Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Dal Colle hasn't scored since November -

Anyone who has been watching have any insight?

Trying to find more advanced stats to give me a bigger picture - is he getting any PP time? 1st unit?
2nd?

How much ice time is he getting?

Certainly for a guy who can shoot - he hasn't generated enough shots - 59 in 36 games.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Trying to find more advanced stats to give me a bigger picture - is he getting any PP time? 1st unit?
2nd?

Certainly for a guy who can shoot - he hasn't generated enough shots - 59 in 36 games.

Whatever the reason I bet it starts and ends with not putting these kids in positions to succeed.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Whatever the reason I bet it starts and ends with not putting these kids in positions to succeed.

Dunno, the last time I watched them play (end of December), I saw Dal Colle and Ho-Sang on the ice for just about every PP and otherwise on a regular basis. Both seemed to be getting Top 6 minutes.

But that was just one game.

We know there have been demotions for Ho-Sang throughout the season. No reason to think these have been unwarranted (likely not just Thompson's decision either).

All in all, rather disappointing that other than Toews, none of the NYI draft picks playing on this AHL club are having an outstanding season, despite the team having started off pretty strong.

The goalies have tailed off, the core D of Toews, Mayfield, Pelech and Pulock (granted, some promotions and injury time in between) haven't shown to be of winning quality, the Kearns/Bernier/Gionta trio has been just average in league-wide veteran comparison and our major forward prospects Dal Colle and Ho-Sang have not been able to set themselves apart from the likes of AHL rookies Fritz and St. Denis.

The team has played 32 games and Bernier and Kearns lead the way with 11 goals. Josh and Michael have combined for 10.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

2nd?

I'm curious how the other areas of Dal Colle's game that were weak in junior are progressing. Puck protection, skating, strength, defensive play, physical play. Is he making any progress in any or all of those areas?

He'll always have a "goal scorer's touch" when he gets an opportunity, but I think those areas above will determine how effective he'll ever be at consistently getting into position to score those goals at the pro level.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A little over halfway through the first period.

Ho-Sang with a beautiful zone entry on the powerplay, curls back, turns it over while walking the blueline. Turned it over in his own zone in the same sequence. That's why he's in the AHL folks. Very willing to back check hard, though.

Dal Colle and Ho-Sang aren't on the top powerplay, Toews is and looked good.

Dal Colle got closed in on so fast while trying to take a shot, very Strome esque.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Dal Colle just took it in the zone and sniped one home on a 4 on 4. Very nice play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ho-Sang would be a welcomed addition to the Isles PP. His skating is top notch and it would be so useful gaining the zone.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ho-Sang would be a welcomed addition to the Isles PP. His skating is top notch and it would be so useful gaining the zone.

I was a big proponent of him getting called up early. Don't know if it's wise but I trust Thompson that he's probably not doing enough off the puck. The last two interviews I read from him are him confirming that's the case. He says he has more work to do in that department.

Without a huge improvement, i've pretty much abandoned the thought he'll see time in the NHL this season. Beauvillier does almost everything right and the kids a healthy scratch every night, can't expect Ho-Sang to get much time....

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Dalecole

So seeing the video of DC's 8th goal of the year posted by Seafoam its encouraging to see him making plays. It seems he is often portrayed here as being more of an opportunist who relies on a playmaker to present him with the perfect pass in order to capitalize. Great play gains the line with speed nice move forces the D back uses the screen terrific release just a very strong offensive play.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
We have the talent, I feel like we just lack the ability to develop said talent.

I wanted to believe Thompson was doing well because of our record, but there is no excuses why a 5th overall pick who has the best shot in the organization isn't scoring.

Ho-Sang might be our most talented player bar none and we are struggling to rope the kid in

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
We have the talent, I feel like we just lack the ability to develop said talent.

I wanted to believe Thompson was doing well because of our record, but there is no excuses why a 5th overall pick who has the best shot in the organization isn't scoring.

Ho-Sang might be our most talented player bar none and we are struggling to rope the kid in

Well he did disappear for half a season last year in juniors, so I don't think it is unimaginable that there is some fundamental issue as opposed to mismanagement.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Part of adjusting to pro hockey. It's not like these guys were superstars in junior - they have to learn to play against men, they both need to get way stronger and learn to play without the puck and also how to score in the pros.

And some don't make it.

If they were ready, we'd all know.

First year pros. Let's not forget that.

It's not their fault that others have disappointed and now the Islanders need them to hurry up and develop.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Well he did disappear for half a season last year in juniors, so I don't think it is unimaginable that there is some fundamental issue as opposed to mismanagement.

Good point, but to be fair that was a total rebuilding team in Oshawa. I will still argue a fifth overall pick shouldn't have struggled as much as he did on that team. Needless to say, once he was traded and had a better supporting cast he really turned it on.

We aren't totally void of talent in Bridgeport, and the kid is getting top six minutes. I think it is evident MDC will be a very streaky player, but still need to see more than eight goals at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad