Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You speak sense.

But the pickup would have to blow our collective minds.

And if it was Zucc and Girardi/Staal traded together, I guess it would be easier to bear.

yeah...agreed...it looks like...so far anyway, that Gorton isnt going to get swindled when trying to get back value for his roster players.

i phrased that carefully because of the Eric Staal trade.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe it's a sign that they realize there is zero point in not doing it.

Especially because the new broke from Friedman almost 24 hours before they officially announced it and he said 1 year at 1.1m and then General Fanager confirmed it at that rate. It makes no sense at that point to hold it back, hopefully this is their operating procedure moving forward.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Cool. Put him at the top of the circle on the PP and run an umbrella like the Caps

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Zucc in the corner, Kreider in front of the net, Pirri at the right circle, Zibanejad at the left circle, McDonagh running the show from the center of the point :naughty:

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
This is a great pickup, Gorton needs to grab a defenseman and he'll have done a masterful job this offseason

Masterful??? You're setting the bar real low if this off season has been masterful. I realize Gorton's hands were tied and he did a fine job of dumpster diving but I don't think this team is much better, if at all, than last season's version.

And BTW - Can someone explain why we would trade our best forward in Zucc??? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Masterful??? You're setting the bar real low if this off season has been masterful. I realize Gorton's hands were tied and he did a fine job of dumpster diving but I don't think this team is much better, if at all, than last season's version.

And BTW - Can someone explain why we would trade our best forward in Zucc??? Makes no sense.

His production and his contract suggest his value is at its peak. This team wont contend until we fix the blue line and that may take couple years. May take couple years for the young guys like Skjei, McIlrath and Graves to establish themselves. Zucca will be 30 by that team and entering last year of his contract.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Granted I haven't seen much of Pirri, but this kid has been a pretty good offensive player in every league he's played in, including the NHL. From what i hear he is also a good possession player (good for the bottoms lines).

So what exactly is he so terrible at? Obviously his defense must leave a lot to be desired but is it that bad where the offense he brings doesn't offset it? Even for his short stint with the Ducks he was able to put up 3 goals and 2 assists in the 9 games on the 3rd line with under 13 minutes a game.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Granted I haven't seen much of Pirri, but this kid has been a pretty good offensive player in every league he's played in, including the NHL. From what i hear he is also a good possession player (good for the bottoms lines).

So what exactly is he so terrible at? Obviously his defense must leave a lot to be desired but is it that bad where the offense he brings doesn't offset it? Even for his short stint with the Ducks he was able to put up 3 goals and 2 assists in the 9 games on the 3rd line with under 13 minutes a game.

His skating and his defense, mostly.

From what I've seen in his one year in NCAA, and then his NHL games that I'd catch, he pretty much is only reliable in the OZone.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why did we trade Brassard? If you understand why we did that deal, then you should understand why Zucc could be traded. I think it's less likely at this point, but still possible.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
McDonagh-Pirri

Nash-Miller-Buchnevich
Skjei-Stepan

Still no room for Vesey or Hayes on the PP units even if we use only 2 defensemen.

NYR have a lot of players who can score. Should make us very hard to play against and also able to continue to field a solid top 9 even when injuries arise.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Why did we trade Brassard? If you understand why we did that deal, then you should understand why Zucc could be traded. I think it's less likely at this point, but still possible.

The Brassard deal is why I think Zucc and Klein could be the most likely to get moved.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The return on brass was outstanding

If u get similar for zucc (a Dman) well it's a home run especially since we'd be dealing from position of strength on the wing

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Pirri is bad at hockey. He's a poor skater. He doesn't know what the defensive zone is. He is not a very good passer. Pirri is a bad hockey player with a fantastic shot. His shot is the only reason he's in the NHL. He gets it off fast, has very good accuracy, and deceptive speed.

So he's bad at playing the actual game, other than shooting the puck. He's an interesting player since one trick ponies tend to not exactly make it this far and stick around. It's why he's solid depth for our PP.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Pirri is bad at hockey. He's a poor skater. He doesn't know what the defensive zone is. He is not a very good passer. Pirri is a bad hockey player with a fantastic shot. His shot is the only reason he's in the NHL. He gets it off fast, has very good accuracy, and deceptive speed.

So he's bad at playing the actual game, other than shooting the puck. He's an interesting player since one trick ponies tend to not exactly make it this far and stick around. It's why he's solid depth for our PP.
I was thinking that as I was reading your post. Just set him up in the slot or the faceoff dots for the shot.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
On the other hand Pirri, according to chatter, tends to have good metrics despite being labeled a limited player. I don't really know either way, I haven't seen a lot of his play, but it sounds like a guy that if you can give him the softer minutes would be a good option as a shooter on a line even at even strength. Not all of his points are coming from the power play (3 goals and 10 points out of 14 goals and 29 points last year).

Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
McDonagh-Pirri

Nash-Miller-Buchnevich
Skjei-Stepan

Still no room for Vesey or Hayes on the PP units even if we use only 2 defensemen.

NYR have a lot of players who can score. Should make us very hard to play against and also able to continue to field a solid top 9 even when injuries arise.

Power play lines definitely have a way of changing if things aren't working so we'll certainly see Hayes and Vesey get their chances out there at times.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Not particularly. So far everything Gorton has done this offseason has been exceeding expectations. His hands were tied, and yet somehow he's made things happen.

Not sure what you consider dumpster diving, but the pickups the team has made are far from that. Unless you were rooting for the team to sign Stamkos, which wasn't realistic in any way, shape, or form.

The forwards are marginally better this year than last, it's not even an argument that could be made. The defense is worse, and I have been saying this since the offseason started, but if he can trade for a young Dman that will be on the team long term, the offseason was as good as it can be.

Girardi and Staal being moved this summer were pipe dreams and nothing more. Maybe next summer

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
On the other hand Pirri, according to chatter, tends to have good metrics despite being labeled a limited player. I don't really know either way, I haven't seen a lot of his play, but it sounds like a guy that if you can give him the softer minutes would be a good option as a shooter on a line even at even strength. Not all of his points are coming from the power play (3 goals and 10 points out of 14 goals and 29 points last year).

Had a look at his career Corsi and it is 50.18%...which is not bad.

His career on-ice GF60 is 2.2 and on-ice GA60 is 1.86. Not horrible.

On-Ice SCF60 is 6.78 and On-Ice SCA60 is 7.87. That's not so good and has not been a good predictor of his GA60 and GF60...as he is on-ice for more goals for than he is against.

Either he is very fortunate that the opposition does not capitalize more on their Scoring Chances...or Pirri's team has been netting goals when he is on the ice that are not considered scoring chances. This is probably a testament to his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad