Brandon Pirri

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
YbsgieK.png

When you take out the stretch where Pirri didn't register a point after he returned from his concussion; he has had a pretty good campaign.

19 games = 13 goals, 2 assists, 15 points

Post concussion 13 games = nothing

**** you, Yandle.

Mar. 15 we play in NYR against Yandle and his new team.

We should be like DAL and have someone go after Yandle, even though he is with a new team.
That was a cheap elbow he threw on Pirri and should of been suspended. Need to stick up for one another and defend teammates. :fight:
As long as we don't get anyone suspended or stupid penalties. :pb:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Mar. 15 we play in NYR against Yandle and his new team.

We should be like DAL and have someone go after Yandle, even though he is with a new team.
That was a cheap elbow he threw on Pirri and should of been suspended. Need to stick up for one another and defend teammates. :fight:
As long as we don't get anyone suspended or stupid penalties. :pb:

I'm over the hit, and I think they should be too. In a playoff race there are much more important things to worry about than revenge.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm over the hit, and I think they should be too. In a playoff race there are much more important things to worry about than revenge.

Agreed. It's over with and Pirri came back into possibly even better form then what we saw earlier in the season. If this guy can stay healthy next season, I'm really interested to see how many goals he scores. Possibly even more than 30 if he has a good amount of hot streaks.

This goes down as one of the better trades that Tallon has made during his time so far here IMO.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I wanna see Pirri play with Barkov and Jagr...... just cause I'm tired of Hubey passing the pack when he has a shooting opportunity

Kobe Pirri doesn't believe in apples then put Jokinen with trocheck and Hayes to add some defense to that line. Good Lord what a horrific defensive line imo.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
the problem is that if they dont fight yandle and make him answer the bell, we say its ok to do whatever you want

LandofLincoln*

Pirri seems to be a lock. Should the Panthers put a 4 or 5 year deal on the table?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He signed through next season if I'm not mistaken.
It's long been known the guy has the hands, the shot, and quick release to be a big time NHL scorer. The only thing stopping him was opportunity and developing a shoot first attitude, which is tough to do from the center position. I'm not in favor of moving him to the Barkov line in lieu of Huberdeau as both of the those guys need to learn to shoot the puck rather than pass. He has very good chemistry with Trocheck and I'd love to see Nick moved to the wing and added to that line. Nick just is not a distributor of the puck.

Lindsey said to give him another year before making a commitment to see if he can duplicate the effort. I think that would be a mistake as the guy could get an offer sheet from somebody or take it personally ala O'Reilly or Johansen. Get him signed to a long term extension in the $5 to $6M range as soon as the season is over.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It's long been known the guy has the hands, the shot, and quick release to be a big time NHL scorer. The only thing stopping him was opportunity and developing a shoot first attitude, which is tough to do from the center position. I'm not in favor of moving him to the Barkov line in lieu of Huberdeau as both of the those guys need to learn to shoot the puck rather than pass. He has very good chemistry with Trocheck and I'd love to see Nick moved to the wing and added to that line. Nick just is not a distributor of the puck.

Lindsey said to give him another year before making a commitment to see if he can duplicate the effort. I think that would be a mistake as the guy could get an offer sheet from somebody or take it personally ala O'Reilly or Johansen. Get him signed to a long term extension in the $5 to $6M range as soon as the season is over.

$5-6 million range??? No way!!! You don't give out that type of contract right now, the sample size is far too small. His S% is ridiculously high right now, and his current goal production is simple unsustainable. I do think he has the potential to hit 30 goals a season, but I need to see more next season, before doing something long term.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
$5-6 million range??? No way!!! You don't give out that type of contract right now, the sample size is far too small. His S% is ridiculously high right now, and his current goal production is simple unsustainable. I do think he has the potential to hit 30 goals a season, but I need to see more next season, before doing something long term.
Yeah, in reality that ain't gonna happen. Protocol is to at least wait until the All-Star break to see what he's doing and then offer him a bridge or a long term contract. The red flag here is that he will be 24 in a few weeks and his window to make the big dollars is smaller because of his age. If he continues to put up the numbers and his shooting percentage remains high (which I think it will), then he would be dumb not to demand a bridge contract in the $5 to $6M range and then proceed to UFA for the big dollars. If he is a 30+ scorer next year and the following two years, I think you are looking at paying him $8M +.

My thoughts were to get him long term in the $5 to $6M area. Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins were all signed in that range after 2 years of NHL experience. The difference is they were all extremely young guys at the time.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yeah, in reality that ain't gonna happen. Protocol is to at least wait until the All-Star break to see what he's doing and then offer him a bridge or a long term contract. The red flag here is that he will be 24 in a few weeks and his window to make the big dollars is smaller because of his age. If he continues to put up the numbers and his shooting percentage remains high (which I think it will), then he would be dumb not to demand a bridge contract in the $5 to $6M range and then proceed to UFA for the big dollars. If he is a 30+ scorer next year and the following two years, I think you are looking at paying him $8M +.

My thoughts were to get him long term in the $5 to $6M area. Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins were all signed in that range after 2 years of NHL experience. The difference is they were all extremely young guys at the time.

He is not worth that money though, period. The sample size is far too small, and his current pace is just unsustainable. You are offering him $6 million because he has 17 goals in his last 22 games, that is all. His S% at the moment is 25%, which in no way is sustainable over the course of 82 games. The potential is there for him to be a 25-30 goal scorer for us, but it is still potential IMO. Im not making that same mistake like we did in the past, giving away contracts based on potential. Let him show this consistency over the course of next season, and see if he can rid himself of that injury bug, and then you go to him a long term deal, which for me, would be around $22 million for 5 years.

We are going to need another goal scorer though, to take the pressure off of Pirri. His goal to assist ratio is historically bad, and if teams begin to focus on him more, what else can we expect from him if he isnt scoring goals? He has two assists this season, TWO! You mention guys like Hall and Eberle, well both are better players than Pirri ATM, because they better all around players. Pirri doesnt deserve the money those guys are getting paid at the moment.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He is not worth that money though, period. The sample size is far too small, and his current pace is just unsustainable. You are offering him $6 million because he has 17 goals in his last 22 games, that is all. His S% at the moment is 25%, which in no way is sustainable over the course of 82 games. The potential is there for him to be a 25-30 goal scorer for us, but it is still potential IMO. Im not making that same mistake like we did in the past, giving away contracts based on potential. Let him show this consistency over the course of next season, and see if he can rid himself of that injury bug, and then you go to him a long term deal, which for me, would be around $22 million for 5 years.
Well that shooting percentage of course will not be sustainable, but I think he can shoot in the 11-14% range. His injury history should not include the cheap shot by Yandle, so I think you have to give him the benefit on his past history through the course of time.

No way to predict who will be right, but I will make a note to discuss it with you around the All-Star break next year.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If he's signed through next year, why even bother with a contract? If he can carry this over into next season and prove he can be a 25+ goal scorer, then you can talk long term contract. There's no way you can commit to a guy at that type of $ and term due to a 40 game window.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If he's signed through next year, why even bother with a contract? If he can carry this over into next season and prove he can be a 25+ goal scorer, then you can talk long term contract. There's no way you can commit to a guy at that type of $ and term due to a 40 game window.

Agreed. I don't even think he wants to sign a contract right now.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Well that shooting percentage of course will not be sustainable, but I think he can shoot in the 11-14% range. His injury history should not include the cheap shot by Yandle, so I think you have to give him the benefit on his past history through the course of time.

No way to predict who will be right, but I will make a note to discuss it with you around the All-Star break next year.

Why ignore the concussion; those are the types of injuries that can recur easily and ruin careers, you simply can't ignore that when discussing a contract for Pirri.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

5-6 mil for a guy with a career high of 25 points? :laugh:

I love Pirri, and love his upside, but he has alot to prove yet. to be even talking about that kind of money is beyond laughable.

He might earn it one day, but definitely not right now. 20 goals and 2 assists doesn't get you 5-6 mil

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

I love Pirri, and love his upside, but he has alot to prove yet. to be even talking about that kind of money is beyond laughable.

He might earn it one day, but definitely not right now. 20 goals and 2 assists doesn't get you 5-6 mil
I'm going to have to agree with this too, as everyone should. At this point Nicky is the bar as far as I'm concerned. Unless you're doing better than.him, don't expect to make anything over 4mil per year.

No explanation for Bolland. I like him, a lot actually, but not at 5.5 LMAO

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I hope he remains selfish in the way of shooting whenever he has the puck. The kid loves to score and he can clearly get on a roll. As others have stated, he is signed until next year so let's see what he brings in a full 82 game season.

Defiitely a good feeling to have two 20 goal guys on the club. Tallon's best trade so far in my opinion for what it cost.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

That is where I was getting at. If he shows he can continue to score next season, and shows improvement overall, then Id go at around $4-4.5 million per. Even that is a bit high ATM though.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why ignore the concussion; those are the types of injuries that can recur easily and ruin careers, you simply can't ignore that when discussing a contract for Pirri.
Sadly most concussion issues are ignored when signing a player from UFA or a trade. Look no further than Nathan Horton and his big contract in Columbus. Back issues eventually derailed his career, and the Blues Jackets received minor compensation with the Toronto trade. Barring cap issues, do you think any team would have a problem signing Crosby, Malkin, Nash, or Tarasenko? They have all had concussion issues, and it's just a fact of life that teams are willing to pay these guys even with the caveat they could be forced to retire if the issue becomes chronic and lifestyle threatening.

What is more telling to me and raises red flags is the durability issue. Guys like Bolland and Upshall both have had chronic health issues most of their careers and yet GM's like Tallon are so desperate to field a winning team that they are willing to overpay to get these guys on their team. Pirri has not been a guy who has had durability issues in his career and barring any further cheap shots, I don't think the concussion is something that will even remotely come into play when talking about his future contract.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

I recanted that protocol would not allow that to ever happen, even though as GM.....I would pull the trigger now if it were for 6 or 7 years.

If he has 20-25 goals by the all-star break next year, do you offer him an extension? If so, how much and for what length? If he asks for $5 to $6M for a bridge, do you give it to him, knowing full well he is going to UFA in 2 years? What kind of dollars could he get if he elects arbitration on an annual basis until UFA? Remember, this can get real personal as many players and agents are not as amiable to deal with Bjugstad. All you have to do is look at what is paid in UFA to guys that have no where near the shot that Pirri has and are in the downside of their careers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad