Brandon Pirri

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He is not worth that money though, period. The sample size is far too small, and his current pace is just unsustainable. You are offering him $6 million because he has 17 goals in his last 22 games, that is all. His S% at the moment is 25%, which in no way is sustainable over the course of 82 games. The potential is there for him to be a 25-30 goal scorer for us, but it is still potential IMO. Im not making that same mistake like we did in the past, giving away contracts based on potential. Let him show this consistency over the course of next season, and see if he can rid himself of that injury bug, and then you go to him a long term deal, which for me, would be around $22 million for 5 years.

We are going to need another goal scorer though, to take the pressure off of Pirri. His goal to assist ratio is historically bad, and if teams begin to focus on him more, what else can we expect from him if he isnt scoring goals? He has two assists this season, TWO! You mention guys like Hall and Eberle, well both are better players than Pirri ATM, because they better all around players. Pirri doesnt deserve the money those guys are getting paid at the moment.

It's actually a little over 15 percent. Not entirely unsustainable. I'd expect a very slight drop.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He is not worth that money though, period. The sample size is far too small, and his current pace is just unsustainable. You are offering him $6 million because he has 17 goals in his last 22 games, that is all. His S% at the moment is 25%, which in no way is sustainable over the course of 82 games. The potential is there for him to be a 25-30 goal scorer for us, but it is still potential IMO. Im not making that same mistake like we did in the past, giving away contracts based on potential. Let him show this consistency over the course of next season, and see if he can rid himself of that injury bug, and then you go to him a long term deal, which for me, would be around $22 million for 5 years.

We are going to need another goal scorer though, to take the pressure off of Pirri. His goal to assist ratio is historically bad, and if teams begin to focus on him more, what else can we expect from him if he isnt scoring goals? He has two assists this season, TWO! You mention guys like Hall and Eberle, well both are better players than Pirri ATM, because they better all around players. Pirri doesnt deserve the money those guys are getting paid at the moment.

Those assists are an anomaly. I believe he was more of an assist guy in the AHL. Last season for the Panthers he had 7 assists, and 7 goals. I believe his current goal scoring pace is obviously unsustainable, but I believe his assists will balance out overall.

Maybe if he stays healthy we could see a 45 to 50 point season next year.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Those assists are an anomaly. I believe he was more of an assist guy in the AHL. Last season for the Panthers he had 7 assists, and 7 goals. I believe his current goal scoring pace is obviously unsustainable, but I believe his assists will balance out overall.

Maybe if he stays healthy we could see a 45 to 50 point season next year.

I do too, but when he was being compared to guys like Eberle or Hall, at least salary wise, the comparisons were simply not there, which is why I brought up his assists this year.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
During the streak I mean. 1 goal for every 4 shots during the streak. That is not sustainable, which is what was I was referring to.

I realized that later after reading one of your posts on the trade board. This one made it seem like you meant it as a season long fact.

Even so, no one expects a 63 goal pace to continue. But his 40 goal pace over the whole season with a 15 percent shooting percentage is promising.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
right now he's our go to go and he's very hot. i don't expect this for a whole season. if he scores 25 goals in a full season i'm happy! hope he stays hot down the strectch and hopefully into the playoffs, but this is fun and unsutainable.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
That is where I was getting at. If he shows he can continue to score next season, and shows improvement overall, then Id go at around $4-4.5 million per. Even that is a bit high ATM though.
And this from a guy who wants to pay Phil Kessel $8M for the next 7 years. Your credibility just went out the window with me.

The paradigm of paying players a ridiculous contract well into the downside of their career is nonsense. No team should owe these guys that kind of money for such a long period based on what they have done in the past. Statistically, it is shown most guys drop off after age 28 or 29. Yes, there are exceptions but many of those guys are playing with tremendous talent throughout the lineup. Bringing Kessel's contract here just reeks of absolute lunacy.

Also, Hall was a 40 to 50 pt scorer when he got his contract extension for $6M. That young talented group all benefited offensively from playing with one another in lieu of the fact they and the team have problems defensively.

I'd take a Pirri contract for $5 or $6M longterm any day over Kessel.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
And this from a guy who wants to pay Phil Kessel $8M for the next 7 years. Your credibility just went out the window with me.

The paradigm of paying players a ridiculous contract well into the downside of their career is nonsense. No team should owe these guys that kind of money for such a long period based on what they have done in the past. Statistically, it is shown most guys drop off after age 28 or 29. Yes, there are exceptions but many of those guys are playing with tremendous talent throughout the lineup. Bringing Kessel's contract here just reeks of absolute lunacy.

Also, Hall was a 40 to 50 pt scorer when he got his contract extension for $6M. That young talented group all benefited offensively from playing with one another in lieu of the fact they and the team have problems defensively.

So honest question for you.

Toronto calls, offers you Kessel for Pirri straight up. one to one. contract for contract.

Would you do it?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think my previous post answered your question.

Ok so you would pay 6 million for a guy who has contributed to 22 goals in one year, who did not play a full year either, who has shown he is injury prone (beyond the concussion, he tried to hit Getzlaf and exploded)...

over a guy who has twice now, contributed to 80 goals for a team? It's your opinion and that's fine but payin a kid 6 million because he has contributed 22 goals for a team is crazy.

And even if you say that the assists is an aberration, so is his ridiculous shot percentage and shot count. He will get a little more assists for sure, but so will his goal pace.

This is like saying you will take Dubnyk over one of the proven high tier goalies in this league

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Ok so you would pay 6 million for a guy who has contributed to 22 goals in one year, who did not play a full year either, who has shown he is injury prone (beyond the concussion, he tried to hit Getzlaf and exploded)...

over a guy who has twice now, contributed to 80 goals for a team? It's your opinion and that's fine but payin a kid 6 million because he has contributed 22 goals for a team is crazy.

And even if you say that the assists is an aberration, so is his ridiculous shot percentage and shot count. He will get a little more assists for sure, but so will his goal pace.

This is like saying you will take Dubnyk over one of the proven high tier goalies in this league
He exploded? :laugh: By the way he is no longer a kid as he will be 24 in a few weeks.

You like Kessel over Pirri, fine. I now have you in the PB1300 club. Everything about Kessel spells poor ROI in my opinion. You Kessel lobbyists are so desperate for a goal scorer that you would handicap this teams future cap space for a guy whose one positive is outweighed by a multitude of negatives. That being said, Tallon would pull the trigger in a millisecond on a trade for him if Viola doesn't step in to stop him. I can only pray that he has the good sense to do it.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He exploded? :laugh: By the way he is no longer a kid as he will be 24 in a few weeks.

You like Kessel over Pirri, fine. I now have you in the PB1300 club. Everything about Kessel spells poor ROI in my opinion. You Kessel lobbyists are so desperate for a goal scorer that you would handicap this teams future cap space for a guy whose one positive is outweighed by a multitude of negatives. That being said, Tallon would pull the trigger in a millisecond on a trade for him if Viola doesn't step in to stop him. I can only pray that he has the good sense to do it.

I like Kessel? I like established over potential or small samples in most cases.

I'd actually rather get Justin Williams and Sharp or Vermette over Kessel this summer.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I like Kessel? I like established over potential or small samples in most cases.

I'd actually rather get Justin Williams and Sharp or Vermette over Kessel this summer.
Sharp is a large cap hit for a couple of more years and would cost you one of our prospects and a draft pick. He's good, but that's too expensive for me. The other two guys are fine if you can get them for what they are making this year........fat chance in UFA.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Sharp is a large cap hit for a couple of more years and would cost you one of our prospects and a draft pick. He's good, but that's too expensive for me. The other two guys are fine if you can get them for what they are making this year........fat chance in UFA.

Chicago is in cap hell. they aren't going to dictate what they get in return .

whoever gets Sharp would have made the best low offer

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

MrHendrixAreYouExperienced....jpg

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Kessel has missed a total of 0 (ZERO) games in the last five seasons, while being one of the premier sniping RWers in the game, averaging over 30 goals a season. But since he is playing in that circus in Toronto, has scored only 24 goals this year, and is ONLY 27 years old, he is well into the downside of his career? Sorry bud, but "Your credibility just went out the window with me!"

Hall had a 42 and 53 point season before signing his extension. Eberle had a 43pt, 76pt, and 37 in the 48 game season before signing his extension. Pirri has 22 points, and you want to give him a multi-year deal for how much? And you dont think that is "absolute lunacy?"

And you'd be the only one to do so.

Do you really know what goes on outside of Panther land? Chicago is not going to get a lot back for Sharp, because they cant take on much salary. They will get a package of picks and 2nd tier prospects. Nobody is going to give up top end prospects for Sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad