Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I liked I quite a lot; it'll probably end up being rated 4*.

It is purely about the politics around the Brexit campaigns and the fall out afterwards. There is very little in the book that happens outside of Westminster. A few mentions of the English regions, a couple of mentions of the SNP and of Ruth Davidson and that's really it. Plenty of political coverage feels like that so it was hardly unexpected.

It seems obvious that Shipman has far more Tory sources than Labour sources which makes the book even more heavily weighted than I'd expected on the Tories. Although Labour's MPs were busy trying to rebel against the leader they mostly didn't want who was himself trying to stay away from the referendum so it's hard to blame Shipman for this.

Back to The Lesser Bohemians for me.

Nice. I’ll look into it. I don’t really follow , or know too much about this so I’m looking to read more into it as I completely ignored it when it was happening . Would this be a good general overview of the whole thing?

Winter was fantastic, by the way. I think I liked it more than Autumn, too. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long until Spring.

Reactions: GB

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51tBYgLrUAL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I think it serves well as a good overview. You may read far more about Tory infighting than you really want but it is an important part of the development of Brexit.

I'm really hoping Spring comes out this year. I really want to read the quarter in one go when they're finished and see how they all hold together.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Doing some more cartoon inspired reading.. Collection of Simpsons' Christmas stories.
250px-Homer_For_the_Holidays.JPEG.cf.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Had been reading Life of Pi (and was enjoying it) but went to the bookstore, saw a copy of The Road, opened it up in the middle of the book, read a short passage and decided I was going to read that right away instead. So after 2 false starts:

51GJCBgMhhL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've owned a french copy for a long time but never read it because I don't want to read in french if I can read the original language.

Reactions: stingo

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
41jCIghfFdL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Compelling reading.. Author combines personal observations, with other research & anecdotes, to demonstrate the emotional life of animals.
Brief, interesting chapters w/a range of different animals. I also like the small hardback format (probably 8" x 5.5").

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Offside: My Life Crossing the Line by Sean Avery. I seldom read current or recent athlete autobiographies unless they are about tennis players. But Avery has always held a certain fascination for me. He seems like a complete jerk hated by even other thug players, yet he had the smarts and interest to get hired as a Vogue Magazine intern. That's a complex personality, worth investigating (hopefully).

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
41jCIghfFdL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Compelling reading.. Author combines personal observations, with other research & anecdotes, to demonstrate the emotional life of animals.
Brief, interesting chapters w/a range of different animals. I also like the small hardback format (probably 8" x 5.5").

Added it to my list, thanks.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002

Have you read his book on trees? Does it compare favourably?

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Have you read his book on trees? Does it compare favourably?

Ngc, no I haven't read his tree book (The Hidden Life of Trees), but I saw it mentioned on the cover of ..Animals.
I'm gonna check it out when I get a chance.
I didn't care much about animals growing up. As an adult tho, over the years, I've become really curious about the spiritual/emotional dimension of animals (& plants).
Peace

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Ngc, no I haven't read his tree book (The Hidden Life of Trees), but I saw it mentioned on the cover of ..Animals.
I'm gonna check it out when I get a chance.
I didn't care much about animals growing up. As an adult tho, over the years, I've become really curious about the spiritual/emotional dimension of animals (& plants).
Peace
While I always had a healthy appreciation for nature and knew that trees were important to the natural world, I think that reading The Hidden Life of Trees really changed the way I think about nature. It's a book that I think everyone should read.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
In the 90s I loved fantasy and science fiction, but there is one reason I never read a lot of famous works in this genre. And when I finished school, I lost interest in reading, so I did not read all those books I dreamed of as a child. But recently I began to read the Chronicles of Amber, but I read every day a little bit, because I quickly get bored. And it's not in the book itself, I understand that this should be a masterpiece in this genre, but I just can not dive into these fictional stories as before, distracted from the real world, so I quickly get tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad