Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Bailey is the least of our issues at the moment. I understand the guy has been a whipping post for a very long time, however, that mentality needs to be put to rest. The guy is two points shy of everyone's favorite Okposo at this point in the season.
Bailey is certainly having his best season so far but he is just in pace for 51 points. For a player playing on the 1st line all year long, 1st PP unit, having lot of ice time, those stats are quite "average". I think it shows that Bailey is not a true 1st liner. But we all know that. Ideally Bailey is a 2nd-3rd line player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Over Ho-Sang or Dal Colle makes even less sense

Let's be honest, it's not like either of these guys are tearing up the AHL and it's like they are forcing our hands to get them on the ice for us.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I am sure Gionta wasn't called up because the team needed more skill. They needed more experience to cover other player's mistakes.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Ho-Sang's getting healthy scratched and played on the fourth line in BP, it was very unlikely he'd be the first option to be called up in case of injury.

We've established from those who watch Bridgeport games that Ho-Sang is usually the most dangerous player on the ice when he's playing. The isles organization is likely playing him on the 4th line because they're smarter than everyone else and want him to work on his defensive game.

While I have you I have been meaning to ask what are your thoughts on Jason Robertson? Thanks STK! Hope all is well.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Over Ho-Sang or Dal Colle makes even less sense

I don't see any reason to call up either one at this point.

Gionta is just going up to assume 4th line minutes anyways, and might be more adept at helping to hold 3rd period leads than many others have been recently...

It wasn't too long ago that Gionta (and Bernier for that matter) were playing on an active 4th line for a team in the SC finals.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We've established from those who watch Bridgeport games that Ho-Sang is usually the most dangerous player on the ice when he's playing. The isles organization is likely playing him on the 4th line because they're smarter than everyone else and want him to work on his defensive game.

Oh, I'm not saying Ho-Sang sucks or isn't good enough to be called up necessarily. I'm just saying that, based on how the organization is using him, it's not a shock he's not even on the radar for a call-up. Teams don't typically call up a guy who has been a healthy scratch in the AHL recently.

While I have you I have been meaning to ask what are your thoughts on Jason Robertson? Thanks STK! Hope all is well.

He's a tough nut to analyze. He's got a legitimate scoring touch, and he's got some decent size (though he's got a bit of Dal Colle in him -- tall, but lanky and needs to put on weight/strength). His wheels also seems a bit average/slightly above average for the OHL level, which holds me back from gushing over him.

But he's definitely got a nose for the net and generates a lot of those chances in close, so he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas to score. He's just not dynamic or explosive. Best comparison I could come up with that might give you an idea of how he plays on the ice is a poor man's Dal Colle (depending on what your or other Isles' fans thoughts are on Dal Colle at this point, that's either a positive or negative for Robertson).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Oh, I'm not saying Ho-Sang sucks or isn't good enough to be called up necessarily. I'm just saying that, based on how the organization is using him, it's not a shock he's not even on the radar for a call-up. Teams don't typically call up a guy who has been a healthy scratch in the AHL recently.

He's a tough nut to analyze. He's got a legitimate scoring touch, and he's got some decent size (though he's got a bit of Dal Colle in him -- tall, but lanky and needs to put on weight/strength). His wheels also seems a bit average/slightly above average for the OHL level, which holds me back from gushing over him.

But he's definitely got a nose for the net and generates a lot of those chances in close, so he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas to score. He's just not dynamic or explosive. Best comparison I could come up with that might give you an idea of how he plays on the ice is a poor man's Dal Colle (depending on what your or other Isles' fans thoughts are on Dal Colle at this point, that's either a positive or negative for Robertson).

I'm still high on Dal Colle. His skating is definitely a concern but I beleive with the right center and/or line mates he can be a successful scorer. Will he get that with the islanders is another question entirely.

Robertson is intriguing but definitely a "project" pick. I've seen him ranked as high as a mid first to an early third.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Let's be honest, it's not like either of these guys are tearing up the AHL and it's like they are forcing our hands to get them on the ice for us.
The sad part is, 75% or more of our current line up likely wouldn't be tearing up the AHL either, as the N.H.L on the whole features a helluva lot of mediocre players these days, which is why most games are very blah to say the least.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Bailey is certainly having his best season so far but he is just in pace for 51 points. For a player playing on the 1st line all year long, 1st PP unit, having lot of ice time, those stats are quite "average". I think it shows that Bailey is not a true 1st liner. But we all know that. Ideally Bailey is a 2nd-3rd line player.

Bailey is on pace for 52 points.
The bigger problem is that JT is on pace for 60 points!

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

Ho-Sang is very gifted with puck but without it he is a disaster and even with puck he overhandles it, plus his backchecking/effort level is lacking which is why he is getting scratched so often. I think he could end up in ECHL soon IMO, he is a liability if he plays this way. Dal Colle is improving, he isnt going to be ready this year but his effort level is good and he clearly can score he is learning to play away from puck and he is getting better. The guy that is intriguing up front is Tanner Fritz, he is smallish but is quick and has good skills plus he kills penalties and can play all over the lineup. Devon Toews is really good, Isles will be fine on D with Toews, Pulock, Pelech and to lesser extent Mayfield(who is improving)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In looking for some positives to Josh Ho-Sang's 4 healthy scratches this season, he bounced back well after each benching. Each time he made the scoresheet the following game. Last night was a 1G, 1A effort. Good for him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Pulock needs to be called up. The kid has an absolute cannon and is scoring in the AHL. We need that on our PP.

Amen to that.

Time to use the depth we've accumulated and nudge Hickey to the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad