he has a Russian agent. Born in America and chose to play for America and is American under the IIHF. He's an unhappy player who was unhappy in Montreal long before Julien's arrival. I see it as a preemptive strike by the agent, on behalf of the player before asking for a trade or stirring the pot so that the team will be forced to trade him rather than deal with the distraction.
I never heard anything about Julien and Russians till this week

Even when I heard the commends about Khokhlachev and Julien I thought it was more about his binkies like Kelly in the way As well as Khokhlachev style of play not meshing with Julien

Some older folks would rather adopt a pet already house trained than deal with a puppy

This is how I view Claude. Clearly others here disagree but as open minded as I am this thought is ingrained.

He and Spooner represented threats to Kelly and Campbell and I don't ever believe Claude fancied them

Khokhlachev for right or wrong had those thoughts and that feeling

Many of us have had at least one superior that evoked that feeling

Sobotka had the same problem and he's not a Russian and Ryan Spooner as well and neither is he so I don't think Claude has an issue looking at in from where I observe

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I never heard anything about Julien and Russians till this week

Even when I heard the commends about Khokhlachev and Julien I thought it was more about his binkies like Kelly in the way As well as Khokhlachev style of play not meshing with Julien

Some older folks would rather adopt a pet already house trained than deal with a puppy

This is how I view Claude. Clearly others here disagree but as open minded as I am this thought is ingrained.

He and Spooner represented threats to Kelly and Campbell and I don't ever believe Claude fancied them

Khokhlachev for right or wrong had those thoughts and that feeling

Many of us have had at least one superior that evoked that feeling

Sobotka had the same problem and he's not a Russian and Ryan Spooner as well and neither is he

Right. That's why when discussing this Julien/Russian "thing" Khokhlachev's is the last name that should come up. And that's coming from someone who was a big Koko fan in Junior.

As for what Koko feels: I don't give a rats ***. Team before player is my motto and Koko twice bolted for the KHL instead of trying to prove people wrong here. I've thought in the past how things might be different for him had he not left the Spitfires for Papa Koko and the KHL (only to return at the Bruins request because it was doing him and the team no favors with him being overseas). I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Right. That's why when discussing this Julien/Russian "thing" Khokhlachev's is the last name that should come up. And that's coming from someone who was a big Koko fan in Junior.

As for what Koko feels: I don't give a rats ***. Team before player is my motto and Koko twice bolted for the KHL instead of trying to prove people wrong here. I've thought in the past how things might be different for him had he not left the Spitfires for Papa Koko and the KHL (only to return at the Bruins request because it was doing him and the team no favors with him being overseas). I guess we'll never know.
His goal was always to play in the NHL and only last month did he turn 24 so in a year or two at age 26 or so if he's doing well he could be an option

He does have the North American background and he played in the AHL and a cup of coffee in the NHL , has familiarityhus with many current Players- avid the game has shifted to his style

Adapting should be close to a breeze if he's got the skills

I thought his last year in the AHL he was very good and sometimes we find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time - Khokhlachev seems to fall under that

You can't play, work, succeed well without confidence

The new NESN chick asked Heinen yesterday what's the big difference and he said one word 'confidence'

Khokhlachev if and when he comes back will be older, and should be wiser and more confident

Youth is wasted on the young

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
I know he was born here, I thought he "grew up" in Russia then went back to the USA/CANADA with the spitfires.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Doesn't look like Galchenyuk is that bright. He shouldn't have signed a 3-year $14.7M contract with a team he laments playing for. If he wanted out, he shouldn't have signed a contract on July 6 and instead should have held out. Je devine c'est la vie.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
This is a great single page view if you want to compare the lean drafting years to the productive ones.

2006 was definitely the best Bruins draft in a generation. They got 3 first line wingers.

It is still very early but 2014 definitely does look like it could match or best that. We won't know just how good for another 3 or 4 years. Donato still has 2 years of college to complete.

Interesting 1970 draft. Both Leach and McLeish played key roles on Stanley Cup winners....for Philly! Believe Leach scored 60g one season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was out raking leaves and listening to hockey show and they brought up the agent who said that Claude hates Russians was Alexander Khokhlachev agent

Wow wow wow

There you go

I am not a Clode Guy, but I honestly don’t think he gives two ***** about a player’s nationality.

Koko could have been born in Clode’s hometown, and he still would not have liked him as a player. Clode likes a certain “type” of player, and Koko isn’t it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am not a Clode Guy, but I honestly don’t think he gives two ***** about a player’s nationality.

Koko could have been born in Clode’s hometown, and he still would not have liked him as a player. Clode likes a certain “type” of player, and Koko isn’t it.
Yah Claude would love an anvil if he played like Chris Kelly or Greg Campbell

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Harvard vs. Dartmouth on NESN right now. #3 ranked Harvard in their 1st game is taking it to #43 Dartmouth with shots at 13-3. Harvard is up 3-0 after 1.
Sherman with 1A and +2
Donato with 1G and +2 -- nice shorty
He still doesn't have separation speed but Donato is definitely faster as a Junior than he was as a Freshman. It's good he's improving there as it was his only real weakness.

Reactions: Wack Edwards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad