NFL: Browns fire executive VP Sashi Brown - John Dorsey named new GM

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I guess? They could have taken Watson, or they could have Peppers and a probable top 10 pick in 2018 in addition to their choice of QB or whoever else at #1 overall. Watson had a few very good games, mostly against terrible defenses, but Robert Griffin was good once too.

Again, Watson isn't the last good QB that will ever be drafted.
Looked better than Kizer.

What the hell was Brown waiting for? Wentz or Watson are looking pretty good about now.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's a solid hire.

I am surprised they were able to get someone like Dorsey especially if he is forced to keep Hue around.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

What the hell was Brown waiting for? Wentz or Watson are looking pretty good about now.

Maybe they incorrectly thought otherwise. Maybe they didn't think they'd be worth the picks they'd get in return. It's easy to have hindsight. For the third time, neither player is the last good quarterback that will ever be drafted. The more tickets you have, the more chances you're gonna have to not miss.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

You actually believe the nonsense that Hue wanted those QB's and Brown wouldn't take them?

Hue had plenty of say on QB issue despite what some of his friends in media have been putting out during this power struggle

The fact he wanted AJ McCarron to be #1 in Cleveland says all that needs to be said about Hue and his QB guru status

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That's a solid hire.

I am surprised they were able to get someone like Dorsey especially if he is forced to keep Hue around.
Don’t put too much into the Hue thing. He could be fired as early as week three next season if his team shows no growth. I think keeping Hue is entirely about wanting to maintain some organizational stability and not look like they are a complete mess. The thing to keep an eye on is if they force Hue to add an offensive coordinator.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You actually believe the nonsense that Hue wanted those QB's and Brown wouldn't take them?
What Hue did or didn't want is immaterial. I think Brown and DePodesta got too full of themselves and because of some superficial analysis came to the conclusion that they could find a QB just as easy in the 2nd round.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Maybe they incorrectly thought otherwise. Maybe they didn't think they'd be worth the picks they'd get in return. It's easy to have hindsight. For the third time, neither player is the last good quarterback that will ever be drafted. The more tickets you have, the more chances you're gonna have to not miss.
Is Brown Bert2Nazzy? He can get a QB like that. A QB that's hot.

They didn't get a QB and had a couple of great chances. The Titans got it right drafted their QB first and then traded down the next year. Didn't create a three year master plan to finally get one.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Is Brown Bert2Nazzy? He can get a QB like that. A QB that's hot.

They didn't get a QB and had a couple of great chances. The Titans got it right drafted their QB first and then traded down the next year. Didn't create a three year master plan to finally get one.

2016: Man, how could the Browns possibly pass on Wentz?!
2017: Man, how could the Browns possibly pass on Watson?!
2018: ...

I'm sure you will insert some sort of sarcastic remark without refuting anything I've said. Again.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I guess? They could have taken Watson, or they could have Peppers and a probable top 10 pick in 2018 in addition to their choice of QB or whoever else at #1 overall. Watson had a few very good games, mostly against terrible defenses, but Robert Griffin was good once too.

Again, Watson isn't the last good QB that will ever be drafted.

Peppers and a possible top ten pick (thanks to injuries) seems like a bad deal for Watson.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They sure didn't waste any time hiring someone and it seems like they made a good choice. However, they should've let Dorsey make the decision on Hue.

Feb 24, 2017
How about being so negligent they didn't get the paperwork in on time for the McCarron trade? A trade that looked like a naked attempt to cover their ass for not getting a QB anyway?

Not like being a player on the worst team of the decade is much of a success anyway. How many of these guys are actual contributors and how many are just placeholders?

I know being a stat whacker means never having to say you're sorry.
Are you inferring that this guy jerks it while looking over a stat sheet?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Are you inferring that this guy jerks it while looking over a stat sheet?
An apt metaphor for Brown's reign as GM.

I'm also sure his next job as misunderstood genius to the analytics community begins today. DePo will scamper back to baseball with his reputation intact.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
2016: Man, how could the Browns possibly pass on Wentz?!
2017: Man, how could the Browns possibly pass on Watson?!
2018: ...

I'm sure you will insert some sort of sarcastic remark without refuting anything I've said. Again.
And two "great" drafts got the all of one win.

Maybe they should have run the three year plan past Halsam first.

Feb 24, 2017
An apt metaphor for Brown's reign as GM.

I'm also sure his next job as misunderstood genius to the analytics community begins today. DePo will scamper back to baseball with his reputation intact.
I see “stat whacker” littered around this website. I’m genuinely wondering if that’s what you’re all inferring.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I see “stat whacker” littered around this website. I’m genuinely wondering if that’s what you’re all inferring.
Not literally... until the formality of a Funky Spider-Man victim found with a copy of Moneyball makes the news.

It's also inspired by the term Bible Thumper.

That said it's amazing what a trigger analytics is in sports. Check out Deadspin for instance. Or this thread where the ineptitude displayed in not filing the paperwork on the McCaron trade is somehow a brilliant feint, 3-D chess. Or instances of anyone who seemingly eschews their use like Patrick Roy or the KC Royals turn into a thought criminal.

Look at the 180 some fans took on the Leafs when they hired an analytics guy and crediting their turn around to him... as opposed to having the number #1 pick when Matthews was available.

It's like a cult sometimes.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You sound like a man who went and looked up his Wikipedia and decided you disagreed. If you count punching calculators and running to Wawa as 'worked in the front office with Reid' then, yes, he was there for 10 years.

He was hired as an intern out of college with no football background and worked up the front office chain, until he got control over the scouting department - having never done any scouting - and then decided to make himself a scout. The door to control over personnel came to him when Andy's kids started getting in trouble and Jeff Lurie had to start delegating power. Apart from the year Chip demanded full control or he was going to quit, the only thing Howie didn't have until last year was control over the final 53.

All due respect, you weren't in that office, so its unfair to say he was merely a number puncher or coffee boy.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Again, you're incredibly naive if you think analytics guys of some sort aren't in every front office in sports.
And are of limited effectiveness, hence Exhibut A. It's like the Baltimore PD and Robert McNammara had a baby.

In addition it's given rise to an insufferable class of armchair sabermaticians and revisionist historians.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
And are of limited effectiveness, hence Exhibut A. It's like the Baltimore PD and Robert McNammara had a baby.

In addition it's given rise to an insufferable class of armchair sabermaticians and revisionist historians.

Arrogant, condescending, and dumb. You're really the worst kind of combination among people who rail against things they don't understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad