Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He could very well be a forward version of MAB, and I don't mind that. I think he's getting underrated in this thread though. He has his flaws but put him in the right spot with the right players in the top-9 and he could be VERY valuable. Honestly, him next to Stepan-Nash, two players who could cover his defensive deficiencies and allow him space in the Ozone, could be a very good line.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not that I think Pirri is a 1st line winger or anything, but that he'd just mesh well with our best two forwards.

Looking at line-combinations, it just seems that way. Pirri needs players who can set him up. Stepan, Nash, Zuccarello... All have that passing instinct.

The 1st line is not always about putting the 3 best players together. We did that with Nash-Richards-Gaborik in 2013 and it did not work. I would look to what is needed. You need at least 1 guy who is solid defensively and 1 sniper. The 3rd can be either a playmaker or a power forward.

Kreider-Stepan-Pirri
Vesey-Zibanejad-Nash
Buchnevich-Hayes-Zuccarello
Miller-Lindberg-Zuccarello
Pirri-Zibanejad-Nash
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Nash-Stepan-Buchnevich

All options where you spread the talent

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In all fairness i don't expect pirri to be one either. I just hope after all this jerking around with FLA and the Ducks he works better on his 2 way game and turns into a complete player. One can hope

Him not getting a QO, when his base salary was less than 1m, was actually a huge red flag to me. But we will see how it goes. I guess this is our annual reclamation project at a reduced price.

2011-12: Johnny Malkin (650k)
2012-13: Pyatt (1.5m)
2013-14: Pouliot (1.3m)
2014-15: Lee Stempniak (900k)
2015-16: Viktor Stalberg (1.1m)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He could very well be a forward version of MAB, and I don't mind that. I think he's getting underrated in this thread though. He has his flaws but put him in the right spot with the right players in the top-9 and he could be VERY valuable. Honestly, him next to Stepan-Nash, two players who could cover his defensive deficiencies and allow him space in the Ozone, could be a very good line.

He's not getting underrated at all. He's awful at hockey but has an elite shot. He's a one trick pony with a very good trick.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Miller, Kreider, and Vesey are all exclusively Left Wings. No room for Pirri on the left. He would have to be on the right.

Miller Stepan Pirri
Kreider Zib Zuc
Vesey Hayes Nash

If you want even distribution. Or we keep Pirri as the 13th to fill in for when people need off-days or a cheap short term replacement if someone like Nash goes down.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Miller, Kreider, and Vesey are all exclusively Left Wings. No room for Pirri on the left. He would have to be on the right.

Miller Stepan Pirri
Kreider Zib Zuc
Vesey Hayes Nash

If you want even distribution. Or we keep Pirri as the 13th to fill in for when people need off-days or a cheap short term replacement if someone like Nash goes down.

Miller also plays RW, and can play Center in a pinch.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Miller Stepan Pirri
Kreider Zib Zuc
Vesey Hayes Nash

Huh? Since when did Miller exclusively play LW? He played RW for a good amount of time, if not most of the season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Looking at line-combinations, it just seems that way. Pirri needs players who can set him up. Stepan, Nash, Zuccarello... All have that passing instinct.

The 1st line is not always about putting the 3 best players together. We did that with Nash-Richards-Gaborik in 2013 and it did not work. I would look to what is needed. You need at least 1 guy who is solid defensively and 1 sniper. The 3rd can be either a playmaker or a power forward.

Kreider-Stepan-Pirri
Vesey-Zibanejad-Nash
Buchnevich-Hayes-Zuccarello
Miller-Lindberg-Zuccarello
Pirri-Zibanejad-Nash
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Nash-Stepan-Buchnevich

All options where you spread the talent

I love the first 2 lines

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Not particularly. So far everything Gorton has done this offseason has been exceeding expectations. His hands were tied, and yet somehow he's made things happen.

Not sure what you consider dumpster diving, but the pickups the team has made are far from that. Unless you were rooting for the team to sign Stamkos, which wasn't realistic in any way, shape, or form.

The forwards are marginally better this year than last, it's not even an argument that could be made. The defense is worse, and I have been saying this since the offseason started, but if he can trade for a young Dman that will be on the team long term, the offseason was as good as it can be.

Girardi and Staal being moved this summer were pipe dreams and nothing more. Maybe next summer

I'm not bagging on Gorton. I know his hands were tied because of his RFA's. And I also know that teams are a work in progress and just because the team may seem incomplete at the end of August, that doesn't mean other moves won't happen during the season...but all that said, I find it hard to give Gorton a summer grade that's much more than average.

The Vesey signing was the stand-out move, one he had to be proactive about and make happen, as opposed to Buchnevich, who I'm not going to give him much credit for.

Brassard for Zibs came out of nowhere - and I have to say I really like Zibs - but trading Brassard for him isn't some no-brainer. Brassard was our highest scorer on the powerplay and also one of the few Rangers who elevated his play in the playoffs.

The bottom six signings don't wow me. Grabner, Gerbe, etc... could just as easily been Vermetter and Hudler and we might have been better off. I mean if Gorton was going to improve the team then maybe he should have started by addressing some of our biggest needs and found a center who could win faceoffs (see Vermette) and try and find some offense from the blueline. The Rangers lost a lot of points when Yandle walked (not to mention Boyle's 10 goals).

In the end, I'm not bent out of shape that all holes haven't been filled. I'm just calling the job Gorton did average to slightly above average.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Vesey signing was the stand-out move, one he had to be proactive about and make happen, as opposed to Buchnevich, who I'm not going to give him much credit for.

Not even for drafting him? I heard people Gorton was responsible for the drafting prior to being promoted to GM

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm not bagging on Gorton. I know his hands were tied because of his RFA's. And I also know that teams are a work in progress and just because the team may seem incomplete at the end of August, that doesn't mean other moves won't happen during the season...but all that said, I find it hard to give Gorton a summer grade that's much more than average.

The bottom six signings don't wow me. Grabner, Gerbe, etc... could just as easily been Vermetter and Hudler and we might have been better off. I mean if Gorton was going to improve the team then maybe he should have started by addressing some of our biggest needs and found a center who could win faceoffs (see Vermette) and try and find some offense from the blueline. The Rangers lost a lot of points when Yandle walked (not to mention Boyle's 10 goals).

In the end, I'm not bent out of shape that all holes haven't been filled. I'm just calling the job Gorton did average to slightly above average.

Gerbe currently penciled as a #13 or Hartford. Grabner won't be spending much time off the 4th line. I don't think Hudler or Vermette would have signed on for that. Our third line (Vesey/Hayes/Buchnevich) might be one of the more exciting things to watch this season. Im glad it isn't a hodgepodge of vet signings. That feels too much like the late 90s teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad