Value of: Brodin+Coyle to your team

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Coyle might end up being one of those examples of a guy who really just needs a change. Something is not working for him here and whoever gets him might unlock an allstar. But for whatever reason, its not happening within the Wild system. And yes, paired with a guy like Johnny he could be real good.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'm a little stumped as to what we could ask Calgary for. Not that Calgary doesn't have anything of value, it just seems like we have a lot of what (I assume) would be on offer. The closest I could come was something like Coyle for Brodie with a subsequent Brodin-for-forward trade, but I dunno if that helps us or interests Calgary.
I know. Might not be any good fits. I could see:

Brodin + Coyle for Brodie + Fox

If Fox does not want to sign here and would rather be traded right away. Most Flames fans consider him to be our top prospect.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know. Might not be any good fits. I could see:

Brodin + Coyle for Brodie + Fox

If Fox does not want to sign here and would rather be traded right away. Most Flames fans consider him to be our top prospect.
Based on past trade rumors I think the Wild are mostly looking for present/future upgrades at forward, so that one's probably a no-go.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Coyle might end up being one of those examples of a guy who really just needs a change. Something is not working for him here and whoever gets him might unlock an allstar. But for whatever reason, its not happening within the Wild system. And yes, paired with a guy like Johnny he could be real good.
Coyle put up 56 points last season. He is 6'3" and 220 pounds. Right shot. Can play center or right wing. He makes only $3.2 mil for 2 more season. I don't necessarily disagree that he might do better elsewhere, but how is that "not working"?

He had a significant leg injury early this season and hasn't found his footing yet. It happens.

Reactions: 57special

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Based on past trade rumors I think the Wild are mostly looking for present/future upgrades at forward, so that one's probably a no-go.
Yeah, you're right. I think the Wild if anything need to upgrade the scoring. Same boat as Flames.

Maybe a Bennett Coyle swap in some sorts... Change of scenery for both. Flames may have to add a bit.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
For a guy we were hoping would be a corner stone and allstar, he’s had one nice season in six years. His game has become famous for disappearing for long stretches. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For a guy we were hoping would be a corner stone and allstar, he’s had one nice season in six years. His game has become famous for disappearing for long stretches. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
He does and it frustrates me as much as anyone, but I think he's also the one top-6 forward that hasn't played on a line with Granlund since he switched to RW. I'd have to look into exact numbers, but I'd be surprised if all of Zucker, Nino and Parise didn't see appreciable jumps in production when playing with Granlund. Coyle did well with Staal and Nino, less well with Cullen/Eriksson-Ek/Foligno/Ennis/Rau/etc., and has (in my opinion) looked a little better in limited time with Greenway.

I don't want to excuse him completely based on linemates and usage, but it seems to be a factor here. I'm starting to worry that we're setting ourselves up for a rude awakening if we trade him to a team that'll play consistently him in their top-6.

Edit: After actually looking it doesn't look like Nino has played with RW Granlund at even strength at all either, so there goes that theory! I think the broader point stands, though.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, you're right. I think the Wild if anything need to upgrade the scoring. Same boat as Flames.

Maybe a Bennett Coyle swap in some sorts... Change of scenery for both. Flames may have to add a bit.
I'm not sold on Bennett at all. The offer would need to be something like Bennett+1st (top 10 protected) for Coyle. Coyle outproduced him with 16 less games played recovering from a broken leg and while playing 3rd line with not exactly offensively gifted players.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not sold on Bennett at all. The offer would need to be something like Bennett+1st (top 10 protected) for Coyle. Coyle outproduced him with 16 less games played recovering from a broken leg and while playing 3rd line with not exactly offensively gifted players.

Not saying Minnesota should do a Bennett for Coyle trade but Bennett is 4 years younger, still has room to improve and a much cheaper caphit. If I want to win now I take Coyle, if I am looking for a homer run swing I take my chances with bennitt.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Jets are just a big mean team... MIN shouldnt be blowing things up because they ran into one of the best teams in round 1.

adding a #2C and getting healthy are the 2 main needs.
Why are we paying Koivu 5.5M for two more years if he isn't a 2c? Wild need a 1c not a 2c

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
man, I would love to get both guys in NJ. Brodin is exactly what we need.

the Devils could offer some package potentially around Severson (we need LHD more than RHD), Zacha/McLeod, picks, or forward prospects

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not sure about if that's what we're missing. I'd like the Wild to become a lot faster, which speed doesn't seem to be a great strength with ROR (unless I'm wrong).
You're right. We've already traded Haula, and now we're trading perhaps our best all round skater in Brodin and Coyle, who is faster than ROR. I believe both players are also younger...Brodin, for sure.

Good luck re-signing Staal on the cheap when he sees that we acquired a 7+M C who isn't as good as him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're right. We've already traded Haula, and now we're trading perhaps our best all round skater in Brodin and Coyle, who is faster than ROR. I believe both players are also younger...Brodin, for sure.

Good luck re-signing Staal on the cheap when he sees that we acquired a 7+M C who isn't as good as him.

I'm not a RNH fan, but he is younger, faster, a C, cheaper, and can be had for less than this pkg.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Staal will be 35 when his deal expires... dont think many teams will be shelling out big $$ to him. ROR is only 27 .. pretty much his prime years.
Why focus so much on age? MIN core is built to win now.. neither Coyle nor Brodin are part of it esp on a healthy lineup.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
man, I would love to get both guys in NJ. Brodin is exactly what we need.

the Devils could offer some package potentially around Severson (we need LHD more than RHD), Zacha/McLeod, picks, or forward prospects

Problem is, Severson would play behind Dumba and Spurgeon. So him being the basis of a deal from your side doesn't make much sense.

I think a deal with Jersey would be mostly futures, which I'm not a big fan of right now. McLeod/Zacha and the 2018 1st are the only appealing assets to me, and I think we could get better elsewhere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Depends on what you mean by "on the cheap". Are you thinking that a 35 year old Staal is going to be asking for $8+ million and that somebody out there will give it him?

He has already said that he's made his money and is looking to stay in a situation that he likes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why are we paying Koivu 5.5M for two more years if he isn't a 2c? Wild need a 1c not a 2c
umm you are also paying Staal. Just because he makes less than Koivu doesnt make Koivu better... IMO adding another top 6 is MIN's biggest need. Eriksson Ek will eventually take over from Koivu making him a 5.5M 4th liner in 2 yrs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild fans would be complaining about ROR within two months of acquiring him. He is good, but not the high end C they seem to lust after (and which they already have, in Staal).
If MN trades Brodin+ Coyle/Nino/?, then I want it to be for a player like Keller, who has a chance to be a top 10-15C in the future, and will be a factor on the team for years to come(like Brodin will be).

I think that MN is taking Brodin and what he does for granted. Trading him now when there is no certainty that Suter's foot will ever be right again is near lunacy, IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wild fans would be complaining about ROR within two months of acquiring him. He is good, but not the high end C they seem to lust after (and which they already have, in Staal).
If MN trades Brodin+ Coyle/Nino/?, then I want it to be for a player like Keller, who has a chance to be a top 10-15C in the future, and will be a factor on the team for years to come(like Brodin will be).

I think that MN is taking Brodin and what he does for granted. Trading him now when there is no certainty that Suter's foot will ever be right again is near lunacy, IMO.

Best of luck with that.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
These two players potentially address two of Montreals bigger needs. Lhd and second line center. My give would be patches, Lehkonen and a 2019 second.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
These two players potentially address two of Montreals bigger needs. Lhd and second line center. My give would be patches, Lehkonen and a 2019 second.
One of the things that Minnesota would be trying to address/counterbalance by moving either of these guys is the overall age of our team. The main piece coming back can't be a 29 year old LW, especially one that's set to get paid big money at 30.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know WPG and MIN likely wouldn't trade due to inter-division, but how good/effective is Coyle at C?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: