Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebuchet Guevarra

Dec 25, 2017

Reactions: stingo

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
The awful thing about Christmas is having to deal with other people and be nice to them. I'm still reading The Brothers Karamazov but it;s been almost impossible to get enough time to really focus on it so instead I've been reading some shorter/easier books. At the momentI'm alternating between
9780099555629.jpg

and
510YdW4P2ML._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
The awful thing about Christmas is having to deal with other people and be nice to them. I'm still reading The Brothers Karamazov but it;s been almost impossible to get enough time to really focus on it so instead I've been reading some shorter/easier books. At the momentI'm alternating between
9780099555629.jpg

and
510YdW4P2ML._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Did you get many books for Christmas ? I feel the same way - hard to find time to read over the holidays .

How many books did you read this year ? you gotta be close to 130 now.

Received this for Xmas , & started it last night . So far it's pretty good, but only 80 pages into it.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I don't like to get presents. That makes my wife feel guilty so I got some Scotch from her but there were no books under the tree this year.

I'm at 131 books now. I should finish Bullfighting in the next couple of days and hopefully one more book before the end of the year. Bullfighting is very good but a collection of short stories about men taking stock of their lives as they realise they really are not young any more isn't the ideal read for me when I'm ill and full of self-pity.

I'd really like to read more non-fiction this year. I've got a long pile of books you've read from these threads that I really want to get through next year.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I don't like to get presents. That makes my wife feel guilty so I got some Scotch from her but there were no books under the tree this year.

I'm at 131 books now. I should finish Bullfighting in the next couple of days and hopefully one more book before the end of the year. Bullfighting is very good but a collection of short stories about men taking stock of their lives as they realise they really are not young any more isn't the ideal read for me when I'm ill and full of self-pity.

I'd really like to read more non-fiction this year. I've got a long pile of books you've read from these threads that I really want to get through next year.

Scotch is always a nice present.

I got some gift cards to the book store , Ali Smith's, Autum is on the list. I see it popping up on lists everywhere. What was the best fiction book you've read this year?

I'd like to read more fiction next year, but it seems every time I do , I feel "guilty", if you could call it that, thinking I should be reading non fiction. Hopefully next year is the year I get past it.

You have another hundred book year in you again next year ? This is the first time I've read 100 plus books , and I found it to be a big commitment . Not sure if I'll do it again, but will likely try.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Scotch is always a nice present.

I got some gift cards to the book store , Ali Smith's, Autum is on the list. I see it popping up on lists everywhere. What was the best fiction book you've read this year?

Written On The Body by Jeanette Winterson, The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes and Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively are all exceptional. I can't choose between them. Autumn is in the tier below them, it's very good. I do rte everything I've read by Ali Smith very highly.

I'd like to read more fiction next year, but it seems every time I do , I feel "guilty", if you could call it that, thinking I should be reading non fiction. Hopefully next year is the year I get past it.

Too much of the non-fiction I've read this year has left me thinking "If only a better writer had done this." This year, and onwards, I've tried to make at least 50% of my reading by female authors. Non-fiction seems very dominated by male writers so that can lead to it being pushed down my reading list (I count so called creative non-fiction and memoir as a different class than just non-fiction)

You have another hundred book year in you again next year ? This is the first time I've read 100 plus books , and I found it to be a big commitment . Not sure if I'll do it again, but will likely try.

I think so. December and January are generally slow reading months for me but otherwise all I really have to do is be disciplined about not wasting time online and I can generally do it. I'm going for some big books next year, that should bring my numbers down, but I think 100 is still achievable.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm aiming for one a week and am pretty certain I won't have enough time to eat, I think you're nuts

Admirable, but nuts

Reactions: Amerika

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I'm aiming for one a week and am pretty certain I won't have enough time to eat, I think you're nuts

Admirable, but nuts

Are you doing another read through of an author's work after you're finished with Orwell?

First book of 2018:
9780141013459.jpg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Are you doing another read through of an author's work after you're finished with Orwell?
Considering I started that Orwell read-through in March 2016 I wouldn't get too excited about seeing another. Now there's a post I made somewhere on this...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/132441745/

So your best candidates for that would be Raymond Chandler, James Kelman or F. Scott Fitzgerald (again). Outside bets for Dostoyevsky and Thomas Pynchon which I'd like to get to, although I get the feeling Notes From Underground and The Crying of Lot 49 (both read 4+ years ago) may not accurately represent the experience of their entire works, so it'll definitely be a while for them.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Considering I started that Orwell read-through in March 2016 I wouldn't get too excited about seeing another. Now there's a post I made somewhere on this...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/132441745/

So your best candidates for that would be Raymond Chandler, James Kelman or F. Scott Fitzgerald (again). Outside bets for Dostoyevsky and Thomas Pynchon which I'd like to get to, although I get the feeling Notes From Underground and The Crying of Lot 49 (both read 4+ years ago) may not accurately represent the experience of their entire works, so it'll definitely be a while for them.

As a Sunderland fan excitement is impossible for me.

I've got a fair amount of Dostoyevsky on my pile for the start of the year. Maybe finally I'll get to The Great Gatsby this year. I'd still be interested in your thoughts on The Plague. I'd like to read some more Camus this year.

ttvt-184123.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Picked this up today. Going to start it tonight .

31938172.jpg

Finished this morning. Great read. Loved her writing style, and enjoy books with a non linear plot.

Have you read anything else by Ali Smith?

Do you have any other fiction recommendations, in a similar vein?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Finished this morning. Great read. Loved her writing style, and enjoy books with a non linear plot.

Have you read anything else by Ali Smith?

Do you have any other fiction recommendations, in a similar vein?
You should probably try How To Be Both next. Girl Meets Boy was the first Ali Smith I read and I burned through it in a couple of hours. There But For The is also something I think you'd enjoy. Those would be my top 3 Ali Smith recommendations.

I'll have a think about other similar fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad