NFL: Browns fire executive VP Sashi Brown - John Dorsey named new GM

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lol probably because the only one that wants a trash QB like McCarron is Hue and the F.O. nuked it. Good call by them.

Then why not just say no to the deal when talking to the Bengals?

And again who hired that coach and kept him around?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Lol probably because the only one that wants a trash QB like McCarron is Hue and the F.O. nuked it. Good call by them.
Why waste time in bad faith negotiations then? Furthermore if the deal was a canard, why scuttle it in a way that makes them look inept rather than something more justifiable like "They were asking too much"?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
These days the owner. Very few GM's get that kind of latitude anymore and Brown wouldn't be one of them.

Ok so this is now a situation where all the good moves were because of the genius of the GM but the bad moves were forced by the owner?

Do we have any proof of that?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ok so this is now a situation where all the good moves were because of the genius of the GM but the bad moves were forced by the owner?

Do we have any proof of that?

Who said that? Don't make stuff up. All I said was that GM's don't often get to pick the coach anymore or have the freedom to fire them when they want to.

Ultimately you don't get to no victories because of the GM, that's on the coach. The roster isn't bad enough to win no games, there's been many worse rosters than this. I'd fire them both though.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Who said that? Don't make stuff up. All I said was that GM's don't often get to pick the coach anymore or have the freedom to fire them when they want to.

Ultimately you don't get to no victories because of the GM, that's on the coach. The roster isn't bad enough to win no games, there's been many worse rosters than this. I'd fire them both though.

Maybe I am naive but I have a bard time thinking that a GM would say "no way I don't want that guy" but have the owner say you have to hire him and then hire him. At least no good GM would do that.

I think the 0 wins is a combination of players and coach. As mentioned earlier going into the season with the skill group and QB they have is on Brown and that group is worthy of going 0-16.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Judging by the group hug between Haslam, Hue and A.J. its pretty to easy to determine who engineered that.

Well then why didn't Brown just say no, or as mentioned the price was too high or Haslem and Hue wanted him but we didn't so we didn't submit the paperwork.

Basically do anything other than make yourself look incompetent at the one area you are qualified to do and that is file paperwork.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Most likely FO was doing trade talk because Hue would just go to ownership and force move anyway and they would have been ousted earlier

By waiting until last moments and then sinking the deal like they did it allowed FO to both attempt to look like they tried and ultimately not be forced into move

Not a good look but they didn't end up trading for shitty QB at expensive rate like Hue wanted

This has been power struggle and somehow ownership sided with a coach who is 1-27

Browns deserve to be in dumps

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Most likely FO was doing trade talk because Hue would just go to ownership and force move anyway and they would have been ousted earlier

By waiting until last moments and then sinking the deal like they did it allowed FO to both attempt to look like they tried and ultimately not be forced into move

Not a good look but they didn't end up trading for ****ty QB at expensive rate like Hue wanted

This has been power struggle and somehow ownership sided with a coach who is 1-27

Browns deserve to be in dumps

Was it an expensive rate? I thought it was a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Is Mccarron any worse than the dogshit QB's Brown has brought in before?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Stupid. Fire them both or just keep them. stupid to have hue with his nfl worst record around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Huh? Howie worked in the Eagles front office/with Reid for 10 years before he became GM.

You sound like a man who went and looked up his Wikipedia and decided you disagreed. If you count punching calculators and running to Wawa as 'worked in the front office with Reid' then, yes, he was there for 10 years.

He was hired as an intern out of college with no football background and worked up the front office chain, until he got control over the scouting department - having never done any scouting - and then decided to make himself a scout. The door to control over personnel came to him when Andy's kids started getting in trouble and Jeff Lurie had to start delegating power. Apart from the year Chip demanded full control or he was going to quit, the only thing Howie didn't have until last year was control over the final 53.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so they fire the guy who was actually an asset to the organization and had done a hall of a job in the draft

browns gonna brown

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't mean to say he cut top end talent, but he did cut league average talent or quality veteran depth. He did so to force Hue to play his picks, and the end result has been so many rookies playing every down that this team can't overcome its continuous run of rookie mistakes.

Sure, they'll draft a QB now, but all they've done is piss off their fans. They made fans sit through two of the worst seasons in all of NFL history. Then they'll wait to get a guy in year three, which of course means year three has no playoff hopes because next season is going to be the rookie QB mistake-filled season. The best Browns fans can hope for is seeing winning in year four. That's horse****. It doesn't take four seasons to turn a team around in the NFL.

Coleman's hand injuries have robbed him from the ability to contribute two seasons in a row, but he's also not looked all that dynamic when he is out there. He was sold to us as the next Steve Smith, and he's looking more like just a dude. Njoku has endless amounts of upside, but he's very very raw. Playing him more would probably only hurt the Browns because he makes a lot of mistakes from his lack of experience. He barely played in college, so the Browns took a big gamble entering the season with him as their #1 TE. They would have been well served having a veteran TE on the roster.

I also strongly agree the front office and coaching turnover is poisonous. Every time they do it, they end up dumping several starters because those guys don't fit the new system.

I do think a rebuild can take time. Carolina, Tennessee, Jacksonville, and LA all took at least three seasons to turn their franchises around and weren't starting from nearly as tough of a position as Cleveland IMO. Three of them have done it on the backs of franchise QBs, but Jacksonville and other teams like Minnesota have proven that you can build around journeymen. And even if they didn't want to bring in a veteran like Case Keenum himself, they're in a great position to draft someone like Lamar Jackson, as well as a RB like Saquan Barkley or a top WR. Sure, they'll be rookies, but even this year we've seen they can light it up, from DeShaun Watson to Alvin Kamara. I think he had them on the right track.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A new GM means the coach will be gone.

Not true at all

Browns ownership has said Hue will be back which means your going to get bottom of barrel GM hire or simply a Jackson puppet as no one wants to inherit a HC they didn't hire

Jackson won power struggle and I suspect we will see one of his cronies take over job

Reactions: Voight

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Not true at all

Browns ownership has said Hue will be back which means your going to get bottom of barrel GM hire or simply a Jackson puppet as no one wants to inherit a HC they didn't hire

Jackson won power struggle and I suspect we will see one of his cronies take over job
I've herd NFLplayers say that Cleveland is loaded with talent.Sounds like they got rid of the wrong guy.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I do think a rebuild can take time. Carolina, Tennessee, Jacksonville, and LA all took at least three seasons to turn their franchises around and weren't starting from nearly as tough of a position as Cleveland IMO. Three of them have done it on the backs of franchise QBs, but Jacksonville and other teams like Minnesota have proven that you can build around journeymen. And even if they didn't want to bring in a veteran like Case Keenum himself, they're in a great position to draft someone like Lamar Jackson, as well as a RB like Saquan Barkley or a top WR. Sure, they'll be rookies, but even this year we've seen they can light it up, from DeShaun Watson to Alvin Kamara. I think he had them on the right track.
Funny you should mention DeShaun.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I've herd NFLplayers say that Cleveland is loaded with talent.Sounds like they got rid of the wrong guy.

They have no talent on offense and a bunch of maybes on defense.

They got rid of the right guy, just didn't get rid of the other right as well.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Funny you should mention DeShaun.

I guess? They could have taken Watson, or they could have Peppers and a probable top 10 pick in 2018 in addition to their choice of QB or whoever else at #1 overall. Watson had a few very good games, mostly against terrible defenses, but Robert Griffin was good once too.

Again, Watson isn't the last good QB that will ever be drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad