Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Saw 2 periods of Vaakanainen today, statline 0P -1 3SH 25:08TOI. Defensively he is good, makes good reads and has good gap control. Was on ice for the other empty netter today, but not really his fault. More strength would benefit him along the boards and in front of the net, but that's the case with almost any prospect. Skating looks really good, was able to get the puck out of his zone with his skating multiple times. Also got 3 shots on net, generating some decent chances as well. Don't know whether it's his coaches' instructions or himself, but it feels like he is holding back a bit offensively. He has good tools, so I'd like to see him use them more.

All in all, he seems to be in a good spot to develop. He plays a lot in all situations (EV, PP, PK) and doesn't look out of place at all. About Saipa, I guess it says something about the team when they haven't scored a PP goal in over a month (got waived off today). They score VERY little, so I'd say Vaakanainen's stats might not truly reflect his play.

Hey, thanks for the updates on Urho. I hadn’t seen anything in a while so it is much appreciated. Keep us in the loop if you don’t mind!!!

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Harvard vs. Dartmouth on NESN right now. #3 ranked Harvard in their 1st game is taking it to #43 Dartmouth with shots at 13-3. Harvard is up 3-0 after 1.
Sherman with 1A and +2
Donato with 1G and +2 -- nice shorty
He still doesn't have separation speed but Donato is definitely faster as a Junior than he was as a Freshman. It's good he's improving there as it was his only real weakness.

How has Donato looked at C?

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Saw 2 periods of Vaakanainen today, statline 0P -1 3SH 25:08TOI. Defensively he is good, makes good reads and has good gap control. Was on ice for the other empty netter today, but not really his fault. More strength would benefit him along the boards and in front of the net, but that's the case with almost any prospect. Skating looks really good, was able to get the puck out of his zone with his skating multiple times. Also got 3 shots on net, generating some decent chances as well. Don't know whether it's his coaches' instructions or himself, but it feels like he is holding back a bit offensively. He has good tools, so I'd like to see him use them more.

All in all, he seems to be in a good spot to develop. He plays a lot in all situations (EV, PP, PK) and doesn't look out of place at all. About Saipa, I guess it says something about the team when they haven't scored a PP goal in over a month (got waived off today). They score VERY little, so I'd say Vaakanainen's stats might not truly reflect his play.

thanks so much for this...love reading basically any details about prospects we dont get to see. It's hard when people just look at stat lines...especially for young d-men playing in higher up leagues....really hard to gauge much of anything on numbers alone.

So yea, really appreciate this and would love further progress reports or any details you get from watching him!

posters like this make this site so much fun to read and check out.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
How has Donato looked at C?

I'm not sure what kind of system they run at Harvard but he wasn't deep much in his own end as C. His shorty he didn't take the draw but that might have been the way the play was drawn up because he was 8-5 on draws today. He seems to stay as a rover on the PK. Dartmouth didn't cover him on the PK, they were chasing the puck and he always got it out when it came out of the scrum.
He played the point on the PP and just coasted down the right wall, collected the pass and scored easily.

What I saw was not the Bruins center responsibility on defense but Harvard is running their own system. I didn't really see him below the dots in his own end but once or twice. However that could have a lot to do with the inferior opponent. Dartmouth shots on goal by period were 3, 11, and 5.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
This current Herald article addresses the surplus of prospects in the Bruins system.

But while youth brings hope to a fan base, it rarely leads to the end result the optimists among us envision. And just as interesting as watching Charlie McAvoy or Anders Bjork grow will be seeing what the Bruins choose to do with all their surplus young talent.

How that’s handled could determine whether they can break out of their current station, which more than one league executive described last week as no-man’s land. The Bruins are neither great nor terrible, just another team in a large mid-level pack. They could wait to see just how much the rookies on their roster improve and contribute to victories, or they could try and jump-start the process by making a big move to bring in an established difference-maker.

To do that, general manager Don Sweeney may have to put together a large package of prospects, not to mention a less-than-desirable veteran salary to make it work from a cap standpoint. One exec who spoke with the Herald last week said that what makes the B’s crop of prospects impressive is the quantity, not necessarily the quality of the individual players.

Full article: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/brui ... e_currency

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This current Herald article addresses the surplus of prospects in the Bruins system...

One exec who spoke with the Herald last week said that what makes the B’s crop of prospects impressive is the quantity, not necessarily the quality of the individual players.

The other thing to consider in all this is the cap implications of having so many young players popping at the same time.

McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen (and Cehlarik/JFK/McIntyre who I expect will make their presences felt over the next 18 months) will all have their contracts expire at the end of next season (summer 2019).

Bjork, DeBrusk, (and Lauzon/Zboril) have contracts that expire in 2020, right when Krug is set to become a UFA.

The only significant contract that comes off the books in that span is Chara and they are planning to re-sign him.

Like the article suggests, one way to deal with that is to package 3 guys who expect to get $3-4m for one guy making $7-8. But honestly, I can't see Sweeney making that move. He loves his prospects and hasn't been very good at acquiring NHL talent... I think what's more likely is he starts to sell off or buy out vets on bigger contracts to get the flexibility to afford to keep everyone.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The other thing to consider in all this is the cap implications of having so many young players popping at the same time.

McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen (and Cehlarik/JFK/McIntyre who I expect will make their presences felt over the next 18 months) will all have their contracts expire at the end of next season (summer 2019).

Bjork, DeBrusk, (and Lauzon/Zboril) have contracts that expire in 2020, right when Krug is set to become a UFA.

The only significant contract that comes off the books in that span is Chara and they are planning to re-sign him.

Like the article suggests, one way to deal with that is to package 3 guys who expect to get $3-4m for one guy making $7-8. But honestly, I can't see Sweeney making that move. He loves his prospects and hasn't been very good at acquiring NHL talent... I think what's more likely is he starts to sell off or buy out vets on bigger contracts to get the flexibility to afford to keep everyone.

I don't think the cap crunch will be that bad at all.

Evan Gold is the Bruins cap guru (who also helps in contract negotiations and roster decisions). Brilliant guy that Sweeney put in charge of the legal affairs for hockey ops.

To me, he showed his brilliance moving players around with 4 days off so that the team could bank cap space for trade deadline - something they would not have been able to do had he not acted on that because they were already into LTIR space.

There are 10 teams using LTIR right now, and until then, only the Wild and the Bruins had used that option.

Gold understands how the cap works, and how to use the CBA to it's fullest. I think they have a true capologist at the helm.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think the cap crunch will be that bad at all.

Evan Gold is the Bruins cap guru (who also helps in contract negotiations and roster decisions). Brilliant guy that Sweeney put in charge of the legal affairs for hockey ops.

To me, he showed his brilliance moving players around with 4 days off so that the team could bank cap space for trade deadline - something they would not have been able to do had he not acted on that because they were already into LTIR space.

There are 10 teams using LTIR right now, and until then, only the Wild and the Bruins had used that option.

Gold understands how the cap works, and how to use the CBA to it's fullest. I think they have a true capologist at the helm.

That's great to hear. They have been really active at calling up/sending down players, and using emergency loans and LTIR as well. It will be interesting to see how they manage the problem.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's great to hear. They have been really active at calling up/sending down players, and using emergency loans and LTIR as well. It will be interesting to see how they manage the problem.

Have to give Sweeney props. He's put some very good people in some great positions. It is really management by committee, yet he deserves the credit for putting the people in place. Now if he could only fix the pro scouting. He started to. Now let's finish it.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

I don't think you're going to see guys like Bjork, DeBrusk, Heinen, etc. break the bank. They simply aren't going to have the numbers to support their big asks. McAvoy and maybe Carlo yes.

Second, at some point they are going to have to consolidate assets. May not be money driven, but it's going to have to happen. Can't have 18 guys play 12 spots.

Third, they could move the Beleskey salary and potentially the Spooner salary. Probably going to have to move one or both of Miller/McQ.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Frederic with a goal and an assist this past weekend. He now has 5g/5a in 9 games to lead the team (tied with Junior F Will Johnson 3g/7a). Glad that TF does not seem to be missing a beat without Luke Kunin.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hockey News top 100 players 21 and under issue out

Where are the Bruins?

Chabot 14
Tage Thompson 36
Barzal 30
Dibrincat 40
Connor 58

No Frederic, DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Zboril, Donato (who I think will be better than pretty much 2/3 of the forwards after 20)

Carlo and JFK at 62 & 63?

Carlo after guys struggling in the AHL

Donny Hockey wtf

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This current Herald article addresses the surplus of prospects in the Bruins system.

But while youth brings hope to a fan base, it rarely leads to the end result the optimists among us envision. And just as interesting as watching Charlie McAvoy or Anders Bjork grow will be seeing what the Bruins choose to do with all their surplus young talent.

How that’s handled could determine whether they can break out of their current station, which more than one league executive described last week as no-man’s land. The Bruins are neither great nor terrible, just another team in a large mid-level pack. They could wait to see just how much the rookies on their roster improve and contribute to victories, or they could try and jump-start the process by making a big move to bring in an established difference-maker.

To do that, general manager Don Sweeney may have to put together a large package of prospects, not to mention a less-than-desirable veteran salary to make it work from a cap standpoint. One exec who spoke with the Herald last week said that what makes the B’s crop of prospects impressive is the quantity, not necessarily the quality of the individual players.

Except that McAvoy and Pastrnak look like foundational players

I think they have the quality and the quantity

I been watching this closely since they took Reggie Leach and Rick McLeish 3 & 4 back in the early 70's

DeBrusk looks to me like a top 9 forward who will get you 20+ goals and 50+ points.

Bjork is a well rounded player already because he was brought along in the USNDTP as a checker

I can see him being a 30 goal scorer at some point

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Except that McAvoy and Pastrnak look like foundational players

I think they have the quality and the quantity

I been watching this closely since they took Reggie Leach and Rick McLeish 3 & 4 back in the early 70's

DeBrusk looks to me like a top 9 forward who will get you 20+ goals and 50+ points.

Bjork is a well rounded player already because he was brought along in the USNDTP as a checker

I can see him being a 30 goal scorer at some point

I hope I am wrong, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of foundational piece up the middle. Could Frederic, Donato or JFK turn into a Krejci? Sure. But, I don't see a #1C in coming anytime soon. Which, is OK in the short term, unless Bergeron falls off a cliff, but, sure would be nice to fill that hole with a diamond in the rough type pick soon.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I hope I am wrong, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of foundational piece up the middle. Could Frederic, Donato or JFK turn into a Krejci? Sure. But, I don't see a #1C in coming anytime soon. Which, is OK in the short term, unless Bergeron falls off a cliff, but, sure would be nice to fill that hole with a diamond in the rough type pick soon.

I'd agree that they don't have a platinum level, can't miss, 1st line center prospect, BUT...

Bergeron wasn't considered a foundational piece when he was drafted. Neither was Chara. Both Chara and Marchand were 3rd round picks. Heck, I'd say 90% of the fans here had written Marchand off after he went 20 games without a point in 2010.

Point is, you never know how these guys are going to develop. Frederic is off to a phenomenal offensive start to his college career, and when he was drafted all anyone talked about was his mature defensive game. Let's see how he does at the WJC's and finishes out his sophomore season. Maybe he could be a #1 center in the mold of a Ryan Kesler or Ryan O'Reilly.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Pretty much what ive mentioned all along, with the exception of Mcavoy the bruins do not have elite prospects. They will have to get real draft savy and draft elite prospects eventhough they wont be drafting that high..

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'd agree that they don't have a platinum level, can't miss, 1st line center prospect, BUT...

Bergeron wasn't considered a foundational piece when he was drafted. Neither was Chara. Both Chara and Marchand were 3rd round picks. Heck, I'd say 90% of the fans here had written Marchand off after he went 20 games without a point in 2010.

Point is, you never know how these guys are going to develop. Frederic is off to a phenomenal offensive start to his college career, and when he was drafted all anyone talked about was his mature defensive game. Let's see how he does at the WJC's and finishes out his sophomore season. Maybe he could be a #1 center in the mold of a Ryan Kesler or Ryan O'Reilly.
Good post...we just never know and i agree Frederick went from possibly a bottom 6 forward prospect and hes shown he can score and moved up to a top 6...will be exciting to follow Trent..

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much what ive mentioned all along, with the exception of Mcavoy the bruins do not have elite prospects. They will have to get real draft savy and draft elite prospects eventhough they wont be drafting that high..
Pastrnak is 21

He's not a prospect but the end game is what counts

Hockey News rated the top 100 players 21 and under

Pastrnak and McAvoy in top 7 after subtracting McDavid, Matthews, Laine, and Eichel

Really what do you want ? The end game as all that matters and Boston is sitting there with TWO of the best young players in the world and they never went under 93 points at any tint since 2007

My biggest complaint with HF Boards is how imbalanced and closed minded people here are

This place wants 100 point seasons and top 2 picks

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
To have 3 ELC guys inside top 6 in points (ok, there's Krejci so in top 7) is telling something, great drafting and good development program. And as we all know, those are not the obvious top 1,2 something picks; there's even more in the pipeline.

Kids are doing great.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

McAvoy - A+ elite top-3 talent (14th overall)
Pastrnak - A+ elite top 3 talent (25th overall)
Carlo - B+ first round talent (37th overall)
Heinen - B+ first round talent (116th overall)
Bjork - B+ first round talent (146th overall)

This is before we consider the other potential steals (Lindgren, Lauzon, Vladar, Donato etc.). Some will not work out but some will hit.

This is pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to being draft-savvy. We need to acknowledge that we hit a home-run with the bases loaded when we took McAvoy at 14th overall and Pasta at 25th overall. It's the equivalent of moving into the top-3 in the lottery. The savviest of the savvy!

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I moaned and whined about a lack of anything in the system for years, no way I`m getting caught up complaining about what`s happening now with this organization

Don’t you know, bruins don’t have 20 elite level prospects on top of their depth. So complain please.

(I mean. Prospects can’t develop and become elite players if they’re not drafted top 10. It’s fact!)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
It's interesting that Vladar is doing better in AHL than in ECHL, relatively small sample size but still, proportionally better AHL Defense in front of him?

Vladar is Slavic word for 'ruler', a person who rules or governs.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It's interesting that Vladar is doing better in AHL than in ECHL, relatively small sample size but still, proportionally better AHL Defense in front of him?

Vladar is Slavic word for 'ruler', a person who rules or governs.

I’d definitely think it’s because the quality of talent in front of him is better at the AHL level. Defensively and offensively. It feels the same when a guy comes from juniors to the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad