Confirmed Trade: [BOS/BUF] Taylor Hall (50%) and Curtis Lazar for Anders Bjork and 2021 2nd round pick

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not sure anyone saw this ESPN article but Hall basically said there were other teams in on him that he was willing to go to but it seemed like it came down to who was interested in re-signing him. It also came out that he vetoed a trade to Vegas, probably for that same reason.

How Taylor Hall's prior career stops led to his 2021 renaissance with the Bruins

There's a perception around the NHL that Hall basically willed himself to the Bruins.

Last summer, he signed a one-year, $8 million contract with Buffalo, with a full no-movement clause that gave him significant leverage. Hall nearly signed with Boston as a free agent instead of Buffalo. Immediately after joining Boston at April's trade deadline, he said: "the no-movement clause really helped me become a Bruin."

It was the closest thing we've seen to an NBA-like, player-dictated move. However, Hall said that's not exactly how it went down.

"Leading up to the deadline, there were a couple teams that were interested, I'm not going to say who they were, but if it would have worked out, I would have gone there," he said. "I wasn't just holding out for Boston. I was eager to join a playoff team. I was eager to join somewhere that had good culture, and where winning was sustainable. Because I was looking for somewhere I could re-sign, not just the 20 games to end the season.

"I'm obviously thrilled it worked out with Boston, but if there were other places that would have come in sooner, I probably would've bit the bullet and done that."

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
One ENG in 6 games this series. That is why he only cost a 2nd. Sweeney should have given up a 1st for Palms. He settled for Hall and paid the price. Why trade for Hall if your team needs secondary scoring:huh:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like how the Bruins potentially losing is all on Hall, just cause it fits the built up notion that he is what wrecks team. He played pretty well for the Bruins, and I highly doubt they are out cause of him.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The pick will be 21 of 2nd round or 53 OA

29-32. MTL. NYI, TB, COL/LV
28-25. COL, CAR, PIT, TOR, LV
24 FL
23 WAS
22 MIN
21BOS

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The pick will be 21 of 2nd round or 53 OA

29-32. MTL. NYI, TB, COL/LV
28-25. COL, CAR, PIT, TOR, LV
24 FL
23 WAS
22 MIN
21BOS
Boston made the second round. How do they pick ahead of Pit, Tor, Was, Fl, and Min who lost in the first round?

Did they change the rules for lower rounds? By my calculations, Their pick should fall right after the jets at 26th per round or 58th (57 since the Coyotes lost their 1st rounder)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Boston made the second round. How do they pick ahead of Pit, Tor, Was, Fl, and Min who lost in the first round?

Did they change the rules for lower rounds? By my calculations, Their pick should fall right after the jets at 26th per round or 58th (57 since the Coyotes lost their 1st rounder)

The picks only change in the conference finals and cup finals. Everything else is based on points.

Reactions: Irie and voxel

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The picks only change in the conference finals and cup finals. Everything else is based on points.
Thanks, I am not sure why i was thinking the second round also dictated draft order. Sigh, guess I am getting old... the confusion and memory loss rumors are real! ;)

*Edit* Does it still hold true that if you win your division but lose in the first round, that you can not pick in the top 24?

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I like how the Bruins potentially losing is all on Hall, just cause it fits the built up notion that he is what wrecks team. He played pretty well for the Bruins, and I highly doubt they are out cause of him.
If he was brought in to provide secondary scoring and, well, he didn’t do that when it mattered, yeah, he was a contributing factor in the Bruins losing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That can be true too. But the general thinking is Sabres had ZERO options at the deadline. And that's just laughable. Try and and tell me how Taylor Hall desperately didn't need a deal too to get out of Buffalo going into a UFA year. All the Sabres had to do was push back a bit. They never do. It's been show time and time again they are pushovers. Nobody is going to be happy with Eichel deal. It's a given. You've got people in charge who cannot and will not negotiate. Pegula must have sucker written on his forehead.
Yeh seriously. Buffalo had a lot more leverage than they showed in this trade. What if Buffalo just put their foot down and said “fine, your only going to Boston and they aren’t offering enough, then you’ll stay and watch your prospects of signing anywhere for good money go out the window”

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeh seriously. Buffalo had a lot more leverage than they showed in this trade. What if Buffalo just put their foot down and said “fine, your only going to Boston and they aren’t offering enough, then you’ll stay and watch your prospects of signing anywhere for good money go out the window”
This is probably what should have happened. Adams bent over backwards for Sweeny in the deal, and gave away way too much for the return he got, considering Hall had max retention and the Bruins got Lazar added in.

Posters on these boards talk like it's just the Pegula's money, but the retention was huge for the Bruins to be able to add a player like Hall given their cap situation. Hall's contract was almost all base salary, so the actual dollars part was well over 1 million.

If Adams followed your scenario, he probably could have worked one of the better deals out, or at least got a bit more from Boston. Rookie GM though.

Reactions: TheNumber4

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
This is probably what should have happened. Adams bent over backwards for Sweeny in the deal, and gave away way too much for the return he got, considering Hall had max retention and the Bruins got Lazar added in.

Posters on these boards talk like it's just the Pegula's money, but the retention was huge for the Bruins to be able to add a player like Hall given their cap situation. Hall's contract was almost all base salary, so the actual dollars part was well over 1 million.

If Adams followed your scenario, he probably could have worked one of the better deals out, or at least got a bit more from Boston. Rookie GM though.
Honestly a 2nd is better than nothing. Opening up a roster spot to allow some younger players to get top 6 minutes, Hall off the roster, and a 2nd round pick is about all I could have hoped for in that scenario. Literally no reason to keep him here he was awful

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
giphy-downsized-large.gif

and thats that

it was partly ruined by the refs, real greaseball shit.

and there was nothing Hall could do about it, the isles won the series, the bruins didn't. he just had to sit back and take it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I thought this was going to be angreat trade for Boston.

I still think in a supporting role, Hall can be a 25/25 guy.

Wonder if Boston keeps him around after what has to be considered a disappointing playoffs for Taylor

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
3 even strength points in 11 playoff games.

I feel like the dude was constantly passing it to the Islanders or giving it back to the Islanders with any type of contact placed on him.

Bjork would have provided more. Underrated aspect of trade was Sabres getting Bjork.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3