Value of: Brodin+Coyle to your team

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Turning centers into wingers might be a reason why you didn't make the playoffs.

No, the reason we didn’t make the playoffs is our depth sucks, Talbot sucked until February, and four of our top six defencemen took a step back. Happens sometimes with young guys and players coming back from major injury - don’t expect Suter to be 100% at all next year. Sekera went from a #2 and arguably our best all around defenceman to a bottom pairing guy with poor mobility when he blew his ACL out.

RNH is wasted on the third line. He and McDavid meshed well and Drai can drive a line, he just needs better options than Lucic and Slepyshev to play with.

RNH and McDavid weren’t paired up until we were well out of it.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What's coyles upside. I always thought he could be a 55 to 65 pt center consistently . But he's getting to his prime and has been really up and down.
It's hard to say, especially as a center. I think he could absolutely be a 55-65 pt RW if he was played in the top-6, like when he was on a line with Nino and Staal last year. Powerplay time is also a factor, since I think a lot of the time he got this year was playing on the point because he's a righty? I might be wrong about that, but he was definitely used there and it was awkward.

As a center it's harder to say, but I really don't see anything that fundamentally limits him there. He skates well, he's pretty smart and understands the defensive side of the game, pretty good (and can be brilliant) behind the net.

It might be optimistic, but I think if he goes to a team that has a consistent, top-6 role for him and he doesn't take a shot to the ankle early in the season, you'd see a jump in his production. It's just hard to expect a team to pay for him with that assumption in mind.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No, the reason we didn’t make the playoffs is our depth sucks, Talbot sucked until February, and four of our top six defencemen took a step back. Happens sometimes with young guys and players coming back from major injury - don’t expect Suter to be 100% at all next year. Sekera went from a #2 and arguably our best all around defenceman to a bottom pairing guy with poor mobility when he blew his ACL out.

RNH is wasted on the third line. He and McDavid meshed well and Drai can drive a line, he just needs better options than Lucic and Slepyshev to play with.

RNH and McDavid weren’t paired up until we were well out of it.
The Sharks have been using centers as wingers for like a decade now and I wouldn't say it's hurt their playoff chances much.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It’s a summer rite of passage.

Edmonton honestly does not have the forwards to spare anymore though. I sincerely doubt RNH is going anywhere.

Know it's not going to happen, but what needs to be added to Coyle + Staal to get Drai? Then you guys can just go out and get Tavares :naughty:

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
It's hard to say, especially as a center. I think he could absolutely be a 55-65 pt RW if he was played in the top-6, like when he was on a line with Nino and Staal last year. Powerplay time is also a factor, since I think a lot of the time he got this year was playing on the point because he's a righty? I might be wrong about that, but he was definitely used there and it was awkward.

As a center it's harder to say, but I really don't see anything that fundamentally limits him there. He skates well, he's pretty smart and understands the defensive side of the game, pretty good (and can be brilliant) behind the net.

It might be optimistic, but I think if he goes to a team that has a consistent, top-6 role for him and he doesn't take a shot to the ankle early in the season, you'd see a jump in his production. It's just hard to expect a team to pay for him with that assumption in mind.
Fair points. I feel from whenever watching the wild this past season he was never in the top 6 and given an opportunity to be offensive. Seemed like the top 6 was fixed with koivu, granlund, staal, nino, zucker and parise. Had to play with Eriksson ek and I think greenway in the playoffs? Two rookies. I still think he can be a solid top 6 guy as my habs would automatically make him their no.1 center.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
3OA + pac
I don't even particularly want Pacioretty and I doubt this is the sort of deal the Habs are really looking for.... but it holds a strange appeal to me. I think what worries me is the temptation to actually re-sign Pacioretty, which would probably be a mistake for us. But then long term it's just Brodin and Coyle for Zadina? I don't know Zadina well enough to have a strong opinion on that one. Prodigious QMJHL scorers do worry me a little, but that might be unfounded.

Either way, top-3 picks don't really get moved.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Know it's not going to happen, but what needs to be added to Coyle + Staal to get Drai? Then you guys can just go out and get Tavares :naughty:

Haha well we’d need to get Tavares first before anything else was decided, which obviously isn’t happening.

I’m really not on board for moving Draisaitl at all, unless you can wind Suter’s clock back ten years.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Haha well we’d need to get Tavares first before anything else was decided, which obviously isn’t happening.

I’m really not on board for moving Draisaitl at all, unless you can wind Suter’s clock back ten years.

Yeah I figured. Drai should absolutely be one of your untouchables if you're looking at the long-term. My only thought was Staal can step in and play near the level of Drai and then you get Coyle who I still think could prove himself to be a Top 6 power forward if he gets a change of scenery. It's a very short-term Cup push for you guys, but it doesn't really work since your team is built for long-term success with Drai and McDavid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I figured. Drai should absolutely be one of your untouchables if you're looking at the long-term. My only thought was Staal can step in and play near the level of Drai and then you get Coyle who I still think could prove himself to be a Top 6 power forward if he gets a change of scenery. It's a very short-term Cup push for you guys, but it doesn't really work since your team is built for long-term success with Drai and McDavid.

Yeah...I really don’t think we’re a Charlie Coyle and a Draisaitl short term fill in away from a Cup.

We need more pieces than that. Like you said, Draisaitl is damn near untouchable.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Did we just accidentally trade Brodin and Coyle for 3OA and Pacioretty?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What's coyles upside. I always thought he could be a 55 to 65 pt center consistently . But he's getting to his prime and has been really up and down.
Upside is probably what he did last year, with 56 pts. If he is playing 1st line RW, and gets some PP TOI, then that's about his ceiling. If he plays middle six C with mediocre linemates, then 40-50 pts. is about right. His broken leg this year slowed him down, obviously. A 55-65 Pt. C is a low end #1C. I don't think he'll be that.

He has improved his FO% quite a bit, so it's now a strength rather than a weakness. Wes Walz said it's because they have cut down on cheating in the circle, and Charlie was never good at cheating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad