Confirmed with Link: Bowman and Q will return next season

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m not surprised he wasn’t fired. I’m mildly surprised if Q didn’t seek a promotion to the front office, since he no longer appears to particularly enjoy the job.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I’m not surprised he wasn’t fired. I’m mildly surprised if Q didn’t seek a promotion to the front office, since he no longer appears to particularly enjoy the job.

He doesn’t enjoy the job? What on earth are you talking about? No one is gonna enjoy the team not making the playoffs, I wouldn’t enjoy coaching the team that Stan has given him either, full of AHLers and players that people here think are so great when other teams are stacked and the majority of the players on this team would be third liners. It’s not about enjoying the “job” it’s about enjoying the pathetic team he has been given. Q wants to continue coaching I can bet my house on it...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He doesn’t enjoy the job? What on earth are you talking about? No one is gonna enjoy the team not making the playoffs, I wouldn’t enjoy coaching the team that Stan has given him either, full of AHLers and players that people here think are so great when other teams are stacked and the majority of the players on this team would be third liners. It’s not about enjoying the “job” it’s about enjoying the pathetic team he has been given. Q wants to continue coaching I can bet my house on it...

Do you have your mom and dad's permission? (friendly ball busting)

Q has put in zero effort this season and over the past 3 seasons he has failed to update/evolve the teams systems. This and Crow getting hurt have been the two biggest issues. They are not the only issues and to be clear Bowman created a few on his own (Seabrook mostly).

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Of course he wants to continue coaching - otherwise he wouldn’t do it. Was your observation supposed to be insightful?

Q mailed it in the season. He’s been coaching a long time, he’s rich, and he’ll get a cushy front office job the moment he wants it. As I said, I’m mildly surprised he’s not choosing that route now.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I agree that Q didn't look like he had the same energy and intensity we've seen in the past. Not to mention the signs of lazy and poor coaching manifested on the ice. Thought there was a chance he'd choose to hang it up.

His pride probably prevents him from going out on a low, sour note though. Hopefully, he's done some soul searching during this dismal season and is ready to reapply himself -- starting with this off-season by working on some changes to his system and tactics that are outdated and too familiar to the rest of the league by now.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

I appreciate what Quenneville has brought to the Hawks in his time here but every coach has an expiry date. We now get to witness an extra full season of spoiled milk behind the bench. When I look at this it stinks of an organization not wanting to pay Q as well as paying a new coach. It has a stench of money saving.

It looks like the “One Goal” has now changed. That slogan should be thrown in the trash, the goal is no longer doing whatever it takes to win.

Reactions: CPHawksFan

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Maybe Coach Q and Stan can tell us how they will fix ............

20th in the League in Goals scored
22nd in Goals Against
28th in PP success
20th in PK %

.........................what are the changes ... ??????

Reactions: Ted Lasso

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It's all so orchestrated, so obvious ... so McDumb.
Honestly .. I would rather see McD get the axe over Stan and Q.
Though I guess necessary I find PR guru types to be nothing more than vulture enhancers.
I think the way it will go is Q will have till Christmas to show a positive trend towards the PO's ... if he can he stays .. if not than a coaching change will be upon us.
There is also a slight chance that this announcement by McDooey was just a smoke and mirror ploy and Q will move upstairs during the summer due to a change of heart.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
Though I guess necessary I find PR guru types to be nothing more than vulture enhancers.
I think the way it will go is Q will have till Christmas to show a positive trend towards the PO's ... if he can he stays .. if not than a coaching change will be upon us.
There is also a slight chance that this announcement by McDooey was just a smoke and mirror ploy and Q will move upstairs during the summer due to a change of heart.

I take the Bill Hicks view of marketers; so, one can imagine my opinion of McDonough. Let's face it; the Blackhawks have been every much a slick pr campaign as they've been a great hockey team during his tenure. When the winning stops, it gets a bit more sickening to take.

Another thread jogged my memory about Bowman's comments before the game last night where he blamed the teams lack of chemistry and how out of sync they've been on the ice so often on the lack of a "circus trip" and NHL scheduling in general. How pathetic. He should stick to the more plausible youth infusion and "price of success" turnover shtick.

More and more I get the impression the organization is content to ride out the next 2-3,4 years while the young players develop in hopes they will eventually carry the heavy load for another cup run with the current core as role players at the end of their careers/contracts. Until then? Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Don't be surprised if the Blackhawks largely stand pat in the off-season. Bowman pretty much telegraphed that approach in another pre game interview he did a few months ago when he essentially said that "next year's team will be this year's team."

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I take the Bill Hicks view of marketers; so, one can imagine my opinion of McDonough. Let's face it; the Blackhawks have been every much a slick pr campaign as they've been a great hockey team during his tenure. When the winning stops, it gets a bit more sickening to take.

Another thread jogged my memory about Bowman's comments before the game last night where he blamed the teams lack of chemistry and how out of sync they've been on the ice so often on the lack of a "circus trip" and NHL scheduling in general. How pathetic. He should stick to the more plausible youth infusion and "price of success" turnover shtick.

More and more I get the impression the organization is content to ride out the next 2-3,4 years while the young players develop in hopes they will eventually carry the heavy load for another cup run with the current core as role players at the end of their careers/contracts. Until then? Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Don't be surprised if the Blackhawks largely stand pat in the off-season. Bowman pretty much telegraphed that approach in another pre game interview he did a few months ago when he essentially said that "next year's team will be this year's team."
Ain't that the truth!
I sure hope management isn't looking to just ride out the next 2 or 3 years with no thought to retool on the run. With our aging core they only have a year maybe two other than Kaner.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

I've given that some consideration as well, but I don't want to get overly optimistic.

Reactions: BK

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Q has put in zero effort this season and over the past 3 seasons he has failed to update/evolve the teams systems. This and Crow getting hurt have been the two biggest issues. They are not the only issues and to be clear Bowman created a few on his own (Seabrook mostly).

There is only so much a coach can do when his top players are not performing and it’s not only the Seabrook signing and Crawford injury. It’s not as simple as you make it out to be, no team falls down from heaven to earth with one move or signing or injury, it’s a “series” of really bad moves that have the team where it is right now.

Saad to begin with (Saad-Anisimov) it killed the chemistry and continuity of the Saad Toews Hossa line which was absolutely dominating

TT
Danault
Panarin for Saad
Johns
Hammer(yes hammer might not be that great right now but he is still better than Murphy and now we are stuck with Murphy playing like a third pairing guy getting paid 4 mill per for another 4 years while Hammer would have expired next year)

-Seabrook signing
-Toews over paid regardless of what was done at the time it’s hurting the team so I am mentioning it.
-Saad underperforming big time while Panarin playing like a true superstar

I mean this is what it boils down to

Seabrook over paid by 5M
Toews overpaid by 3.5-4M
Murphy over paid by 2M
Saad overpaid by 1.5-2M

Just by doing the math and I am gonna take the low end of those numbers

5M+3.5+2+1.5= 12M going to the garbage

These contracts don’t seem to be going anywhere either. So I don’t know how you wanna look at it but this team just can’t contend with so much dead cap, even if it’s 10M, heck let’s say 8M, that’s still catestrophic...

Unless Toews becomes a 70 point player while being a defensive powerhouse, Seabrook contract unloaded, Saad becoming a 30 goal scorer and 60 points, and Murphy playing like a true 4 D, this team has no chance, it’s just simple as that...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I waited for a bit for everyone to comment, but I don't like this. They both should be gone. We need fresh blood and someone that's at least willing to bury Seabrook in the minors.

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
Burying Seabrook in the minors would be completely silly as he still is an NHL caliber Dman. He's just not a top line pairing anymore and if he was making 4 million there would be little outrage regarding him. Either he gets bought out, he gets traded or he plays. You make him completely untradeable if you bury him in the minors

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
This team has no chance ever again with a stubborn Q behind the bench unless we get another powerhouse roster...plain and simple.

Q's concept of offense relies on a top 9 that will outscore via more goals and opportunities off the cycle. Systematically, we generate next to nothing from our rush/counter/neutral zone game, not to mention the power play, so it's cycle or bust. Yeah, it works when you have the clear talent advantage but that's it.

Even with a hot crow we'd still be getting shut out 1-0, or lose 2-1 games if by some chance we made it to the post season. NHL teams are too good at defense for a roster like ours to rely on the cycle and cycle alone to generate.

Meanwhile, the D sucks yet we've done nothing to compensate for that fact other than the temporary penalty kill improvement which wasn't Q's call anyways.

So, point is, we haven't been afforded the opportunity to see what happens if this team was coached as a 5 skater unit where anyone could strike and carry the puck on the transition from the neutral zone, where we played tighter up on our own blue line to speed up our rush thus improving odd man opportunities, and where we effectively position those 5 skaters so D & F can regularly be creative actors in generating offensive pressure when the opportunities present themselves. All things you can do without drastically sacrificing the team D game, after all, that's how the Penguins play with Sullivan at the helm.

The damn team got a kick in the nuts with the personnel AND we iced the same old system we used when we had the best roster in the league.

The future does not look good as of right now. We aren't getting a prime Hossa/Hammer/Seabrook back in the offseason by any stretch and yet we want to stick to the same game plan behind the bench?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This team has no chance ever again with a stubborn Q behind the bench unless we get another powerhouse roster...plain and simple.

Q's concept of offense relies on a top 9 that will outscore via more goals and opportunities off the cycle. Systematically, we generate next to nothing from our rush/counter/neutral zone game, not to mention the power play, so it's cycle or bust. Yeah, it works when you have the clear talent advantage but that's it.

Even with a hot crow we'd still be getting shut out 1-0, or lose 2-1 games if by some chance we made it to the post season. NHL teams are too good at defense for a roster like ours to rely on the cycle and cycle alone to generate.

Meanwhile, the D sucks yet we've done nothing to compensate for that fact other than the temporary penalty kill improvement which wasn't Q's call anyways.

So, point is, we haven't been afforded the opportunity to see what happens if this team was coached as a 5 skater unit where anyone could strike and carry the puck on the transition from the neutral zone, where we played tighter up on our own blue line to speed up our rush thus improving odd man opportunities, and where we effectively position those 5 skaters so D & F can regularly be creative actors in generating offensive pressure when the opportunities present themselves. All things you can do without drastically sacrificing the team D game, after all, that's how the Penguins play with Sullivan at the helm.

The damn team got a kick in the nuts with the personnel AND we iced the same old system we used when we had the best roster in the league.

The future does not look good as of right now. We aren't getting a prime Hossa/Hammer/Seabrook back in the offseason by any stretch and yet we want to stick to the same game plan behind the bench?

Great post and 100% spot on.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018

Q is putting the same effort as he did winning 3 cups. When you say evolve why? This is the same system that brought us 3 Cups. The difference is the core is old and on a rapid downhill descent.
The money Bowman has tied up into Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith will keep this team right where they are for the next 5 years unless they luck into a couple #1 picks.

The young Guys are just average except for Debrincat. Kane, Debrincat and Crawford are what we have to build around.
If Q had a decent roster and a healthy Goalie things would be different.

Bowman is the one who signed to aging Defenders to bad contracts. Toews was never worth 10 mil. Kane looks like he's pissed and doesn't really care. I think the Panarin trade is really getting to him especially since it's now a fact Panarin doesn't need Kane as much as Kane would like Panarin back.

Face it, this team is terrible and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You understand the game has changed right? The Hawks play systems that are easy to defend, contain, and attack. This is obvious.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I really hope this was just posturing

NY fired Vigneault an hour after their last game

A change is needed.

Based on the quality of the central and the west, the Hawks are in for a bad spell

Goaltending is a major question mark and a reliable veteran backup is their #1 priority. Don’t know if Crow can be counted on with the injury history and total lack of information on his status. Defense and scoring are irrelevant if we see the goaltending we have since Xmas.

Defense is a disaster. Guatafsaon and Oesterle are basically forwards. Seabrook is past his shelf life and I don’t see Keith magically returning to form. Murphy is garbage. We’ll surely have a poster come
in and talk about his ‘3 or 4’ ceiling. Dude is an overpriced 5 or 6 at best and painfully slow by today’s NHL standards

Kane is Kane and DeBrincat is a bright spot who needs to be used correctly, but also needs to eliminate his neutral zone turnovers

Saad MUST return to form or this team is screwed.

We all know about 19

Schmaltz is/was a bright spot for a while, but like Hino, disappeared the last 20 games of the season

AA had some nice PP stats, but has anyone heard his name the last 20 games? He probably won’t be on the roster

The rest of the roster is made up of a bunch of ‘just a guys’ and none of the young talent I
impressed much (didn’t see enough of Sikura). Team has no depth. Would anyone really care if guys like Kampf, Edsel,Jurco, Martison, etc weren’t in the system next season? Even fan favorite Hayden - just a guy. Nothing special at all.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Obviously I disagree about Murphy but there is no point in even discussing it at this point.

Schmaltz was a bright spot? He 100% was a bright spot and showed growth but again he needs to shoot more but he still scored 21 goals. Like the rest of the team he slowed at the end of the season but he still produced. Remember he is 21. Hino showed growth and will be needed going forward. I am not as high on him as others but he will be a good 3rd liner going forward.

Hayden is not close to just a guy. Pretty bad take on this one.

Jurco is just a guy in the sense he is a 4th line player with talent that can’t quite put it together. AM is fast and physical but again agree he is just a guy.

Kampf and Ed have potential. Suprised you don’t like him as he is a good FO guy and plays a two way game (remember I am not JD). Ed has size and showed some skill in gritty areas (net front).

Solid back is for sure a need. Forsberg has the physical skill but needs to work on the mental part. He showed potential at times but the mental mistakes are a big issue.

Q needs to go. Systems are outdated done work and I don’t think he can motivate the team like the past.

Saad does need to bounce back and I fully expect him to do so. This very important going forward.

Keith bounced back after the 11 season so I expect a better Keith next year. Prime Keith? Not but a very good Keith. Seabrook should be a 3rd pairing/pp guy. Nothing more till the buyout. Murphy needs to fix his gap mistakes. Consistent pairings and a better defensive system would help this group a lot. The current system of far too easy to attack and put our D at a distinct disadvantage.

If AA stays lines should be 20-19-8 and 12-15-88. Kane and Schmaltz have great chemistry but Schmaltz elevated Toews the prior season and his ability to create should continue to grow and open things up. Plus his ability to create turnovers will help.

Sikura and Hino with a bigger center could be a solid bum slayer line.

Two names to remember would be Shulanov and Nalimov.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Burying Seabrook in the minors would be completely silly as he still is an NHL caliber Dman. He's just not a top line pairing anymore and if he was making 4 million there would be little outrage regarding him. Either he gets bought out, he gets traded or he plays. You make him completely untradeable if you bury him in the minors
But who will trade for him?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I waited for a bit for everyone to comment, but I don't like this. They both should be gone. We need fresh blood and someone that's at least willing to bury Seabrook in the minors.
But who will trade for him? Wait for Seattle to come online to get rid of him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad