Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I love that book.

I cheated and read about 50 pages of Winter before I finished My Brilliant Friend. It's really good so far but I'm going to finish My Brilliant Friend tonight and then go back to Winter.

How would you suggest reading it? All in one go or break it up book by book?

I'm 5 chapters in and love it.

Awesome . I didn't find it in my search last weekend , but I'll check the library for it soon.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I read it straight through. I was planning on breaking it up by books but by the time I got to the end of book 1 there was no way I could do that.

Ali-Smith-Winter.png

Last edited:
Reactions: stingo

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Yes, I finished it on Sunday. At first I thought I liked it slightly less than Autumn but now I'm thinking I like it slightly more. The two of them link together in some interesting ways. I'll be rereading the full 4 book cycle once they're all published.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
86099075-1fe2-4551-b9d1-d12f00a57e60_1.aec3f3ba61e84f51a7ee6ed0eeeb856a.jpeg

I have a morbid fascination with this particular tragedy..
This report gives a thorough accounting of the weather-related (& subsequent ground crew & pilot) factors/responses that led to the crash. Eyewitness testimony, transcript of the black box, etc.
Only a handful of souls survived the crash in to the 14 St bridge & icy Potomac..

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Nearly finished with The Dresden Files now. I’ve been taking a break between books in that series to catch up on some other reading I’ve wanted to get done. Currently I have, I think, 2 more chapters left in “Jaws.” After that, I’m looking at reading “The Fireman,” by Joe Hill.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I managed about 50 pages of Leda Grey the first day I read it, and about 20 in the week since then. I picked it up and Sunday and just couldn't face another page of it. I may go back to it this weekend.

"Letter_from_an_Unknown_Woman".jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I managed about 50 pages of Leda Grey the first day I read it, and about 20 in the week since then. I picked it up and Sunday and just couldn't face another page of it. I may go back to it this weekend.

"Letter_from_an_Unknown_Woman".jpg

Let me know what you think of this. I think I've actually started that story - a peasant woman sending a letter in regards to her life at home I believe? - and didn't even end up finishing it (it was included in the thief story I had told you about). I also picked up The Van by Roddy Doyle at my local bookstore, will probably go for it after The Double.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
That's the one. I'm pretty stuck on this too. I'm not sure if I'm in a slump or just picking bad books.
I don't know if making more of an effort to read more books by women is responsible or if Zweig has done a bad job but this is the worst portrayal of a female character I've come across in a while.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Gave up on The Last Days of Leda Grey. Made it through the title story in Letter from an Unknown Woman but tapped out 2 pages into the second story.

This turned up at the library on my last visit. Christmas themed books have never really interested me but Jeanette Winterson is an automatic read for me.

51eEeBH722L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just started Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. Fun so far.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Agreed. I'm about 150 pages in. Interesting how Wolff infuses a very deliberate tone into each person, as if they're characters in a novel. It's good storytelling, although he might have sacrificed a little accuracy for the sake of painting a broader picture. Still, it appears he gets the bigger points right. Funny how Bannon is portrayed as the only one who recognizes what's going on.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just finished this one:
22609391.jpg

If you like Ken Burns' documentaries, you'll love McCullough's approach to telling a story. No coincidence the two are mutual fans. The book is an intimate, dramatic, awe-inspiring peek into a major turning point in our civilization -- the invention of controlled, powered flight. You've heard the names Orville & Wilbur and Kitty-Hawk; you probably haven't heard about the unique roles each played, the unsung heroes behind the scenes, and the barriers of nature and technology they had to conquer, not to mention ridicule and disbelief they faced even after they succeeded.

My first McCullough book and I loved it. Who knew history could be so damn entertaining?

Reactions: GB and stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

Nice. This is going to be next, probably. Wanted to wait until the media died down about it before reading . I’ll wait for your review. Hopefully it’s worth a read.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Just finished this one:
22609391.jpg

..the barriers of nature..

I'm a Wright Bros fan, read a couple bios over the years..
You mention obstacles of Nature.. at that time, there was no bridge connecting mainland North Carolina to the Outer Banks. Wrights were at the mercies of erratic local fisherman to ferry them across. Usually in small fishing boats, in dangerous waters.
The fishermen we're ultimately important cogs in their success. I've been to Outer Banks many times, the sand blowing around there is no joke either.

Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad