Brandon Pirri

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
This is how I see Pirri

Pros:

- Great shot power
- Good passer
- Mid level overall hockey IQ (as in he can keep up the play on both ends of ice when needed such as pinching when d jumps up, dumping the puck when needed, ect.)
- Mid level defense
- Decent agility

Cons:
- Slow skater
- Cannot play the boards for nothing - Always gets plastered and overwhelmed. Just watch him battle along the boards and tell me you don't cringe
- Doesn't know how to get open..Once defense is on him he becomes somewhat useless and doesn't know how to carry play further
- Does not know when to shoot the puck unless he is completely open, has plenty of time or has the perfect pass.

If he could improve his skating, his muscle mass and board work - he will find opportunities to put his powerful shot on net. Those attributes are holding him down IMO. Right now it feels he cannot carry play on the boards and when a defensive player marks him tight, he just passes the puck to another player to deal with it instead of asserting himself in the offensive zone. When he tries to assert himself he either shoots the puck right into the shin-pads in front of him or just loses the puck outright.

This about it this way, what is different between him and Smith? They almost have the same body type. Thing is Smith is smarter with the puck and has the physicality to muck it up in the boards, that or completely elude players among the boards by constantly moving his feet.

When he is inserted into the lineup observe him, he makes more bad decisions just because he cannot physically keep up with the play.

I honestly want him to succeed here.. i think he has the acuity..just to needs to get his body to work for it.

Last edited:

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I would trade Pirri+ for Byfuglien in a heartbeat if it was offered on the table. Brandon's shootout ability and slapper can earn you a lot of points in the regular season alone, but we need to be seriously looking at adding another top d-man who can actually hit the back of the net and also hit like a train.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I would trade Pirri+ for Byfuglien in a heartbeat if it was offered on the table. Brandon's shootout ability and slapper can earn you a lot of points in the regular season alone, but we need to be seriously looking at adding another top d-man who can actually hit the back of the net and also hit like a train.

I know its RD-RD, but could you imagine a Byfuglien - Gudbranson Pairing. Hot Damn

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I know its RD-RD, but could you imagine a Byfuglien - Gudbranson Pairing. Hot Damn
Hah yeah would be pretty sweet! Also I really think it's a non-issue with Buff being a RHD, the guy can score from anywhere left side, right side, middle of the blueline, front of the net, odd man rushes, etc....we use him on one PP unit and Ek on the other, accommodate those 2 to their needs since Kuli, Guds, Petro, Soupy and Mitch don't score much.

Just noticed the Buff/Ladd talk in the rumors thread so I'll write there.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
He swaps in for Knight or Thornton.

He has no room elsewhere.

TBH, he swaps in for Thornton.

Thornton Dmac Pirri would be a slow line with Mac the only one having speed

Honestly Knight has been a little lack luster for me lately.

Whether that proves that maybe Q was a little more valuable to that line than he got credit for, or Knight’s just falling off a tad?

Not sure if you can keep continuing to sit Pirri, especially against a weaker opponent like TOR coming up. The risk reward for playing Pirri on the 4th line is high.

Pirri-MacK-Thornton is not your ideal line, but I don’t think you can put him anywhere else ATM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad