Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Completely happy letting Lambert marinate in the A for a year or more. He's still got work to do. We bring him up, he's likely 4th line and playing an entirely different role than we hope he is suited to. Sure, it helps him get used to the pace, but I'm not convinced it does much else that's really beneficial.

Agree, -- though gotta start discouraging them rookies early. Get them used to the bitter taste of disappointment.

I do think that a 4th line with Kupari and Barron is a much better fit for a talented youngster for a game or three than the grizzled, old skool Thompson, Letestu, Ancient Mariner 4ths we rolled for years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree, -- though gotta start discouraging them rookies early. Get them used to the bitter taste of disappointment.

I do think that a 4th line with Kupari and Barron is a much better fit for a talented youngster for a game or three than the grizzled, old skool Thompson, Letestu, Ancient Mariner 4ths we rolled for years.
Except we don't have those grizzled old vets this season. We have a deep forward pool. Lambert playing on the top line, getting PP time and heavy minutes on the Moose will do much more for his development then 4th line usage in the NHL where offensive opportunities will be rare and there will be little opportunity to play with more skilled offensive players. McGroarty an even more highly rated prospect from the same draft class is still in the NCAA and no one wants to disrupt his season because he is excelling in a leading role in Michigan. Lambert is already playing at the higher level at the same age.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The big thing for me is allowing him ample opportunity to be a consistent offensive driver on the Moose while he develops some man strength to fare better in board and net front battle. He’ll never be a power forward, but to me he still seems like a wiry teenager. Some added muscle might help improve his shot as well.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The big thing for me is allowing him ample opportunity to be a consistent offensive driver on the Moose while he develops some man strength to fare better in board and net front battle. He’ll never be a power forward, but to me he still seems like a wiry teenager. Some added muscle might help improve his shat as well.
He's producing through 4 games, but the issues are still there. Lot of risk in his game.

Improve his shat?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Except we don't have those grizzled old vets this season. We have a deep forward pool. Lambert playing on the top line, getting PP time and heavy minutes on the Moose will do much more for his development then 4th line usage in the NHL where offensive opportunities will be rare and there will be little opportunity to play with more skilled offensive players. McGroarty an even more highly rated prospect from the same draft class is still in the NCAA and no one wants to disrupt his season because he is excelling in a leading role in Michigan. Lambert is already playing at the higher level at the same age.

Yep.

I was just riffing. I'm happy for Lambert to be getting all-sits usage in the A, just pointing out that he has an easier path to not just grinding it out should we need 4th-line reinforcements at some point this season.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep.

I was just riffing. I'm happy for Lambert to be getting all-sits usage in the A, just pointing out that he has an easier path to not just grinding it out should we need 4th-line reinforcements at some point this season.

I think Lambert is our likely Ehelers replacement in a year. I'm very happy he's off to a great start down there. I still have visions of a McGroarty - Perfetti - Lambert line in a couple of years.

Reactions: JetsUK

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Yup I think that's the difference. If you call him up to play on the 4th line he's already got some linemates who can work with him and then maybe you give him some pp2 time depending on how he handles it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Lambert is our likely Ehelers replacement in a year. I'm very happy he's off to a great start down there. I still have visions of a McGroarty - Perfetti - Lambert line in a couple of years.
A couple of years...

KC Scheif Volare
McGroarty Perfetti Lucius
Barlow Lambert Kup
Gus Lowry Rash
Chib

JMo Salmon
Ville Lundmark
Sammy DD
Chiz/Kuzmin

Helle DiV

Fairly small team.
Still need a good RHD.
Ehlers, Barron and a 1st and something else should get one, no?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
A couple of years...

KC Scheif Volare
Barlow Lambert Kup
Gus Lowry Rash
Chib

JMo Salmon
Ville Lundmark
Sammy DD
Chiz/Kuzmin

Helle DiV

Fairly small team.
Still need a good RHD.
We're going to run a 1980 pre-K-car as our right wing on line 1? :huh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
A couple of years...

KC Scheif Volare
Barlow Lambert Kup
Gus Lowry Rash
Chib

JMo Salmon
Ville Lundmark
Sammy DD
Chiz/Kuzmin

Helle DiV

Fairly small team.
Still need a good RHD.
Hard to predict future where players ask out.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
We're going to run a 1980 pre-K-car as our right wing on line 1? :huh:

I don't have an issue with it. Volare may not have much of a shot and is def a bit of a weak passer (esp at highway speeds), but he can still be a useful puck (and gear) carrier, if he can only stay healthy. Plus, with that state of the art AM/FM cassette hifi built in, his goal song's gonna be ragin'.

** Photo of Volare on 30 kmph breakaway courtesy of Parker Ford, a valued Jets retail partner **

1698346373085.png

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Lambert isn't playing on the 4th line in any league. He's been picking up right where he left off last year, and now in the AHL, his skating is elite and he can finish. He's already ahead of Kupari in that he can score, Kupari never scored more than 8 goals in the AHL in a full season, he's a good player, just doesn't have the Finnish Lambo does.

It's best for him to continue in the A to get those minutes, but knowing he's at the level where he is now is great for the Jets depth. He could easily play in the NHL this year and probably would if we weren't so deep.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Lambert isn't playing on the 4th line in any league. He's been picking up right where he left off last year, and now in the AHL, his skating is elite and he can finish. He's already ahead of Kupari in that he can score, Kupari never scored more than 8 goals in the AHL in a full season, he's a good player, just doesn't have the Finnish Lambo does.

It's best for him to continue in the A to get those minutes, but knowing he's at the level where he is now is great for the Jets depth. He could easily play in the NHL this year and probably would if we weren't so deep.

I mean none of us know the whole story/picture, but I still find it mind blowing he dropped that far down to us in the draft. Clearly there were some deficiencies, but when you get into bottom half the the first round and on, you might as well take a gamble on someone that has star talent. Of course he could still flop and not be anything in the NHL, but the risk at the time seemed clearly worth it, and so far is looking like a no brainer.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I mean none of us know the whole story/picture, but I still find it mind blowing he dropped that far down to us in the draft. Clearly there were some deficiencies, but when you get into bottom half the the first round and on, you might as well take a gamble on someone that has star talent. Of course he could still flop and not be anything in the NHL, but the risk at the time seemed clearly worth it, and so far is looking like a no brainer.

That draft could be franchise-defining if Mcgroarty, Salomonsson, and Lambert all hit.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That draft could be franchise-defining if Mcgroarty, Salomonsson, and Lambert all hit.

I find it hard to get a handle on McG, since I don't really follow NCAA and he can't attend camps, so haven't really seen him play outside of highlights and internationals and have no sense of how he's developing.

Salmo for sure makes it IMO -- nice balance of skills and some size and plays a position in high demand, just a matter of where and when.

I was high on Lambert before, at and after the draft, and nothing's really changed for me. I do think he's one of those players some sleep on b/c he isn't quite as advertised. Sure, the high-end skating and hands are there, but for me he's less an Ehlers-lite and more a quicker Perrault-type player who can slot into the top or middle-six and is always going to be a disruptive and dangerous skater. Maybe not the vision or scoring of the best of the genre but his ceiling is a very useful player who might top out as a high-end disrupter who can cause good chaos, take away pucks, gain zones, draw penalties and make shyte happen while reliably adding points and goals.

It may not be 2015, but it's likely next-best and close in terms of overall impact if all goes well.

Reactions: surixon

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
They're going to make it damn sure that McGroarty gets to hit. Honestly, it feels like he could just as well have come to the draft wearing a Jets jersey - the love story between the player and the org just seems more obvious by the minute.

Lambert, on the other hand? No such relationship there, by the looks of it. They made good use of a pick that usually doesn't yield the kind of talent Lambert has, but the frightening part is still ahead - how are they going to promote him into the show? I think that if he gets a top 9 role, he'll be alright - the tools are there to take a scoring role, and since Lowry's always going to be the #3C, we've seen lightning bolts work quite formidably with him before.

That said, there's another alternative too, and everybody knows exactly why I'm afraid of it.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
They're going to make it damn sure that McGroarty gets to hit. Honestly, it feels like he could just as well have come to the draft wearing a Jets jersey - the love story between the player and the org just seems more obvious by the minute.

Lambert, on the other hand? No such relationship there, by the looks of it. They made good use of a pick that usually doesn't yield the kind of talent Lambert has, but the frightening part is still ahead - how are they going to promote him into the show? I think that if he gets a top 9 role, he'll be alright - the tools are there to take a scoring role, and since Lowry's always going to be the #3C, we've seen lightning bolts work quite formidably with him before.

That said, there's another alternative too, and everybody knows exactly why I'm afraid of it.

It’s not an easy path for sure, especially if all these players arrive at the same time. I see a good fit of either Chibrikov or Lambert with Lowry, and I like McGroarty with Perfetti. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of room for everyone though. Good problem to have.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Imagine getting Barron, Lambert and Salomonsson for 36 games of Andrew Copp.

Chevy gets plenty of heat for lack of activity, but over the past 18 months he's done this...

Out:

Dubois
Copp
2nd (2024, Jets)
4th (2024)
6th (2023)

In:

Vilardi
Iafallo
Niederreiter
Namestnikov
Kupari