Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Not even for drafting him? I heard people Gorton was responsible for the drafting prior to being promoted to GM

The discussion was limited to Gorton's performance this summer. The other poster made a comment that every move Gorton made was masterful and that seemed a bit overboard.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The discussion was limited to Gorton's performance this summer. The other poster made a comment that every move Gorton made was masterful and that seemed a bit overboard.

Sure, signing Buchnevich might be easy since we owned his rights, but it's still a good thing he did. It was definitely not out of the question he would have stayed in Russia if we did not offer him a deal

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Sure, signing Buchnevich might be easy since we owned his rights, but it's still a good thing he did. It was definitely not out of the question he would have stayed in Russia if we did not offer him a deal

If the Rangers didn't offer him a contract, presumably he'd have no choice but to stay in the KHL?

He made it very clear last year that he didn't want to go to the AHL, so he must be expecting to make the Rangers. But would he leave if the Rangers sent him down for a month or two? Probably not.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers 4th line was bad last year as was the PKing (bad enough it actively lost them games). With the AV plays his lines, having a good 4th line is fairly important to the overall success of the team.

It's not a bunch of big glitzy moves and yes the defense is still a huge glaring problem (which I think Gorton IS trying to work on...just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean he hasn't been trying. I'm not sure why people always jump to that conclusion) but he was quick to address some of the important flaws in the lineup by acquiring some solid players for that position that bring some speed back to the lineup as well. The Brassard trade was also a good one for the future.

I think calling his offseason so far "masterful" or something is a bit much but he's done some solid work and is saying the right things (getting younger, faster, etc) and I'm sure if he had a good trade to dump a high priced defenseman and pick up a young puck moving guy, he'd do it

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Rangers 4th line was bad last year as was the PKing (bad enough it actively lost them games). With the AV plays his lines, having a good 4th line is fairly important to the overall success of the team.

It's not a bunch of big glitzy moves and yes the defense is still a huge glaring problem (which I think Gorton IS trying to work on...just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean he hasn't been trying. I'm not sure why people always jump to that conclusion) but he was quick to address some of the important flaws in the lineup by acquiring some solid players for that position that bring some speed back to the lineup as well. The Brassard trade was also a good one for the future.

I think calling his offseason so far "masterful" or something is a bit much but he's done some solid work and is saying the right things (getting younger, faster, etc) and I'm sure if he had a good trade to dump a high priced defenseman and pick up a young puck moving guy, he'd do it

If he knew all along that Vesey was coming and he can pull off a trade for a top pairing defenseman that doesnt kill them up front, then yes it will be a masterful one.

But no one knew where Vesey was going (so a bit of luck for the Rangers there) and he made some smart moves to address the areas the Rangers needed to address (at least upfront). The Brassard trade was a bold one and it allowed the team some flexibility cap-wise that was needed, while getting younger for the future. That was the key moment of the offseason for me.

So I'd call it a skillful job done by Gorton. He's really done his job as a general manager to the best of his ability without over-managing or complicating matters for the future.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Well you have to give him and the organization credit for enticing Vesey to sign, and I'm not sure why it would be more "masterful" if he instead just knew Vesey would sign.

He helped put together the most attractive offer for Vesey and it worked. To me that's more impressive than "oh yeah I heard Vesey just wants to come here don't worry about it"

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I can't say I'm mad at Gorton. I think his offseason has been pretty good and Pirri at 1.1 mill is a no-brainer for a team that needs a shooter on the power play and he can help in the shootout as well, both areas where the Rangers have lacked in the past few years. He also improved the overall team speed when he saw it was lacking after Hagelin left.

As for the team's defense, Elliott Friedman was on NHL Network the other night when the Pirri signing was announced and said that he believes Gorton is up to something in terms of a trade, most likely to address the defense. Wouldn't be shocked to see something done by training camp.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
As for the team's defense, Elliott Friedman was on NHL Network the other night when the Pirri signing was announced and said that he believes Gorton is up to something in terms of a trade, most likely to address the defense. Wouldn't be shocked to see something done by training camp.

Wow, can't help but respect Friedman's genius and knowledge there, being so bold and daring as to recognize we have two teams worth of forwards, a crappy defense, and that it hints at Gorton exploring a further trade that bolsters the defense... Just admire his avant garde thinking there...

...oh ...wait

...everyone and their mother has been saying that. My bad...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad