Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Also don't forget pirri can play the point on the pp he's a good puck carrier thru the neutral zone on the pp and is a shoot first guy. Big reason he's here IMO is to play the point on pp. they've wanted him for a while wonder if it was just a matter of the cost coming down

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think this is a hell of a value signing.

Pirri has flaws in his game, but his production despite those flaws is noteworthy and I think there's decent room to grow and fill out other areas of his game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think this is a hell of a value signing.

Pirri has flaws in his game, but his production despite those flaws is noteworthy and I think there's decent room to grow and fill out other areas of his game.

Rangers have been real big on value signings this offseason. Makes me wonder if it's just coincidence or with Gorton really taking over, they're shifting to look more at advanced analytics when evaluating players

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers have been real big on value signings this offseason. Makes me wonder if it's just coincidence or with Gorton really taking over, they're shifting to look more at advanced analytics when evaluating players

Only way to find out is to have one of our beat writers ask him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it really making decisions based on analytics to buy low on Pirri? You can look at his wikipedia page, and know that he's a pretty good goal scorer at the NHL level, thus he could be a good player to add to a team that needs goal scorers.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
BTW, I don't consider this player a 20 goal scorer quite yet. That 14-15 line of 22-2 in 49 is so bizarre, I think the data just needs to be thrown out.

That being said, the other two seasons he's scored 20 per 82. I just have concerns about a player who, at age 25, has yet to play more than 61 games in a season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
BTW, I don't consider this player a 20 goal scorer quite yet. That 14-15 line of 22-2 in 49 is so bizarre, I think the data just needs to be thrown out.

That being said, the other two seasons he's scored 20 per 82. I just have concerns about a player who, at age 25, has yet to play more than 61 games in a season.

yeah...he seems like a specialty player of sorts...kinda like a marc andre bergeron...someone who can score on the PP and thats it?

its kinda interesting that he's been a plus player in just about every season hes played in...

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
gotta be a trade coming. we have 5 full lines. i don't even know what position he's gonna play. he's listed as a C, takes faceoffs but his FO% isn't very good. One of our core youngsters has got to be leaving. crossing fingers Girardi/Staal make the package too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's a solid possession player though. He'll score his goals in spots but otherwise he can go out there and not hurt the team.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Not a bad signing. Pirri's one-timer was his greatest attribute in that 22 goal season he had in 14/15. Still an unproven player though.

And knock it off with the Zucc BS. He goes nowhere. :madfire::madfire::madfire:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not a bad signing. Pirri's one-timer was his greatest attribute in that 22 goal season he had in 14/15. Still an unproven player though.

JG already has offers lined up. Just waiting for the best deal available before Jeff Godton pulls the trigger

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Rangers have an exciting forward group, especially if Stepan and Nash have good seasons.

I would be happy to see the depth being used to trade someone for a D. Keep Zucarello and try to package guys like Fast and Lindberg.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Rangers have an exciting forward group, especially if Stepan and Nash have good seasons.

I would be happy to see the depth being used to trade someone for a D. Keep Zucarello and try to package guys like Fast and Lindberg.

I don't think gets you much. If you want to upgrade the D, one of Nash or Zuccarello would have to go the other way.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Fast and Lindberg wouldn't get you Ken Gernander in his AHL prime

Wouldn't be too sure about that, I wouldn't be surprised if Lindberg had some good value around the league all things considered. If there wasn't a log jam at C he would absolutely be a 3L center. Still young. Good defensively. I could see him packaged with other pieces that could land you a defenseman of a Klein caliber (PMD version of course) maybe Lindberg is traded for Fowler?

Metranger

May 22, 2015

I pray you're right.

I'd be crestfallen if Zucc got traded.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I pray you're right.

I'd be crestfallen if Zucc got traded.

why?

what if its Zucc for like Lindholm?

You can't tell me you'd be crestfallen if that was the trade...

its all about the return.

id be pissed if Zucc was traded for a bag of pucks...but if you can improve the d....dramatically...you do it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldn't be too sure about that, I wouldn't be surprised if Lindberg had some good value around the league all things considered. If there wasn't a log jam at C he would absolutely be a 3L center. Still young. Good defensively. I could see him packaged with other pieces that could land you a defenseman of a Klein caliber (PMD version of course) maybe Lindberg is traded for Fowler?

I feel like Lindberg would be the type of player that advanced scouts would completely pick apart, and tell their GM not to buy into the point totals from last season.

Most of his points were really early in the season when teams had no clue who he is, and paid no attention to them. Some of those points were also lucky points that a player gets when they are having good luck offensively. Later in the season, he struggled offensively. Defensively, he was under 50% on FO's, and he didn't PK. It's hard to profile as a 4th line center without PK'ing or being good on FO's, and its hard to profile as a 3C without projecting for 35+ points over an 82 game season. Lindberg's numbers from his rookie season indicate he could be a 35+ player, but if you analyze his season closely, there were points later in the season where it's hard to say he was any better than a 13F.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
why?

what if its Zucc for like Lindholm?

You can't tell me you'd be crestfallen if that was the trade...

its all about the return.

id be pissed if Zucc was traded for a bag of pucks...but if you can improve the d....dramatically...you do it.

You speak sense.

But the pickup would have to blow our collective minds.

And if it was Zucc and Girardi/Staal traded together, I guess it would be easier to bear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad