NFL: Browns fire executive VP Sashi Brown - John Dorsey named new GM

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What a shock a guy with zero football background and zero history of evaluating talent was a a terrible GM. Who could have seem this coming.

Reactions: Voight

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
"If not for ownership, this would be the most coveted GM job in recent memory"

lol

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Howie Roseman is doing ok

This year.

I know a lot of Eagles fans that have hated him for the teams he built and decisions he made over the years But it does seem like this year may work out for him better than previous years.

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
To be honest....if the Browns add a couple of key pieces (including QB), this team could actually be pretty good in the future. Look at the Jaguars - they were mediocre for years, but now they have a young/talented defense and an emerging offense. Teams will be good & bad in cycles - I don't believe the Cleveland Browns will always be a sub-500 team.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah, because he's the problem, not Hue.

EDIT:

1363126452_taco-girl-meme-generator-why-not-both-6ec00b.jpg

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If an exec loads the team with young talent but the coach fails to get results, that's not something you blame on the guy constructing the team. Especially after two years when the team has been such utter shit for more than a decade. What kind of owner expects results that quickly? Progress, sure, but again, I blame Hue.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This year.

I know a lot of Eagles fans that have hated him for the teams he built and decisions he made over the years But it does seem like this year may work out for him better than previous years.
They didn’t, and I didn’t either. But he’s had multiple 10-win seasons as GM even with Chip.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If an exec loads the team with young talent but the coach fails to get results, that's not something you blame on the guy constructing the team. Especially after two years when the team has been such utter **** for more than a decade. What kind of owner expects results that quickly? Progress, sure, but again, I blame Hue.

When that young talent includes zero quality QBs, zero quality WRs, zero quality TEs, zero quality RBs and a mediocre aging line I think there certainly are questions.

When you passed on Goff, Wentz and Watson when QB is most important position in the game that is a bad look.

When the coach that sucks is the guy you hired it kind of mitigates his effect on you being able to pass the buck.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If an exec loads the team with young talent but the coach fails to get results, that's not something you blame on the guy constructing the team. Especially after two years when the team has been such utter **** for more than a decade. What kind of owner expects results that quickly? Progress, sure, but again, I blame Hue.
Brown loaded the team with rookie talent, but he also stripped it of veteran talent and depth. He also failed to hand the coach even one QB or WR who was NFL starter quality.

I don't think Hue is a good coach, but Brown's plan with the roster design has been a failure. I don't think any coach gets much out of a roster mostly full of first and second year players with no quality at the primary offensive positions.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Agreed, but wasn't Hue the one who wanted Wenzt/Watson?
Be careful with this stuff. These stories started appearing recently, and they seem to be Hue's people working hard to help cover his rear in the battle he knew was coming.

So far, Hue won, but he's probably on a one-season leash. If he doesn't get results quickly, the new GM will find a new coach.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
To be honest....if the Browns add a couple of key pieces (including QB), this team could actually be pretty good in the future. Look at the Jaguars - they were mediocre for years, but now they have a young/talented defense and an emerging offense. Teams will be good & bad in cycles - I don't believe the Cleveland Browns will always be a sub-500 team.

It's more than a cycle with the Browns.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Be careful with this stuff. These stories started appearing recently, and they seem to be Hue's people working hard to help cover his rear in the battle he knew was coming.

So far, Hue won, but he's probably on a one-season leash. If he doesn't get results quickly, the new GM will find a new coach.

Bingo. Hue has lost this team. Zero passion.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Brown loaded the team with rookie talent, but he also stripped it of veteran talent and depth. He also failed to hand the coach even one QB or WR who was NFL starter quality.

I don't think Hue is a good coach, but Brown's plan with the roster design has been a failure. I don't think any coach gets much out of a roster mostly full of first and second year players with no quality at the primary offensive positions.

That's fair (though I'm struggling off the top of my head to think of too many big name players he cut that went on to have success elsewhere), but that veteran talent hasn't exactly worked out in the past either, and he did bring in guys like Jason McCourty who've individually done pretty well.

He did fail on getting a QB, but he's still set the team up with tons of picks to try again in 2018. It's not like Watson or Wentz are the last good QBs that are going to be available. I also think Coleman is a solid player, if a bit limited in the types of routes he can run. Hue also suffers from not putting some of these talented players on the field enough, like David Njoku.

The Browns have had something like 6 different GMs since 2005. It's tough to get results when you don't have consistency with each guy wanting to bring in their own players that they see as a solution. It's tough to preach patience when you're winless and consistently one of the worst teams in the league, but I think that was the prudent move here. There's obviously a disconnect between Hue and Sashi, and one of them had to go in 2018, and there's certainly an argument to be made that you want to start with the GM since he can bring in his own coach if that's what he desires, I just disagree that that was the right move in this situation.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think they both should go.

Neither has shown that they are competent at their job. Usually I would agree that you need stability but when you clearly have bad peoples in place best to move on and get the right guys in there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The inability or refusal to draft a QB is enough of a reason for this to happen. He gets credit for bringing in some good players and they'll once again have a bunch of high picks but you just can't overlook how they handled the QB position.

I can't believe they're keeping Hue Jackson around though. He's terrible.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That's fair (though I'm struggling off the top of my head to think of too many big name players he cut that went on to have success elsewhere), but that veteran talent hasn't exactly worked out in the past either, and he did bring in guys like Jason McCourty who've individually done pretty well.

He did fail on getting a QB, but he's still set the team up with tons of picks to try again in 2018. It's not like Watson or Wentz are the last good QBs that are going to be available. I also think Coleman is a solid player, if a bit limited in the types of routes he can run. Hue also suffers from not putting some of these talented players on the field enough, like David Njoku.

The Browns have had something like 6 different GMs since 2005. It's tough to get results when you don't have consistency with each guy wanting to bring in their own players that they see as a solution. It's tough to preach patience when you're winless and consistently one of the worst teams in the league, but I think that was the prudent move here. There's obviously a disconnect between Hue and Sashi, and one of them had to go in 2018, and there's certainly an argument to be made that you want to start with the GM since he can bring in his own coach if that's what he desires, I just disagree that that was the right move in this situation.
I don't mean to say he cut top end talent, but he did cut league average talent or quality veteran depth. He did so to force Hue to play his picks, and the end result has been so many rookies playing every down that this team can't overcome its continuous run of rookie mistakes.

Sure, they'll draft a QB now, but all they've done is piss off their fans. They made fans sit through two of the worst seasons in all of NFL history. Then they'll wait to get a guy in year three, which of course means year three has no playoff hopes because next season is going to be the rookie QB mistake-filled season. The best Browns fans can hope for is seeing winning in year four. That's horseshit. It doesn't take four seasons to turn a team around in the NFL.

Coleman's hand injuries have robbed him from the ability to contribute two seasons in a row, but he's also not looked all that dynamic when he is out there. He was sold to us as the next Steve Smith, and he's looking more like just a dude. Njoku has endless amounts of upside, but he's very very raw. Playing him more would probably only hurt the Browns because he makes a lot of mistakes from his lack of experience. He barely played in college, so the Browns took a big gamble entering the season with him as their #1 TE. They would have been well served having a veteran TE on the roster.

I also strongly agree the front office and coaching turnover is poisonous. Every time they do it, they end up dumping several starters because those guys don't fit the new system.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
How about being so negligent they didn't get the paperwork in on time for the McCarron trade? A trade that looked like a naked attempt to cover their ass for not getting a QB anyway?

Not like being a player on the worst team of the decade is much of a success anyway. How many of these guys are actual contributors and how many are just placeholders?

I know being a stat whacker means never having to say you're sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad