Brian Dumoulin

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Every defensemen has faltered during the early goings. I'm sure part of it is him to trying to make up for his shortcomings and part of it has to do with playing with the most brain-dead partner in the league.

That said, he's always been a solid if unspectacular player and is still a key part of the defense. I'm not that worried.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I always figured Daley would leave. He seemed genuinely (albeit slightly) saddened about his departure from Chicago because he loved the city. Just seems like a guy who would rather play in a place like Chicago, NY, Detroit atmosphere. Didn't take long for him to depart (think he was the first to leave right?)... Sucked losing him because he was serviceable in our system, but never really had faith he would re sign anyway.
He played 29 games for Chicago. I'd be surprised if he was attached to Chicago at all. Any sadness was probably to do with the fact that they thought so little of him that they traded him for Rob Scuderi.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
So you're solution would have been to let the two guys in their early 20s walk and sign the guy who is 33?

I like Daley and all, but that's terrible. Are we just gonna ignore the fact that Maatta looked a whole lot better early this season than he did the past two years?

Dumo will be fine, ultimately. He's a steady (if unimpressive) D man, but he was clearly very good the last two years and stepped up in a D corps without 58. I'm not just gonna throw that out because the whole team looks like trash and he is no exception.
I would have extended Cole before Maata and Dumo plain and simple. Cole isn't old either. I don't want players just because they are young, I want players that can play well consistently. I have yet to see Dumo or Maata play with any consistent level. I still can't figure out what the Pens see in those two other than a age number. Dumo at 26 is the player today he will always be. Lets hope that Maata can learn how to skate at the age of 23..it can happen.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would have extended Cole before Maata and Dumo plain and simple. Cole isn't old either. I don't want players just because they are young, I want players that can play well consistently. I have yet to see Dumo or Maata play with any consistent level. I still can't figure out what the Pens see in those two other than a age number. Dumo at 26 is the player today he will always be. Lets hope that Maata can learn how to skate at the age of 23..it can happen.
I'm really not sure if you expect us to have 6 Drew Doughties back there or if you don't realize what comparable defensemen in the NHL make but....you're so off base here you're in the bullpen

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They see better hockey players than Cole. And I like Cole.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
They see better hockey players than Cole. And I like Cole.
If the management sees better players than Cole you really better start to worry. Cole had the better stats of both of them after last season but those two got some hefty contracts. Management ( not just Pens ) has been known in the past to cover up foolish signings like these by reducing better players ice time or shipping them out. If their is a reason Cole gets irked at Sullivan its because Cole sees it first hand. Its tough to be better than your peers at a position, see them rewarded with nice contracts, and more ice time, and receive no added responsibilities. Cole will move on and be just fine but the Pens off back to back cups might not sniff the playoffs this year. It could get really ugly with Rue, Olek, Maata and Dumo with the cherry on top Lewang.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If the management sees better players than Cole you really better start to worry. Cole had the better stats of both of them after last season but those two got some hefty contracts. Management ( not just Pens ) has been known in the past to cover up foolish signings like these by reducing better players ice time or shipping them out. If their is a reason Cole gets irked at Sullivan its because Cole sees it first hand. Its tough to be better than your peers at a position, see them rewarded with nice contracts, and more ice time, and receive no added responsibilities. Cole will move on and be just fine but the Pens off back to back cups might not sniff the playoffs this year. It could get really ugly with Rue, Olek, Maata and Dumo with the cherry on top Lewang.

You are actually serious here aren't you? You actually think Cole is better than letang, maatta, and Dumoulin, don't you?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You are actually serious here aren't you? You actually think Cole is better than letang, maatta, and Dumoulin, don't you?

This is amazing. Not sure if they watched the playoffs. Maatta and Dumo were no doubt our best 2 D man last year. The year before Dumo was awesome too (Maatta steady and Letang great).

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Ian Cole has been a healthy scratch every year of his career.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don’t understand how someone watches Ian Cole, Olli Maatta and Dumo and thinks Cole is the best.
you don't, you read stats. Or in other words...
636304774377367722-USP-NHL--Stanley-Cup-Playoffs-Washington-Capitals.jpg

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

You want players who play well consistently yet you want to extend Ian Cole? Uh huh. Okay.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You want players who play well consistently yet you want to extend Ian Cole? Uh huh. Okay.

This is the same poster who believes Bortuzzo is a better player than letang totally because of plus/minus this year (check out the other thread he originated). It's frightening

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dumo took an other minus tonight up to a minus 9 for the year so far. LeTanger took another minus and he is up to minus 13 for the year. Cole is minus 4 what is so hard for you to understand? Other teams score lot when Dumo is on the ice. They score when Tanger is on too. Scoring is important too and Dumo is getting 20 and half minutes a game and projects to all of 7 points on the season. I can't be the only one who sees that. If so it might explain why the Penguins are out of a playoff spot at this moment.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Dumo took an other minus tonight up to a minus 9 for the year so far. LeTanger took another minus and he is up to minus 13 for the year. Cole is minus 4 what is so hard for you to understand? Other teams score lot when Dumo is on the ice. They score when Tanger is on too. Scoring is important too and Dumo is getting 20 and half minutes a game and projects to all of 7 points on the season. I can't be the only one who sees that. If so it might explain why the Penguins are out of a playoff spot at this moment.

Why aren’t you talking about Hunwick he’s a +1. I wish we signed him longer.

Karlsson’s a -15 on the year but you probably wouldn’t trade Cole for him. Or Leddy, Burns, OEL

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This is why people can't take the "stats crowd" seriously. This is an EXTREME bias towards numbers. And to die on the hill of the worst available stat (plus/minus) really ties a bow on this convoluted thinking.

Numbers are fine and all, but don't let them replace your eyes. And my eyes tell me that Hunwick isn't even in the same stratosphere as Letang, let alone Erik Karlsson

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I base my evaluations on a combination of things but stats are at the top of the list. In Cole's case he has had those stats ( plus minus a plus, some offense, blocked shots, hits, ) his entire career. As far has getting or taking penalties anyone who has been involved in the sport knows that at times they need to be taken. Its most likely a moot point has from what I hear Cole has a deal in place and it might be wise or fun for some of you to look at other teams scratches over the next few days so that you may get an idea of what could be coming.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why aren’t you talking about Hunwick he’s a +1. I wish we signed him longer.

Karlsson’s a -15 on the year but you probably wouldn’t trade Cole for him. Or Leddy, Burns, OEL
I have not seen Hunwick play awful yet or be fishing pucks out from the back of his net. I have witnessed that so many times with Dumo this year as well as Letang. Saw it a bunch last year with Maata but less this year. Hey Sully won 2 cups in a row its tough to argue about any roster moves he makes. At least it will be until he misses the playoffs entirely.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I have not seen Hunwick play awful yet or be fishing pucks out from the back of his net. I have witnessed that so many times with Dumo this year as well as Letang. Saw it a bunch last year with Maata but less this year. Hey Sully won 2 cups in a row its tough to argue about any roster moves he makes. At least it will be until he misses the playoffs entirely.

No you didn’t!!! Maatta the previous 2 years wasn’t on the ice for that many goals.

For a “stats guy” you’d think you’d know that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is why people can't take the "stats crowd" seriously. This is an EXTREME bias towards numbers. And to die on the hill of the worst available stat (plus/minus) really ties a bow on this convoluted thinking.

Numbers are fine and all, but don't let them replace your eyes. And my eyes tell me that Hunwick isn't even in the same stratosphere as Letang, let alone Erik Karlsson

Stat crowd would disagree with Ian Cole being anything but a fringe d-man and point to Letang or Maatta being our best defenseman.

So, stat crowd isn’t this guy.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I base my evaluations on a combination of things but stats are at the top of the list. In Cole's case he has had those stats ( plus minus a plus, some offense, blocked shots, hits, ) his entire career. As far has getting or taking penalties anyone who has been involved in the sport knows that at times they need to be taken. Its most likely a moot point has from what I hear Cole has a deal in place and it might be wise or fun for some of you to look at other teams scratches over the next few days so that you may get an idea of what could be coming.

And if those were the types of penalties he was taking, no one would be saying a thing about it... but they're not - he's been taking shit penalties all season.

And while +/- is a stat (technically) it's such a terrible stat, that I can't believe anyone would bring it up in a discussion regarding one D being 'better' or 'worse' then another. It's like arguing whether Miley Cyrus is a better musician/singer then Justin Beiber - that's how f***ing stupid using +/- is in an argument about one D being better then another.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
he's had those stats his entire career, and he's still been a scratch each year under different coaches. I like the guy. He's solid. But he's a bottom pairing guy maybe an okay #4. He's not as good as Maatta or Dumo. If the stats you are using tell you that he is, then you need to use more than those stats to form your opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad