Brian Dumoulin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am guessing the Pens' problems stem from Dumo's fancy grub.

For Penguins defenseman Brian Dumoulin, the pursuit of good food never ends

Brian Dumoulin spent his teenage years working in a restaurant, washing dishes at a seafood joint in southern Maine called Huot’s. The Food Network is Dumoulin’s go-to whenever he flips on the TV. Cooking has long been a favorite hobby, especially when it comes to preparing different types of meat.

So it should be absolutely zero surprise that, when the Penguins hit the road, Dumoulin hardly is the type to stick to chain restaurants or settle for room service. In fact, along with a couple of teammates, Dumoulin has helped form the team’s own supper club.

For Penguins defenseman Brian Dumoulin, the pursuit of good food never ends

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The thing that has impressed me about Dumo is that when the games start to matter his game comes up a level. He has been outstanding in both playoff runs.

That being said, I can completely understand why people have soured on him. His game at its best is bland and his game at it's worst is completely infuriating.

Reactions: BHD

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
For what it’s worth, Cole has averaged the fewest minutes (Top 6 D) the past 2 Cup runs while Dumoulin has been 3rd and 1st. I would assume the coaches know what they are doing minimalizing Cole’s ice time, even playing Lovejoy more minutes.

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Dumoulin kind of reminds me of a stay at home version of Ryan Whitney. Big guy, good skater but man is he soft.

I don't want him traded though. The entire core is 30-31. Dumoulin is only 26 and there's not exactly a bunch of great D prospects knocking on the door. Unless you're getting somebody younger for him/improving upon him, why bother?

Reactions: wej20

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Dumoulin kind of reminds me of a stay at home version of Ryan Whitney. Big guy, good skater but man is he soft.

I don't want him traded though. The entire core is 30-31. Dumoulin is only 26 and there's not exactly a bunch of great D prospects knocking on the door. Unless you're getting somebody younger for him/improving upon him, why bother?

Yep, Clayton Phillips and Zach Lauzon seemed to be the best two defensive prospects we have and they're at least 3 years away from playing in the NHL.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
For what it’s worth, Cole has averaged the fewest minutes (Top 6 D) the past 2 Cup runs while Dumoulin has been 3rd and 1st. I would assume the coaches know what they are doing minimalizing Cole’s ice time, even playing Lovejoy more minutes.
You do know that Ian Cole played more total minutes than any other Penguin d man last year don't you? Now not on a nightly basis, but with injuries Cole led in games played and total minutes for the Pens. This is another fact that is also a stat. I must add that this fact should not be overlooked but yet it must be the coach and the management that have failed to look through the stat sheets.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I didn't get to see the Pens often this season and while looking at stats i was surprised by his 4 goals (wtf?) and -7 (again... wtf?).

Searched for a Dumoulin thread, found this but still can't understand what happened with him, did he try to change his game or something?

I don't remember him scoring goals before...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't get to see the Pens often this season and while looking at stats i was surprised by his 4 goals (wtf?) and -7 (again... wtf?).

Searched for a Dumoulin thread, found this but still can't understand what happened with him, did he try to change his game or something?

I don't remember him scoring goals before...

I don't know about the goals, but I am pretty sure the -7 comes from standing next to Letang for most of his bad spell.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The thing that has impressed me about Dumo is that when the games start to matter his game comes up a level. He has been outstanding in both playoff runs.

That being said, I can completely understand why people have soured on him. His game at its best is bland and his game at it's worst is completely infuriating.

If he steps up again, then I'll file it under old school Phil.

If he doesn't, then I think you have to rethink his value (not move him necessarily, but rethink just how important he may or may not be in the grand scheme of things).

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
A contract i would certainly try to move, but only if we're getting value back. Not gonna give him away. Just feel like we can replace his game for someone making less.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He serves a purpose as a life jacket for Letang, or any player on the top pair. So yeah, if you have a guy on a manageable contract to stabilize the top pair, then hold onto him.

That's how I view him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He serves a purpose as a life jacket for Letang, or any player on the top pair. So yeah, if you have a guy on a manageable contract to stabilize the top pair, then hold onto him.

That's how I view him.

He’s shooting much better and harder (not that that was hard lol) recently and this season. So while he’ll never put up a ton of goals a few more will help then someone might actually have to play near him instead of taking away ice from the forwards.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Still a big fan of him, the thing is I just do not get it anymore... Guy went from being the rock to playing awful hockey. Among our worst performers nigh in and nigh out, this year. All of that when I thought that he is fully ready to become an effective part of our core. Right now tho, he is doing everything wrong.. not only is he irrelevant offensively, he creates defensive lapses as well. I think his level of play this season is absolutely unacceptable and it is an underrated part of why we are where we are now...

He better gets his **** together soon, because you can´t have a player playing like this on your first pair, unless you are a lottery chaser. Not sure what to think anymore. I just don´t understand how can a guy with such a solid, reliable game in his prime go from a hero to the zero just like this. Probably, separating him from Letang could be an idea...
Typical what have you done for me lately post. If Dumo was such a hindrance and played terribly like you said how did he manage to play top pairing minutes two straight cup finals? Are you expectations too high, undoubtably yes they are. He's a stay at home defender who isn't the greatest skater, no wonder he doesn't jump in the play like HIS PARTNER DOES. Its like you don't even watch the games.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
I always figured Daley would leave. He seemed genuinely (albeit slightly) saddened about his departure from Chicago because he loved the city. Just seems like a guy who would rather play in a place like Chicago, NY, Detroit atmosphere. Didn't take long for him to depart (think he was the first to leave right?)... Sucked losing him because he was serviceable in our system, but never really had faith he would re sign anyway.
Yes lets give up a defender who's better and younger by a decade for a guys who's legs are starting to go and is slowing down. Daley wanted to go for the most money, not for a city atmosphere. Clearly you're making stuff up as you go along.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Dumo is a legit 1st pair/2nd D being paid peanuts compared to what players in that position usually command.

The guy is rock solid and woefully underrated when it comes to his work down low and getting the puck to someone in support without stupidly smacking the puck off the glass. And as someone already pointed out, he ups his game as the stakes get higher. Watch the Hornqvist/Hagelin clinching empty net goals against the Sharks and Preds respectively. Dumo is on the ice both times in the waning moments defending the lead.

And as of late, ask yourself: Is Letang insulating Dumo, or is it really the other way around?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Yes lets give up a defender who's better and younger by a decade for a guys who's legs are starting to go and is slowing down. Daley wanted to go for the most money, not for a city atmosphere. Clearly you're making stuff up as you go along.

Had nothing to do with giving up on Dumo in lieu of Daley - so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Daley was also in an interview after being traded to the Pens saying how his family loved Chicago so... Whatever. Sucked to lose him when I made that post and still sucks now - dude would be great on the Pens.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Dumo shouldn't be going anywhere. He doesn't hit or score a lot so he goes unnoticed, but he's the perfect compliment to Letang or Schultz. While not a hitter, his size and especially reach allows him to cover a ton of area defensively. He's smart and seldom out of position. Further, while he won't wow you by skating with the puck, he might have the best breakout pass on the team. Just set it and forget it with him. Dumo is fine.

Reactions: John Matthews

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Had nothing to do with giving up on Dumo in lieu of Daley - so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Daley was also in an interview after being traded to the Pens saying how his family loved Chicago so... Whatever. Sucked to lose him when I made that post and still sucks now - dude would be great on the Pens.
His legs are gone. Daley would easily be our slowest D, and doesnt offer anything Hunwick doesnt. A 27 year old Daley though would be a great addition.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad