Value of: Brodin+Coyle to your team

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly, the Oilers seem like they might be in a place where moving 3 premium futures for immediate (and long term) help isn't a bad move. If two 1sts and one of Yamamoto/Puljujarvi get a long-term scoring winger that can keep up with McDavid and a RD to run the Oilers' powerplay, that seems like a strong play.

I understand Edmonton fans not wanting Chiarelli in the pilot's seat for that maneuver, though.

I think RNH and McDavid long term is going to happen - Nuge produced at a 35 goal, 75 point clip with 97 and Draisaitl can create and drive his own line. If we trade for a winger, I think it’s to help Leon. Ty Rattie proved that pretty much any RW can play with RNH + McDavid and be decent.

Agreed, moving futures for help now is probably what we need to do right now, but I don’t trust Chia to not f*** it up. The worst parts of our roster are his fault and he’s lost every trade he’s made bigger than Talbot’s. He’ll overpay, choose the wrong target on D, probably ignore the wings completely aside from a Cammalleri type washed up vet and he’ll sign some 49 year old playing in Mongolia to back up Talbot.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The value is fine, but playing Gardiner and Dumba together...no bueno. Gardiner has excellent offensive chops, but his decision making is suspect. Some of his pinches are pretty brutal. He's not a kid anymore...he is what he is. Kapanen would be a nice depth piece for the bottom six. Wild miss Haula's speed, and Kapanen would go a long way to help with that.

I agree that the Leafs would and should try to get Brodin rather than a Dumba(who's value will be shy high after his season). To beat the Bruin's they will need to get more solid on the back end.
Gardiner would play with Spurgeon. This trade would be a no-brainer if Gardiner had an extra year or two on his current deal.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Tavares ?
If NYI cant sign him this would be a decent return for his rights. MIN would have to be really confident in locking Tavares up.
Isles will not trade Tavares, unless he outright tells them be is leaving in July.
Isles would have interest in Brodin or Dumba if either became available.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So Brodie, Jankowski and Mangiapane isn't enough?
It's an interesting offer. Brodie replaces Brodin; a little more expensive and a little older, but he's got more offense. Probably not as good defensively, but if we went Suter-Dumba/Brodie-Spurgeon I don't think the GA would be a problem. Spending even marginally more on our top-4 is kind of a step back though; it's getting very expensive.

Switching Coyle for Jankowski is where it gets interesting, because I really don't know what to make of Jankowski. 17 goals is damn good for a 23 year old, but the 14.4 shooting percentage is a little hard to have faith in. That's just going by stat lines though, so I have no idea how he plays or what roles he was used in. As long as his skating doesn't suck he could be an interesting option.

Which makes Mangiapane the x-factor here, and I know nothing about him other than that his last name sounds like a type of pasta. And that makes me think of Pastrnak which just throws this whole evaluation. If he projects well this seems like a perfectly good offer, but I have a very muddy read on it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So Brodie, Jankowski and Mangiapane isn't enough?

I'm sure the value is fine. Just doesn't move the needle for me. It's a lateral move. Switches pieces around but doesn't necessarily make us better.

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
One of the things that Minnesota would be trying to address/counterbalance by moving either of these guys is the overall age of our team. The main piece coming back can't be a 29 year old LW, especially one that's set to get paid big money at 30.
He's only 29 and he's the best player right now in this trade proposal. The way I see it the wild are a good team now and with a few adjustments could still be dangerous in the next few years. At the same time Lehkonen and 2019 second rnd pick add youth to the trade. Adds to present and to future.
I believe that Brodin is at the very least a very good #2 LHD. Coyle is the high risk high reward player in the trade. Montreal would definately do this trade with the intention of making him 2nd line center but could even use him as first if they don't sign or trade for someone else. Question is can he be that? Which Coyle are we getting. The 35, 37, 42 point guy or the 56 point guy. Why isnt he being used consistently at center? Can he handle the presure in Montreal? How much will he cost in 2 years?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Jets are just a big mean team... MIN shouldnt be blowing things up because they ran into one of the best teams in round 1.

adding a #2C and getting healthy are the 2 main needs.
This wasn't the first time the Wild made the playoffs...

It's been an ongoing occurrence that they can't get past the 1st or 2nd round and compete with the big boys in the West.

And I don't think another 2nd liner is what they need. They have plenty.

They need a 1st line forward that can drive offense and basically lead their team in points.

The Wild can be a tough team to play against. Zucker, Coyle and Nino are all good players, but a bid redundant. If they can turn one into a sniper, that'd be a wise move for them. Of the names I've seen listed in these threads, although he's going to cost quite a bit, I think William Nylander may be the best one.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

It's been an ongoing occurrence that they can't get past the 1st or 2nd round and compete with the big boys in the West.

They need a 1st line forward that can drive offense and basically lead their team in points.

The Wild can be a tough team to play against. Zucker, Coyle and Nino are all good players, but a bid redundant. If they can turn one into a sniper, that'd be a wise move for them. Of the names I've seen listed in these threads, although he's going to cost quite a bit, I think William Nylander may be the best one.
Exactly this

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's only 29 and he's the best player right now in this trade proposal. The way I see it the wild are a good team now and with a few adjustments could still be dangerous in the next few years. At the same time Lehkonen and 2019 second rnd pick add youth to the trade. Adds to present and to future.
I believe that Brodin is at the very least a very good #2 LHD. Coyle is the high risk high reward player in the trade. Montreal would definately do this trade with the intention of making him 2nd line center but could even use him as first if they don't sign or trade for someone else. Question is can he be that? Which Coyle are we getting. The 35, 37, 42 point guy or the 56 point guy. Why isnt he being used consistently at center? Can he handle the presure in Montreal? How much will he cost in 2 years?
"Jason Pominville is only 29 and he's the best player right now in this trade." And for the first year after that trade he was great: 30G-30A-60P. We extended him and, the year after that, still very good. A year after that... not so good. A few years after that and we're still dealing with the fallout from that deal in the form of Tyler Ennis.

In 2013 that made a degree of sense for us. In 2018 we've got no room to be banking on almost-30 wingers that we'll need to re-sign in a year. Beyond 2 years he is more likely to be a hindrance than a help, and Lehkonen and a 2nd don't offset that. There's also the opportunity cost of spending assets on him instead of the younger players we should actually be targeting.

I'm sure that there is a team out there that Pacioretty would fit well on. But it's not Minnesota.

Reactions: TaLoN

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Exactly this
I’m a Blues fan, I can relate to you guys. Your team reminds me a lot of us before we got Tarasenko. Having that one guy that other defenses have to be aware of and key in on makes a big difference. Heck, even with him, the Blues STILL need to add another scorer this summer.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I’m a Blues fan, I can relate to you guys. Your team reminds me a lot of us before we got Tarasenko. Having that one guy that other defenses have to be aware of and key in on makes a big difference. Heck, even with him, the Blues STILL need to add another scorer this summer.
You need more Yeobots, that's all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Zucker is a sniper. He has 33g. Nino, Coyle, and Zucker are not redundant. They have quite different games from one another.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker is a sniper. He has 33g. Nino, Coyle, and Zucker are not redundant. They have quite different games from one another.
Staal had 42g, tying the most ever by a Wild player.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And Nino scored 32 last year...

They all play a grinding type game based on speed and being tough to play against.

I think they’re pretty similar.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zucker is Parise with a better shot.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're kidding me. Zucker is far faster than Parise

Okay well I'm not going to go comparing every aspect of their game. In the most bare bones sense, Zucker plays a lot like Parise but with a better shot, and yes, he's faster too. Zucker is a lot closer to the elite grinder class than the sniper class of player. He likes to drive the net and get involved in the crease. He doesn't have high level passing or vision, puck handling or dangling skills, he's a hard nosed workhorse (with speed and a good shot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->