Brian Dumoulin

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Still a big fan of him, the thing is I just do not get it anymore... Guy went from being the rock to playing awful hockey. Among our worst performers nigh in and nigh out, this year. All of that when I thought that he is fully ready to become an effective part of our core. Right now tho, he is doing everything wrong.. not only is he irrelevant offensively, he creates defensive lapses as well. I think his level of play this season is absolutely unacceptable and it is an underrated part of why we are where we are now...

He better gets his **** together soon, because you can´t have a player playing like this on your first pair, unless you are a lottery chaser. Not sure what to think anymore. I just don´t understand how can a guy with such a solid, reliable game in his prime go from a hero to the zero just like this. Probably, separating him from Letang could be an idea...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Still a big fan of him, the thing is I just do not get it anymore... Guy went from being the rock to playing awful hockey. Among our worst performers nigh in and nigh out, this year. All of that when I thought that he is fully ready to become an effective part of our core. Right now tho, he is doing everything wrong.. not only is he irrelevant offensively, he creates defensive lapses as well. I think his level of play this season is absolutely unacceptable and it is an underrated part of why we are where we are now...

He better gets his **** together soon, because you can´t have a player playing like this on your first pair, unless you are a lottery chaser. Not sure what to think anymore. I just don´t understand how can a guy with such a solid, reliable game in his prime go from a hero to the zero just like this. Probably, separating him from Letang could be an idea...

The whole d looks like a train wreck so it's hard to get a read on Dumo. Maatta's game has been putrid lately too imo. Tonight I thought he was garbage.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
The whole d looks like a train wreck so it's hard to get a read on Dumo. Maatta's game has been putrid lately too imo. Tonight I thought he was garbage.
Maatta, surprisingly enough, is the only one making progress. He is getting a bit unlucky especially in the offensive side of things, but I feel like he is doing lot of good things. Unlike Dumoulin.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Well he's been with Letang most of the year, so I'm sure THAT"S not helping his game. Watch when they move Dumo from Letang and he'll magically get better

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I've always thought Dumoulin was better when he had to be the more mobile player on his pairing. He looked good with Hainsey in the playoffs, he came into his own against all odds while dragging Scuderi around the ice that first year, and he looked good with Lovejoy. He's never been a point producer but I think he was always underrated as a puck-moving defenseman, and that part of his game has been completely crushed.

When Lovejoy left, it seemed the Penguins wanted Dumoulin to be the new stable, stay-at-home defenseman they keep drafting of late. I don't think that really gets the most out of him. It's certainly turned what used to be a really good possession defenseman into a terrible one, which is a damn shame.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dumoulin is infuriating but I see no reason to move him. It's not a position of strength, and we have basically zero D prospects.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He's been such a rock the past two years that his poor play this season is puzzling. Would give him more time before turning on him. Maatta on the other hand is much better this year than the last two.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think any of them are playing to their potential. That said, the forwards and the D-zone system are certainly not helping the matter.

Reactions: BHD and NEPA

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I was ridiculed for saying JR overpaid him this summer...

He’s a bottom pairing dman on teams with actual depth at d.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah you can't possibly win a Stanley Cup with him playing top pairing minutes.....

oh wait. You can. Twice.
As I said back then, just because a guy plays a lot of minutes or plays on a orticjkar line doesn’t mean they are that good. Dumo played so many minutes because we had no one else. Is Mike DeSmith an nhl starting goalie since he dressed for a game or two? I guess Riley Sheehan is a third line center since that’s where he plays here.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
As I said back then, just because a guy plays a lot of minutes or plays on a orticjkar line doesn’t mean they are that good. Dumo played so many minutes because we had no one else. Is Mike DeSmith an nhl starting goalie since he dressed for a game or two? I guess Riley Sheehan is a third line center since that’s where he plays here.

Are you saying that Dumo performed poorly the last 2 seasons? I really hope you're not because that's an ideologue you don't want to be married to

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are you saying that Dumo performed poorly the last 2 seasons? I really hope you're not because that's an ideologue you don't want to be married to

I definitey think there is an argument to Dumoulin not being the stud some people want to paint him as ( I own a Dumo jersey). He is a solid #3 or 4. Nothing more, I still remember people saying he was a bonafided #1 in the playoffs last year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was ridiculed for saying JR overpaid him this summer...

He’s a bottom pairing dman on teams with actual depth at d.

No, you were ridiculed for ridiculing that deal in one breath and calling on JR to sign Martin Hanzal for 4.75M per in another breath.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dumoulin and Hanzal have the same amount of points.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Extra Texture

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I definitey think there is an argument to Dumoulin not being the stud some people want to paint him as ( I own a Dumo jersey). He is a solid #3 or 4. Nothing more, I still remember people saying he was a bonafided #1 in the playoffs last year.
I don't disagree necessarily. It maybe was a stretch to call him a bona-fide #1 just as it's a gross exaggeration to call him a bottom-pairing guy. Fans love to swing to one extreme or the other. In reality, he's in the middle. A reliable, if not great middle-pairing guy who can succeed for stretches playing top-pairing minutes. Is he your standard top pairing guy? Absolutely not. But he can hold his own and he's shown it considering he was a #2 and de-facto #1 on two championship teams.

Yeah, let me know when Casey DeSmith or Sheahan play a crucial part in a team that wins a championship

Reactions: Extra Texture

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't disagree necessarily. It maybe was a stretch to call him a bona-fide #1 just as it's a gross exaggeration to call him a bottom-pairing guy. Fans love to swing to one extreme or the other. In reality, he's in the middle. A reliable, if not great middle-pairing guy who can succeed for stretches playing top-pairing minutes. Is he your standard top pairing guy? Absolutely not. But he can hold his own and he's shown it considering he was a #2 and de-facto #1 on two championship teams.

Here is what I disagree with. He was a #1 last year in the playoffs in the Nashville series. Maatta and Schultz stepped up in the Ottawa and Washington series.

In 2016, he was next to Conn Smythe level Letang.

Even on his best days, I think Dumo is a #3. He doesn’t have the offensive game to go above that.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Dumo has never been good for a significant period of time, and I've been trying to tell anyone here with a open brain that for the last 2 years. He's basically Mark Eaton, but makes 4mil/year. He just exists. No offense, average defense, ices it a ton. PIT management couldn't wait to lock him up with term.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think DUMO playing with Schultz is a far better fit for him. He is a very under rated skater. Watch him turn and skate with McDavid for instance and force him wide. Very few have that capability. He is not a good fit with Letang. He is a great fit with a solid guy who doesn't put him in high risk positions. Cole would be a great fit with Letang as his physical play would take the body out of the odd man rushes. But Dumo is a very good D man no matter what number one decides he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad