Brandon Pirri

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I realized that later after reading one of your posts on the trade board. This one made it seem like you meant it as a season long fact.

Even so, no one expects a 63 goal pace to continue. But his 40 goal pace over the whole season with a 15 percent shooting percentage is promising.

Of course not, which is why you dont jump the gun and give him a long term deal because he is on heater at the moment. It bugs me that Potvin sits there and says, "Well, maybe its not a hot streak, maybe this is just Brandon Pirri." I seriously doubt that, because of his absurd shooting % ATM. I think I read somewhere that the difference between a 15% shooting percentage and 13% was either 39-33 or 36-33 goals. Honestly, anything around 30 would be absolutely fine with me. Above 30 would be an added bonus.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Kessel has missed a total of 0 (ZERO) games in the last five seasons, while being one of the premier sniping RWers in the game, averaging over 30 goals a season. But since he is playing in that circus in Toronto, has scored only 24 goals this year, and is ONLY 27 years old, he is well into the downside of his career? Sorry bud, but "Your credibility just went out the window with me!"
Zero Games, wow! Just think with all those goals came a minus 75.....impressive. I didn't know you just went out the window.

Hall had a 42 and 53 point season before signing his extension. Eberle had a 43pt, 76pt, and 37 in the 48 game season before signing his extension. Pirri has 22 points, and you want to give him a multi-year deal for how much? And you dont think that is "absolute lunacy?"
No, I just think I have a better eye for talent than you.

And you'd be the only one to do so.
The herd mentality.:shakehead

Do you really know what goes on outside of Panther land? Chicago is not going to get a lot back for Sharp, because they cant take on much salary. They will get a package of picks and 2nd tier prospects. Nobody is going to give up top end prospects for Sharp.
Yes, I try to get out of house for a bowl of soup. I don't recall saying anything about top end prospects, do you? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bure1022*

Remember Matthias??? This is another one if those. He will never do this again, one hit wonder. The guy is no playmaker. Yes good shot but this is his peak. Let's not get excited. Matthias 2.0. Just my opinion.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Zero Games, wow! Just think with all those goals came a minus 75.....impressive. I didn't know you just went out the window.

No, I just think I have a better eye for talent than you.

The herd mentality.:shakehead

Yes, I try to get out of house for a bowl of soup. I don't recall saying anything about top end prospects, do you? [mod]

You have the audacity to question credibility and judgment of talent, when you want to give $6 million a year to a player with a total of 97 games :shakehead "You have better eye for talent," .....so since that, Pirri is worth what Eberle and Hall are worth? :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You have the audacity to question credibility and judgment of talent, when you want to give $6 million a year to a player with a total of 97 games :shakehead "You have better eye for talent," .....so since that, Pirri is worth what Eberle and Hall are worth? :laugh:

Now, now, I said between $5 to $6M. Also your previous comment about a historically bad goal to assist ratio is more embellishment. I believe this is the first year where the goals have outnumbered the assists. The guy can distribute the puck but the team has asked him to shoot because he has a great shot.

I have acquiesced on a few of your remarks because the league paradigm for paying ridiculous contracts to players well past their prime based on statistical history is never going to change. You and the majority of the herd are all very happy with this by your willingness to trade for that bloated contract of Kessel till he is 35.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
As for Pirri contract. He's scoring but at a unsustainable pace

Did we not learn anything from Olesz contract? I know there not the same player or even had even close same production. But to give a long term contract on potential is stupid

Wander

May 12, 2014
I'm all for resigning Pirri, but I'm not really that interested in the salary talk. Realistically speaking $4M a year is probably more reasonable and likely than $5M-$6M. But we will see. We probably won't know until next year what's going to happen with him anyway.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Now, now, I said between $5 to $6M. Also your previous comment about a historically bad goal to assist ratio is more embellishment. I believe this is the first year where the goals have outnumbered the assists. The guy can distribute the puck but the team has asked him to shoot because he has a great shot.

I have acquiesced on a few of your remarks because the league paradigm for paying ridiculous contracts to players well past their prime based on statistical history is never going to change. You and the majority of the herd are all very happy with this by your willingness to trade for that bloated contract of Kessel till he is 35.

So what you are saying is Kessel is "well past his prime" now? You cant really believe that, right? A 27 year old who hasnt missed a game in five seasons, who just had a 37 goal season last year, and who is still going to be a near 60 point player this year is past his prime? Man, that is crazy. He is nowhere near the decline of his career, and you can tell that most players on that Leafs team have mailed it in. Its highly unlikely that Kessel as a Panther next year doesnt hit 30+ goals. And there are plenty of players well into their late 20s, up until their mid 30s, who are still huge contributors to their teams, but Kessel at 27 is already well past his prime. WOW.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So what you are saying is Kessel is "well past his prime" now? You cant really believe that, right? A 27 year old who hasnt missed a game in five seasons, who just had a 37 goal season last year, and who is still going to be a near 60 point player this year is past his prime? Man, that is crazy. He is nowhere near the decline of his career, and you can tell that most players on that Leafs team have mailed it in. Its highly unlikely that Kessel as a Panther next year doesnt hit 30+ goals. And there are plenty of players well into their late 20s, up until their mid 30s, who are still huge contributors to their teams, but Kessel at 27 is already well past his prime. WOW.
Did I say Kessel is well past his prime now? I said the contract will take him to age 35, which is well past his prime. Do we really want to pay for 7 years @$8M a pop for a guy who will probably never produce anywhere close to what he is being paid?

Give me Pirri any day between $5 to $6M.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Did I say Kessel is well past his prime now? I said the contract will take him to age 35, which is well past his prime. Do we really want to pay for 7 years @$8M a pop for a guy who will probably never produce anywhere close to what he is being paid?

Give me Pirri any day between $5 to $6M.

Whats funny is that you know that Kessel will not do much when he reaches the end of his deal, but after a unsustainable hot streak by Pirri, you want to give him that much money? How do you know Pirri will continue to improve? How do you know Kessel will decline anytime soon? Based on what? He has produced every year, and this year is hardly a decline. We have been bitten in the butt in the past giving out contracts based on potential, and giving Pirri a long term deal right now, for that much money, would be making that same mistake. Sure, Kessel might not be as good when he nears the end of his deal, but given his health, its more certain that he will still be a serviceable player. Given his health, you probably can get another handful of seasons at 25-35 goals, 60+ points from Kessel, which are numbers that you can only hope Pirri achieves right now.

And before anyone wants to question Kessel's health, he had to deal with cancer, which takes a toll on a body. He has passed all of the Leafs physical tests, and was the most fit heading into this season. The guy might look out of shape, but he certainly isnt.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
As for Pirri contract. He's scoring but at a unsustainable pace

Did we not learn anything from Olesz contract? I know there not the same player or even had even close same production. But to give a long term contract on potential is stupid
Look, I get it. Yes, he's scoring at an unsustainable pace but that shouldn't detract from the fact the guy is a special player with a shot that 99% of the players around the league would kill for.

You can't even bring Olesz into this conversation because it was different ownership and different management, plus the guy never came close to having a run like Pirri. I have a question for you and PB1300. Just what is the magic number of games when we stop using the word potential and start using the word talent? PB1300 has pointed out that he has 97 NHL games under his belt and would be interested in giving him a contract in the $4.5 area after he proves himself with another year in the NHL by scoring close to 30 or more goals. I say that is bunk and that it doesn't take another 82 games. The guy is the real deal who has transitioned from a distributing center to a coveted sniper wing without missing a beat in less than a season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Whats funny is that you know that Kessel will not do much when he reaches the end of his deal, but after a unsustainable hot streak by Pirri, you want to give him that much money? How do you know Pirri will continue to improve? How do you know Kessel will decline anytime soon? Based on what? He has produced every year, and this year is hardly a decline. We have been bitten in the butt in the past giving out contracts based on potential, and giving Pirri a long term deal right now, for that much money, would be making that same mistake. Sure, Kessel might not be as good when he nears the end of his deal, but given his health, its more certain that he will still be a serviceable player. Given his health, you probably can get another handful of seasons at 25-35 goals, 60+ points from Kessel, which are numbers that you can only hope Pirri achieves right now.

And before anyone wants to question Kessel's health, he had to deal with cancer, which takes a toll on a body. He has passed all of the Leafs physical tests, and was the most fit heading into this season. The guy might look out of shape, but he certainly isnt.
Okay, okay. I hope you and Tallon get your wish and Kessel comes here and tears it up for 7 years. I will gladly bow to you and all your followers when the Cup is paraded around the arena with Kessel leading the pack.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Why can't we have both Pirri AND Kessel and they can chase each other in a goal race all year long? Kessel is a bigger gamble on the $ and contract in his later years where Pirri would be a bigger gamble on giving him the $ and the contract at such a young age (97 NHL games).

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Why can't we have both Pirri AND Kessel and they can chase each other in a goal race all year long? Kessel is a bigger gamble on the $ and contract in his later years where Pirri would be a bigger gamble on giving him the $ and the contract at such a young age (97 NHL games).

That is what I want. Its about adding scoring to this team, which we obviously need. Players like Kessel do not become available all that often, and given everything that is going on (cap situation, Toronto circus, etc.), he can really be had for pennies on the dollar this summer. A full season of Jagr, Pirri, and Kessel on this team, with the emergence of our youth, can really put us in the upper echelon of the East next season. Its not about what happens 5-6-7 years from now, if you have the opportunity to add an elite sniper to this team, which can only help us get to that ultimate goal, then you do it. You think any Heat fan, me included, is upset with the amount of picks or prospects we handed out during the LeBron years, HELL NO, because we got two championships out of it.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Looking up old lines and came across this thread.

Funny what a year can do. I suggest re-reading the 4 pages of this thread.

Pirri had shoulder and concussion problems early last season. Went ice cold for about a month, then white hot after with a ridiculous SH%.

Some thought we should trade him while his value was high, others wanted him signed long term.

I just don't know if we have the fitting personnel on this team to pair him with anymore.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Looking up old lines and came across this thread.

Funny what a year can do. I suggest re-reading the 4 pages of this thread.

Pirri had shoulder and concussion problems early last season. Went ice cold for about a month, then white hot after with a ridiculous SH%.

Some thought we should trade him while his value was high, others wanted him signed long term.

I just don't know if we have the fitting personnel on this team to pair him with anymore.

It's almost unfortunate he can't play with Huberdeau and Barkov. Having those guys set him up could be awesome. Obv Jagr is awesomer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad