Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lambert right now seems like the type of kid with huge boom/ bust vibes. Question: If we had an opportunity to improve the roster (getting rid of Schmidt for instance and upgrading our RD), would you include Lambert in that deal?

Part of me yells HELL YEAH because it was a bonus pick we used to get him and he could easily be a guy who can't figure it out in the NHL, but part of me is very apprehensive as he could be a big oof to move if he realizes his potential.

Lucius is the guy I'd be dangling. I see Lambert on a line with McGroarty and Perfetti in the future. I think it would be really balanced.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lambert right now seems like the type of kid with huge boom/ bust vibes. Question: If we had an opportunity to improve the roster (getting rid of Schmidt for instance and upgrading our RD), would you include Lambert in that deal?

Part of me yells HELL YEAH because it was a bonus pick we used to get him and he could easily be a guy who can't figure it out in the NHL, but part of me is very apprehensive as he could be a big oof to move if he realizes his potential.
I'd like to see if Lambert can sustain his high level of play for at least half an AHL season before making a decision. He's only D+2, and very few players can be effective offensively in the AHL at that stage. If he is able to sustain, then it would have to be a very strong offer with some future impact to pry him loose, rather than a pure rental (like Schmaltz from Az, maybe).

That's partly why I think the Jets shouldn't rush into a trade now. Let's see how the young F prospects progress. You don't want to trade the next version of Ehlers or Connor while they're on their ELCs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Would depend on the upgrade at RD, but yes, in a heartbeat. For the right upgrade.

We have a strong, deep F corps right now with a strong, deep group of F prospects. We are supposed to be in 'Win Now' mode. We have 1 hole in the roster that could derail 'Win Now'.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

That’s a weird way of looking at it. It doesn’t matter how you get talented players bonus pick or not.
Mtl value Kovy as a top 4 d and they got him off waivers. We got Demelo for a 3rd, but, that’s not his worth and he is our best rd.
I also don’t think it’s worth making decisions like that right now as everyone saw Jets missing playoffs. Bubble teams don’t trade, or at least shouldn’t, trade promising prospects just so that they might win 1 game in first rd in playoffs.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lucius is the guy I'd be dangling. I see Lambert on a line with McGroarty and Perfetti in the future. I think it would be really balanced.

Sure, if that bait can catch the right fish. Both of them if necessary - for the right return.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

IDK -- don't really see Lambert as having strong bust vibes at this point. Clearly still has plenty to work on, but he's surprisingly committed defensively and plays a very pesky pressure game, stealing pucks and hounding 'em like an over-caffeinated Matty Perrault, while creating a lot and drawing penalties in an Ehlers-esque way.

Even if he doesn't hit his highest-end potential -- and everything recently suggests that he's a hard worker with all kinds of drive -- then he's still a very useful player as a speedy creator who can gain the zone reliably and take away pucks while turning the play back at pace, and can contribute on the PP.

That's EXACTLY the game the new-look Jets seem to want to play. Not sure why you'd trade that away for anything less than a higher-end RHD.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I'd like to see if Lambert can sustain his high level of play for at least half an AHL season before making a decision. He's only D+2, and very few players can be effective offensively in the AHL at that stage. If he is able to sustain, then it would have to be a very strong offer with some future impact to pry him loose, rather than a pure rental (like Schmaltz from Az, maybe).

That's partly why I think the Jets shouldn't rush into a trade now. Let's see how the young F prospects progress. You don't want to trade the next version of Ehlers or Connor while they're on their ELCs.
I think they can get a cap dump from Vancouver for a 2nd or 3rd. Dont trade this guy unless the return is huge

Reactions: Sweech and larmex99

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Absolutely. If we could get an actual true #1RHD with term, you absolutely do that trade. Top pairing RHD are extremely hard to come by, even more so when your Winnipeg meaning you need to draft them. If the isles were offering up Pulock for example (or Dobson) for some speed and scoring help up front, I move him in a heartbeat.
Only way I alter that is if the trading team wanted immediate help and wanted Ehlers instead, I toss in a Lucius or Heinola and keep Lambert hoping he turns into an Ehlers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm definitely not leading the Lambert hype train. But he has shown exactly the type of signs you want to see as far as getting his trajectory back on track to potentially being a top six calibre guy .

He will need to develop a decent defensive conscience, as I don't think he is a Connor or Ehlers type offensive talent. I dont think he will be able to get by without much two way game the way those two did at times.

He does have some of the same tools, and he is getting lots of reps in refining those tools. If he can use his speed as a 3rd line guy that can be a threat on the PK and PP2? That's how he can crack the lineup full time on a veteran, win now team in a couple years.

If he can show that type of game in the bottom six, heck, that's how he can be a top line player one day.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I expect Lambert to bust. I'm gladly going to be proven very wrong... but it is what I expect to happen unfortunately.
Lucius is my choice to bust. Too many injuries to overcome.

Lambert will make the show because of his speed. I think he will have an Enver Lisn like career.

McGraorty and Barlow and Chibrikov I Ike though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lambert will make the show because of his speed. I think he will have an Enver Lisn like career.

McGraorty and Barlow and Chibrikov I Ike though.
I think it's too early to project Lucius as a "bust". It really depends on whether he stays healthy for the next couple of seasons, I think. What I've seen is that his hockey sense and skills allow him to play at the AHL pace effectively, which is a big step for a prospect at his stage. At this point, his ceiling looks like maybe a 2/3C that can play enough defense while playing with offensively-skilled linemates.

What strikes me is the nice balance in the Jets' F prospect pool at this point. McGroarty and Barlow (and Torgersson) give them some skilled wingers that can play along the boards and in traffic. Lambert and Chibrikov have some game-breaking skills and skating. Lucius seems like a versatile player than can integrate various types of wingers.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

McGraorty and Barlow and Chibrikov I Ike thought.
Speed is the thing here. He will get shots in the NHL solely on the speed.

Perhaps he adds some sandpaper to his game.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I think the jury is out. He could end up back in Jr, the AHL or, a long shot, the NHL next season. If he plays in the AHL next year and has a good season, he should be in the NHL the year after. Pretty hard to predict at this point.
There was no way he was going back to jr. LOL

Almost zero chance we move Lambert. He's our #1 guy on the Moose and might even play in the NHL this year if he keeps playing like he is and there's another injury. He was an incredible pickup.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I expect Lambert to bust. I'm gladly going to be proven very wrong... but it is what I expect to happen unfortunately.
He looks like he's going to have an amazing year in the A, probably going to finish in the NHL this year. He's just got all the tools.

With his dominate performance last year, he looks like the furthest thing from a bust at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There was no way he was going back to jr. LOL

Almost zero chance we move Lambert. He's our #1 guy on the Moose and might even play in the NHL this year if he keeps playing like he is and there's another injury. He was an incredible pickup.

Sure there was. All it would have taken was playing in the AHL like he played there last season. All doors were open.

Almost zero chance we move anybody of consequence. But you have to give to get. The better he plays, wherever he plays, the more value he has in trade.

Edit: You are going back to early June to pick posts to argue with?

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Sure there was. All it would have taken was playing in the AHL like he played there last season. All doors were open.

Almost zero chance we move anybody of consequence. But you have to give to get. The better he plays, wherever he plays, the more value he has in trade.
No, because of his age and dominance there was zero chance he was going to jr.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, because of his age and dominance there was zero chance he was going to jr.

Why do you want to argue with this now? Seriously. It didn't happen. It could have. It didn't. But if it will make you happy, I will concede that it couldn't have because it just doesn't matter in the least anymore.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I thought he was strong defensively from his time in Europe?

He's a puckhound who tracks back enthusiastically if not always accurately, has an impressive takeaway rate (by eyetest) and is not afraid to mix things up along the walls/ corners.

If he can minimize giveaways and keep his speed in a check at times in order to trade off against positional soundness, then I see him as being a decent to solid defensive player who can strip backs and turn things around at speed.

And his game definitely includes some sandpaper. More a finer-grain 200 a la Perrault but definitely sandy and pesty.

Honestly don't see him on the fast train to Bustville at this point, but we won't know until he's played his first 200 games I guess.

Reactions: DeepFrickinValue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad