Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Actually, I don't think the organization is questioning his ability to produce.

It's more about him making better decisions with respect to when its wise to avoid high danger situations and changing the propensity with which he makes costly turnovers.
Watch the video beach posted in the Goalies thread below.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Gibson has a .904 sv% on a team that’s been hovering around 4th-5th place. I’ve seen him play 2 times this season and one of his games posted a shut out, the other was a 3-2 loss where he also looked very sharp. I take goalie stats in the AHL with a grain of salt as this is not a defense first league.

Overall, has he played well though (outside of the two games you’ve seen).

And the AHL is that high scoring? I don’t see insane stat lines.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Overall, has he played well though (outside of the two games you’ve seen).

And the AHL is that high scoring? I don’t see insane stat lines.
Maybe not in scoring but some really inferior defenses in this league, particularly D men

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Was at the game last night. I don’t see many ST games, so this is just a snapshot, not an indication of the season or players.

JHS great puck handling at times, some great skills trying to get open or thru the defense with the puck. Also turns the puck over a lot trying to do that.

Dal Colle looks really slow. Flubbed a couple shots. Looks disinterested. Kinda like Nelson.

#24 St Denis - that guy was all over the ice last night. Played a really good game.

Again this is just a snapshot, one game observation. So take it with a grain of salt. #24 could be a total waste of a roster spot and just had a rare good game.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Was at the game last night. I don’t see many ST games, so this is just a snapshot, not an indication of the season or players.

Dal Colle looks really slow. Flubbed a couple shots. Looks disinterested. Kinda like Nelson.

e.
Thanks for the scouting report.
I wonder if part of the reason for MDC's recent call up, wasn't to dangle a carrot in front of him so to speak.

Let him know he is not buried in Bridgeport, that he is still in the organization's plans.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Thanks for the scouting report.
I wonder if part of the reason for MDC's recent call up, wasn't to dangle a carrot in front of him so to speak.

Let him know he is not buried in Bridgeport, that he is still in the organization's plans.

At this point I question his work ethic. He has to know his skating isn't good enough but he hasn't made the effort to improve. I'm surprised since pre draft having was raving about his character.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
At this point I question his work ethic. He has to know his skating isn't good enough but he hasn't made the effort to improve. I'm surprised since pre draft having was raving about his character.
I thought MDC was working with a skating coach. Nothing I had read,just seemed to to be a common sense move: work to improve the weakest part of his game.

After Reinhart was dealt, I was really surprised to read his comments that he had not considered his skating to be a problem and that he was only then prepared to work on his skating.

How do these players not realize the weakest part of their game and refuse to work on it?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I thought MDC was working with a skating coach. Nothing I had read,just seemed to to be a common sense move: work to improve the weakest part of his game.

After Reinhart was dealt, I was really surprised to read his comments that he had not considered his skating to be a problem and that he was only then prepared to work on his skating.

How do these players not realize the weakest part of their game and refuse to work on it?

Maybe Eric Cairns is the skating coach . This is how we do it

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Oh and if you go to a ST game, get there a few hours early and go to Brewport for Pizza and beer. Very good pizza and wide beer selection.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This with fewer turnovers and he will make all the doubters go radio silent! I am really hoping this kid makes it.

Ho-Sang has the tools to be as electric as Barzal, perhaps not consistently or as good defensively but just watch him skate and handle the puck. He will eventually force managements hand, he is too talented to be in the AHL for an extended period of time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ho-Sang has the tools to be as electric as Barzal, perhaps not consistently or as good defensively but just watch him skate and handle the puck. He will eventually force managements hand, he is too talented to be in the AHL for an extended period of time.

I think it's right of the Isles to wait on him to 'force their hand'.

He's got to be the one who makes it clear that he's more important to them than they are to him. That's not the current situation.

Unfortunately for us fans, because we'd all like to see a pretty error-free Ho-Sang dancing around on the ice at the NHL level.

Sure hope HE makes that a reality.

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ho-Sang gets pushed off the puck much more easily than Barzal, and often skates himself into no man’s land with the puck still on his stick.

Barzal seems to always have an out (well, he’s not perfect, but he’s not a liability at the NHL level), which is how responsble you need to be at the NHL level to earn a coach’s trust.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So this is what the team is throwing on the ice nowadays...
Screenshot

The Isles' AHL franchise is fielding only 5 of their own draft picks and not one of them looks like a lock for an NHL future.

Nice...

Reactions: redbull

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
So this is what the team is throwing on the ice nowadays...
Screenshot

The Isles' AHL franchise is fielding only 5 of their own draft picks and not one of them looks like a lock for an NHL future.

Nice...

I know. It's just crazy how we haven't got ready-to-go NHLers after all those years of futility. Especially in really key positions - centre and defense. Let's leave Sorokin and Soderstrom out of it because goalies take a long time and they both look promising - but how have we NOT developed any top tier defensemen/forwards that are knocking on the door?

Granted, Beavillier, Ho-Sang, Barzal are young and promising, still on ELCs but Brideport looks like a worse version of a non-affiliate AHL team.

I'm hopeful for Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel, though they need at least another full season to see where they can get. I'm just really disappointed at the state of this organization across the board at this time.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Yet they have a few promising rookies on the team and promising players in Europe and juniors

exactly. Beauvillier, Barzal, Bellows, Dal Colle, Koivula, Ho Sang, Golyshev, Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Aho, Toews, Vande Sompel, Gibson, Sorokin, Soderstrom. all good, young, talent.

throw in the Isles core, Lee, JT, Bailey, Eberle, Cizikas, Leddy, Cizikas, De Haan... all 27 or younger. we are young and still have lots of room for improvement.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yet they have a few promising rookies on the team and promising players in Europe and juniors

dood said:
exactly. Beauvillier, Barzal, Bellows, Dal Colle, Koivula, Ho Sang, Golyshev, Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Aho, Toews, Vande Sompel, Gibson, Sorokin, Soderstrom. all good, young, talent.

throw in the Isles core, Lee, JT, Bailey, Eberle, Cizikas, Leddy, Cizikas, De Haan... all 27 or younger. we are young and still have lots of room for improvement.

What I was getting at is that our of the 4 lines our main farm team is rolling with, only 5 of those bodies are our own draft picks.

The idea behind a farm team is that the players a team drafts (and those signed along the way, like Stevens) are there and learning the "organizational philosophy" while getting valuable playing experience at a level right below the NHL.

Whether we have promising draft picks in the organization is another topic, perhaps best suited for the prospects thread.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Soundtigers have dropped 3 in a row.

The 5-4 loss to the little Rangers was in OT, coming back from 4-0 to send the game to OT.

Then 3-1 and 3-2 losses.

No points for Ho-Sang in any of the losses. Dal Colle with 1-1-2.

Uhhh, ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad