Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Interesting player Ho Sang. Will he do what it takes to get his coaches confidence again? I think he is smart enough to understand this eventually or like posters have been saying Europe looks nice I guess...
At 21 yrs old, you don't think the other 30 nhl teams would not be interested in JHS on his ELC?
C'mon seriously?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Sound Tigers swept a home and home from the Providence Bruins. A 3-2 win in Providence on Friday and a 2-1 shootout win last night in Bridgeport. Christopher Gibson got both wins.

The Sound Tigers currently have the last playoff spot in their division by a couple of percentage points.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
The Sound Tigers swept a home and home from the Providence Bruins. A 3-2 win in Providence on Friday and a 2-1 shootout win last night in Bridgeport. Christopher Gibson got both wins.

The Sound Tigers currently have the last playoff spot in their division by a couple of percentage points.

to add onto this... JHS with assist last night and a +1. Bruins score with 3 minutes left in the game. we only mustered 18 shots on goal, and allowed 28.

Gibson seems to be either really hot, or really cold. not sure what to make of him...

Last edited:

Kasparaitis

Jan 25, 2017
One thing I did notice in the attendance figures is other than a legacy team like Hersey, who is leading the AHL in attendance, most of the league leaders are in the Western Conference.

I grew up near Hershey and became a hockey fan by seeing them play back when the NHL was the "Original Six". Quite a high level of hockey in the AHL in those days.

One of the reasons Hershey does well in attendance (in addition to the fact there is a long tradition of good hockey) can be gleaned from looking at their schedule:

Game Schedule | Hershey Bears Hockey

They have home games mostly on either Saturday night or Sunday afternoon. In February, all their home games are on one of those two. In March, there is one Friday game. In April, one Saturday night and one Sunday afternoon. So from January to April, a total of two Wednesday games and one Friday game. Longevity has its rewards.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Any of you guys have a bit of a report on Burroughs?

Not tall, but with a sturdy build, he does have a pretty nice +/- rating thus far.

Is there any NHL potential here?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Eamon MacAdam was recalled by Bridgeport today. Is it because Christopher Gibson is on his way to the Islanders or because Gudlevskis sucks?

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Eamon MacAdam was recalled by Bridgeport today. Is it because Christopher Gibson is on his way to the Islanders or because Gudlevskis sucks?

Should have never traded away Verhaeghe. Saw him in 3 or 4 games last year and like his game. He is putting up solid numbers with TB AHL team and is only 22 years old(probably would be getting a look with the Isles right now with all the injuries). Never got this trade as we had enough project goalies.

Reactions: dood

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Should have never traded away Verhaeghe. Saw him in 3 or 4 games last year and like his game. He is putting up solid numbers with TB AHL team and is only 22 years old(probably would be getting a look with the Isles right now with all the injuries). Never got this trade as we had enough project goalies.

The amazing part of that trade - even though Halak and Griess were horrible again - we never used him. Garth is a mess.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can anyone tell me a little about Burroughs?

Wrote this in the prospects thread as he was a topic just last week:
<<<
I remember that the McKeen's season preview write-up on him said there's a real defensively-oriented #5/6 Dman to be found in Burroughs. He blocks shots and isn't afraid to get dirty.

When drafted, he was felt to be a smaller Dman from the WHL (a common theme over Snow's years as GM) who had grit and leadership. He's now listed at 6'0" and 203 lbs., thus already bigger than Aho and Hickey.

A look at his stats in the AHL makes you wonder. He's currently +13 and offensively, I think he's seen as decent with the first pass and good along the blueline, but not a puck-carrying type. And not a particularly fluid skater.

He's got his share of penalty minutes in the AHL thus far, making me think that the readiness for the rough stuff is there, but so too are possible skating deficiencies.

I'm assuming that he's not a guy we hear anything about, because the skating is deemed to be too deficient for an NHL look at this juncture.

Still, after everything we've seen over the past 20 games, it would almost be a relief to see a defense-first guy with a sturdy frame who'd throw a check out there.

Maybe one of the BPort viewers could give us a more up-to-date report on him?
<<<

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
BPort took two wins this weekend, 3-2 and 1-0 (in the shootout). Not bad when you think about how Toews is gone for the season and Aho, Fritz, Johnston, and DalColle are up on the Island.

Gibson got the 3-2 win, Gudlevskis the 1-0 win. Pretty impressive.

All in all, the team has won 4 of the last 6 games and every single game - even the losses - was decided by 1 goal. The Tigers mustered up no more than 3 goals in any of those games.

For a team that already wasn't an offensive giant, the loss of their top two offensive Dmen as well as their topscorer Fritz is a tough blow to face.

In the 3-2 win the other night, Ho-Sang had 1-1-2. Everyone knows that if he'd decided to really get his act together, he could still make a serious impact for the Islanders.

However, the game against Chicago showed us that both Fritz and Johnston are really willing to keep the game simply, get their bodies involved, and make the smart play with the puck. And honestly, right now the Isles need that more than anything else from its lower line players.

And I'm betting Johnston IMMEDIATELY earned respect from his teammates while guys like Chimera would likely say they like playing with Fritz.

Reactions: dood

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Wrote this in the prospects thread as he was a topic just last week:
p>
I remember that the McKeen's season preview write-up on him said there's a real defensively-oriented #5/6 Dman to be found in Burroughs. He blocks shots and isn't afraid to get dirty.

When drafted, he was felt to be a smaller Dman from the WHL (a common theme over Snow's years as GM) who had grit and leadership. He's now listed at 6'0" and 203 lbs., thus already bigger than Aho and Hickey.

A look at his stats in the AHL makes you wonder. He's currently +13 and offensively, I think he's seen as decent with the first pass and good along the blueline, but not a puck-carrying type. And not a particularly fluid skater.

He's got his share of penalty minutes in the AHL thus far, making me think that the readiness for the rough stuff is there, but so too are possible skating deficiencies.

I'm assuming that he's not a guy we hear anything about, because the skating is deemed to be too deficient for an NHL look at this juncture.

Still, after everything we've seen over the past 20 games, it would almost be a relief to see a defense-first guy with a sturdy frame who'd throw a check out there.

Maybe one of the BPort viewers could give us a more up-to-date report on him?

Exactly. Nothing wrong with Aho in terms of skating, however, scoring is not our problem right now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Mitch Vande Sompel and Christopher Gibson were named to the AHL All Star Game as replacements for Sebastian Aho and Tanner Fritz. Congrats boys.

Reactions: xECK29x

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I really wouldn't mind if we could get out of Greiss' contract and promote Gibson to be the full time backup, or am I crazy? I've just liked him since going back to his junior days.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I really wouldn't mind if we could get out of Greiss' contract and promote Gibson to be the full time backup, or am I crazy? I've just liked him since going back to his junior days.
I think Gibson can be a little better than average in the AHL. He certainly could backup in the NHL and put up the same numbers as Greiss or slightly better at a fraction of the cost, so yeah, bring up Gibson!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Gibson has avg. stats worthy of an AS nod?
Gibson has a .904 sv% on a team that’s been hovering around 4th-5th place. I’ve seen him play 2 times this season and one of his games posted a shut out, the other was a 3-2 loss where he also looked very sharp. I take goalie stats in the AHL with a grain of salt as this is not a defense first league.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
If the Isles are expecting BPT production from JHS, what kind of line-mates are they pairing him with to give him a chance at development? It doesn't look like he really has decent linemates at the moment to me, but I'm not as familiar with BPT's depth at some other posters here.

Are they doing another Nino situation where they play him with scrubs and then hold his lack of production against him?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If the Isles are expecting BPT production from JHS, what kind of line-mates are they pairing him with to give him a chance at development? It doesn't look like he really has decent linemates at the moment to me, but I'm not as familiar with BPT's depth at some other posters here.

Are they doing another Nino situation where they play him with scrubs and then hold his lack of production against him?

Actually, I don't think the organization is questioning his ability to produce.

It's more about him making better decisions with respect to when its wise to avoid high danger situations and changing the propensity with which he makes costly turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad