Confirmed with Link: Bowman and Q will return next season

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
LOL the Bowman fanboys reaching now

Sure the Hawks could possibly win with this D if they had Malkin , Crosby and Kessel + a duo of Murphy/Fleury (Two #1 goalies

Here is reality. Hawks have one player of the talent of Pens big 3 and for most of this year we had scrubs in net with Crawford hurt which meant that Stanley's god awful D was exposed

Does not explain Vegas success still.

Also, does not explain when we got swept by Nashville, and we had Panarin+Kane who are as almost as good or equivalent to Malkin and Kessel + better D.

All I'm saying, we can get MUCH more out of this group, however Stan needs to add a top 4 d-man and a top 9 forward.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Very saddened but not surprised by the McD announcement. He got a full house last season after crapping the bed versus Preds.

The retention of Q and the blah, blah, blah about being better will again result in sellouts.

The eventual firing of Q next season will result in an interim coach. After that they will roll out a new coach and insist we are making big changes, sellouts will follow.

This was clearly a non hockey business decision.

After that, they had better be very competitive or ticket sales will tank.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Getting rid of Q would just be a bandaid solution...to really move forward you have to get rid of the cancers in Toews and Seabrook

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
It's literally impossible to win a cup with this core, unless we hit some home run picks.

Example with Boston:
Pastrnak - 25th ovr, 2014
Heinen - 116th ovr, 2014
Bjork - 146th ovr, 2014
Carlo - 37th ovr, 2015
DeBrusk - 14th ovr, 2015
McAvoy - 16th ovr, 2016

In 3-4 years added these many solid players? Insane.

Top it off with Riley Nash FA steal, then man you got a insane turn around.

How are the Hawks holding up?
Hinostroza - 169th ovr, 2012
Hayden - 74th ovrerall, 2013
Schmaltz - 20th ovr, 2014
Sikura - 178th ovr, 2014
Debrincat - 39th ovr, 2016

Honorable mention (via trade): Duclair (80th ovr, 2013), Forsling (126th ovr, 2014)

Hopefully some solid picks this year, and someone like Jokiharju can jump up. We need to draft better if we want one last shot with this core.

Debrincat could be a Pastrnak level player, Schmaltz is looking to be better than Heinen, however we need a McAvoy in the system, and the old core to bounce back/get healthy (Toews, Saad, Seabrook, Keith, Crawford), and Forsling to be a top 4 guy.

Saad-Toews-Debrincat
Sikura-Schmaltz-Kane
Hino-Anisimov-Duclair
Jurco-Kampf-Hayden

Keith-_____
Forsling-Murphy
Gustafsson-Seabrook
Oesterle
Rutta

Crawford
Forsberg

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
So another year of Q not giving a shit, another year of the players not hearing and ignoring the shit Q spouts out of his moustache cause its the same crap for 10 years now and it never changes and adapts to the trends in the league or the personnel that he has.

Same crap systems that clearly don't work

What a freaking Joke.

This team is doomed

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
and Lazerus wonders why he is called a company stooge....I can see McD rubbing his head like a dog - "good boy Laz...you keep not reporting the bad **** here and defending everything Hawks and I will give you exclusive tweets and info to post..."

Laz back to McD " thank you sir, do you want me to get your car washed and waxed again today?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we heard rumors in the past about Bickell contract and Seabrook contract. This just adds to the McD is making hockey decisions for PR stuff.

They will blame the CC injury and that's it. What a shame.
Q should have been gone, Stan gets a Coaching hire and if it's not working you clean full house.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Not a surprise. Think the Crawford injury allows for a mulligan. The leash needs to be short. But next year is absolutely the last chance for either one of the duo. And the veterans need to seriously step up. Can't expect the kids to step in and be ready to pick up the slack left by loafing vets.

So, who are the top draft picks for 2019?

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
He talked about it last season too... This is just a bunch of face-saving, PR bull****, from an organization that just had it's worst season in the last 12 years... and looks to change...what?

How about the media asks the coaching staff about what they plan to do to fix the power play, penalty kill, blown coverage, turnovers, and fundamental mistakes that this team makes every game?

What they plan to do about the goaltending? Who they see stepping in to help the defense?

Maybe with a young team trying to develop and excel at the NHL level, it's time to revisit the practice approach? Maybe more mandatory practice? Maybe no more 20-30 minute practices?

What do they plan on doing to make sure the core is better next season?

I agree with you and are drastic changes likely to happen in coaching style? probably not but the off season hasn't even started yet. Lets see what the roster looks like (adding a top 4 D or two and a legit goalie)and if they try anything different systems wise or limiting TOI for some of the vets. If nothing changes and it's status quo we all have a right to be pissed and both Bowman and Q should be gone.

Last edited:

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Not at all surprised. Just as predicted. that said...

I think it will play out poorly. The Hawks really need a new system and a new culture. A new coach was a must.

Another year of 50 different line combinations. And, as an aside... if I am Anthony Duclair I pack my bags. Q got the kid in a trade and basically shelved him. Unlikely he sees the ice. And that D system? It will continue.

It is early and we do not know the roster for next year --- but I would be surprised if the Hawks will be more than an outside-shot at the playoffs type of team next year --- and, at the same type, they may be an outside shot at the Draft lottery type of team as well.

Retaining Q is a mistake. Expected, yes. But still a mistake.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Well, I look at it this way. I really thought the Hawks were going deep in the playoffs last year until after Game 2 of the Preds series. Then they got thoroughly beaten by the better team. The "organization" was totally disgusted and upset, and it was unacceptable and changes were going to be made and we were going to be better this season.

Well, how did THAT turn out? This disaster is totally on Bowman and Q. How much input does Q have on obtaining players I wonder? Or is it all on Bowman and the accountants? I for one was hoping for a coaching change, but it has to be the right guy. Look at Minnesota or Pittsburgh for instance, and conversely St Louis.

I like the fact they are letting the kids play, but that should have been done last season and more this season earlier. Some vets HAVE to be moved and new blood brought in, plain as that.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Not a surprise. Think the Crawford injury allows for a mulligan. The leash needs to be short. But next year is absolutely the last chance for either one of the duo. And the veterans need to seriously step up. Can't expect the kids to step in and be ready to pick up the slack left by loafing vets.

So, who are the top draft picks for 2019?
The Crawford injury shouldn't allow for a mulligan.

Crawford going down wasn't the problem. Crawford going down exposed the problems.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
and Lazerus wonders why he is called a company stooge....I can see McD rubbing his head like a dog - "good boy Laz...you keep not reporting the bad **** here and defending everything Hawks and I will give you exclusive tweets and info to post..."

Laz back to McD " thank you sir, do you want me to get your car washed and waxed again today?"

I listened to Lazerus' podcast this morning. He said McDonough requested Lazerus and Tracey Myers join himself and Blackhawks TV to make the comments.

So McDonough hand picked only two members of the Blackhawks press corps to take questions from, and had the team's internal PR video wing there.

Looks like you were pretty spot on with your assessment.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q is too busy drinking his Merit from Binny's to fix any problems. ..he ran Country Club for coddled vets and they screwed him ..the Core all played rotten this season...There was a rift between the complacent check cashing stars and the kids and support group newbies...The vets Q counted on never lead or inspired the newbies .. Skills and attention to detail both deteriorated ...Systems on pp and pk were awful...basics like exits and clears and crisp passing were all mangled ..It was a Mess...

To expect the Core to all bounce back next season us ridiculous..3 years of Toes in coast g mode ...a suddenly "old" Keith who started getting beat regularly ...fumbles with pucks...por shooting. . weak stick check defending ...how is he at 35 going to bounce-back? SEATS a list cause with no speed left in him..cannot get to loose pucks.. guys go right by him and if caught up ice he has no speed to get back in time. .. The old stalwarts.. 2 and 7 can no longer be relied on and no one in the rest of the D is much better either. IT US now a huge problem. .Forwards could help our D if they knew how to check anyone in our zone..bit they are sift...weak ..and slow to get on their checks..Olay away from the puck is awful..Hardcover compete with this.

Coach must get our forwards to help our D till we can move in more competent D-men ...

PPis a mess. ..entry problems ..too long to get set up...Face off losses in o-zobe mean we gotta go back to our zone to get pucks...Another Mess...Lousy poi t shots.. Keith with 2 goals cannot be on the pp .. simply useless.

Kane needs to go back on mission. .Means actually tries to check in our zone .. means playing all season ..not quitting I 2nd half ..

Saad has to find bish better..decline in shooting % from career average was shocking ..Also got handled too easily by oops Dmen. ..has to go back to beastly man-child form. .not the garbage we got from my him most of this season.Has to cintribute a lot more.

TOEWS a lost cause ...had to drop the vegan for Meat and get Serious again ..been a shadow of his former glory for 3 straight seasons ..Coasting for 60 games a season just does not cut it for the $10..5 ...banked $39 million last 3 seasons and we got only 58,58,and 52...hardly a great ROI.What makes anyone optimistic he can ever bought ce back to 28-32 goals and 40+ assists and +25 or more and "lead" and inspire again?

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
To be fair, McD's hands are probably forced, because the vaunted "core" would have staged a revolt if Quenneville gets launched. What replacement HC would tolerate a bunch of overpaid vets putting in only 2-5 mins of effort night in and night out for seasons on end?

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Very saddened but not surprised by the McD announcement. He got a full house last season after crapping the bed versus Preds.

The retention of Q and the blah, blah, blah about being better will again result in sellouts.

I really don't think the retention of Q next year will lead to sellouts. The previous year season ticket holders were expected to buy their tickets before anyone knew that Hossa wasn't going to play and they were going to trade away Panarin and Hammer. That's why this year was a sell out. All I can say is if I knew they were going to break up the Kane Panarin duo I may not have renewed last year. That was the reason to watch the game in my eyes.

Right now they are reallocating seats for those that will stay on next year. Then the wait list will be tested. I don't think McDonough is going to have a lot of 100 and 200 level buyers there so maybe that is when McDonough comes down off his cloud. He clearly has his head in the sand hoping everyone will just forget this year so he can go back to f***ing around with Tommy Hawk, the ice crew and all that other nonsense.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well, I hope by next year someone informs Q who #12 is....just a daily reminder that we have this smaller guy named Alex DeBrincat on the team, might be hard to see sometimes on the bench as he is sitting a bit lower to read the name off his back...but hopefully some of the assistants continue to point out he does play for the team and is not part of the equipment crew.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->