NFL: Browns fire executive VP Sashi Brown - John Dorsey named new GM

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
In addition it's given rise to an insufferable class of armchair sabermaticians and revisionist historians.

The pathetic need to defend every person or thing associated with analytics is almost as annoying as the weak "you're too dumb to understand" argument they fall back on when they have no argument.

This is a perfect case Sashi Brown was obviously a crap GM but instead of just saying that and using it to show that analytics need to be used properly and in combination with smart football moves the defender is in here making up excuses for him like analytic fanboys do anytime analytics are proven to not be the miracle drug they think it is.

There is a place for analytics in sports but not at the expense and complete ignoring of football/hockey scout knowledge and assessments.

Reactions: mmvvpp

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

This is a good point. Regardless of what you think of McCarron and the price, if Haslam and Hue wanted this done, it should have been done.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
With all that tremendous success DePodesta has had in his sports career it is hard to see how you could get rid of him.

The only concern would be if he will have space on his hands for any more rings if the Browns somehow do turn around the dogshit team he has helped build and win something.

DePodesta must be a hell of a charming guy to keep getting top level jobs (that he is mostly unqualified for) despite a history of doing nothing impressive at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
All due respect, you weren't in that office, so its unfair to say he was merely a number puncher or coffee boy.

It's a matter of public knowledge. I live in this city and exposed to the media that have been privy to Eagles coverage. You're factually incorrect. He started at the bottom of the front office structure, with zero football background. His way-in was with college degrees and internships and worked his way up until he had the power to allow himself to go on scouting trips. Period.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's a matter of public knowledge. I live in this city and exposed to the media that have been privy to Eagles coverage. You're factually incorrect. He started at the bottom of the front office structure, with zero football background. His way-in was with college degrees and internships and worked his way up until he had the power to allow himself to go on scouting trips. Period.

I'm not denying that - its clear he had no football background. But he did work his way up and obviously gained some football knowledge on the way... that's how some execs who aren't former players/NFL lifers do it. Not everybody can come in because their dad was an NFL player or they used to play the game.

Anyways, Dorsey is a great hire. Its unfortunate Reid pushed him out of KC but as a Ron Wolf disciple, I have faith he can actually turn around Cleveland. I think McCloughan would have been better but unlike their hires in recent years, Dorsey is far from questionable.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are you saying that Eagles fans that I know and you don't didn't hate Roseman?

Most did, but that was because they didn't trust him, especially after the dream team year. But after he landed Wentz, he's been largely forgiven.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If that's all you got out of that article, then you're just being stubborn.
They need a service to tell them that a high percentage of sacks out of hurries is a red flag? I thought that was simple math.

There's also the excuse made there where the unnamed coach allegedly threw out the data. Confirming the obvious is brilliance?

The Jags have been touting their analytics department for years (run by the owner's son, another red flag) and have been compiling single digit win seasons in the AFC South until getting Coughlin back on board and they still might need to swap out Bortles.

Here's where I think Brown screwed up and I'm sure any Rand Corporation study will back me up:
  • You are going to have a hard time winning in the NFL without a good QB
  • You will have an even harder time winning without at least a servicable QB
  • You have better odds finding a good player higher in the draft
  • QB is the hardest position to fill
  • If you get a good QB they tend to stay a while and let you focus on improving further areas
  • There is a reason teams will pay out the nose for a QB
  • Since QBs can take a while to develop you are better off taking one sooner than later
It's clear Sachi and Depo thought they would get away with Kizer, there's no way you spend a 2nd on a QB without thinking he is not a starting prospect. They got cute thinking they could rack up picks plug anyone in there and win. Instead they got burnt.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Most did, but that was because they didn't trust him, especially after the dream team year. But after he landed Wentz, he's been largely forgiven.

I think people like him now that the team is successful (like any fanbase would) but I heard a lot of comments about wishing he would stick with the business side and let the football guys handle the roster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think people like him now that the team is successful (like any fanbase would) but I heard a lot of comments about wishing he would stick with the business side and let the football guys handle the roster.

That definitely existed, but for the reasons I mentioned, no one trusted him and his first season holding the keys was a disaster.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
They need a service to tell them that a high percentage of sacks out of hurries is a red flag? I thought that was simple math.

There's also the excuse made there where the unnamed coach allegedly threw out the data. Confirming the obvious is brilliance?

The Jags have been touting their analytics department for years (run by the owner's son, another red flag) and have been compiling single digit win seasons in the AFC South until getting Coughlin back on board and they still might need to swap out Bortles.

Here's where I think Brown screwed up and I'm sure any Rand Corporation study will back me up:
  • You are going to have a hard time winning in the NFL without a good QB
  • You will have an even harder time winning without at least a servicable QB
  • You have better odds finding a good player higher in the draft
  • QB is the hardest position to fill
  • If you get a good QB they tend to stay a while and let you focus on improving further areas
  • There is a reason teams will pay out the nose for a QB
  • Since QBs can take a while to develop you are better off taking one sooner than later
It's clear Sachi and Depo thought they would get away with Kizer, there's no way you spend a 2nd on a QB without thinking he is not a starting prospect. They got cute thinking they could rack up picks plug anyone in there and win. Instead they got burnt.

They missed on a QB. Maybe. Shit happens.

I'm bored of this.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They missed on a QB. Maybe. **** happens.

I'm bored of this.

They missed on a hell of a lot more than a QB.

As bad a coach as Hue is this team is 0-fer on merit. They may have some raw skill on defense but they are far from a good team and it is real hard to point to a lot of positives on the offense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Yep same dysfunction

I expect Dorsey is going to start having regrets in offseason when Hue and DePodesta start going to owner to counter or prevent moves he wants to make

So how long until Dorsey gets Brown'd? Hue is 1-27 as HC and yet he not only will survive but will wield significant power within organization on roster

I don't get it

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't recall an owner going to bat for coach he is going to fire this much

It seems sincere and that he actually blames all the problems on Brown and not Hue or DePodesta

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
@Hasbro one of the Browns top beat writers was on the radio yesterday and she specifically said that De Podesta had pretty much no say in any trades/pick/signings/hires etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad