Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm a Wright Bros fan, read a couple bios over the years..
You mention obstacles of Nature.. at that time, there was no bridge connecting mainland North Carolina to the Outer Banks. Wrights were at the mercies of erratic local fisherman to ferry them across. Usually in small fishing boats, in dangerous waters.
The fishermen we're ultimately important cogs in their success. I've been to Outer Banks many times, the sand blowing around there is no joke either.
Yeah, the stories of how they got to Kitty-Hawk, and how the local folk helped out is a very cool and totally unknown part of the tale. One of the residents, William Tate, was the one who took the brothers in, helped them set up camp and even helped move the plane back and forth. I'd love to hear the story told from his and his sons' perspectives.

Very cool that you've been there! Definitely on my must-do list!

The other thing I started reading up on are the various cries of coverups by other countries, who claim their native inventors succeeded before Wilbur & Orv. All those counter claims have been discredited, but it's amazing how fervently nationalist interests trump evidence.

Helluva' time in the US. So many iconic inventions coming out within a 25-year period from 1880 to early 1900s.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Very cool that you've been there! Definitely on my must-do list

When I was a kid, & we'd visit Kitty Hawk & Nags Head.. we'd tear up cardboard boxes and convert em into makeshift sleds. Then ride em down the dunes. With the barren sand & wind, it felt like being on Tatooine. It put the flight conditions in to perspective for me. But I think the wind is why the Wrights chose the Outer Banks.. /peace

Reactions: PSUPEN

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
2246892.jpg

The early military careers of Grant, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and other famous Civil War generals.. formed by the Mexican War.
Detailed accounts of meaningful, individual battles.. quoted experiences of Grant (et al) in Texas..

Reactions: GB

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
That's the third time today I've come across the name Gogol. I guess I should put him on my reading list.

Reactions: Amerika

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm just starting the 2016 Pulitizer Prize winner, The Sympathizer, by Viet Thanh Nguyen, which is about a North Vietnamese double agent living among Vietnamese immigrants in California. 20 pages in and thoroughly hooked.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm just starting the 2016 Pulitizer Prize winner, The Sympathizer, by Viet Thanh Nguyen, which is about a North Vietnamese double agent living among Vietnamese immigrants in California. 20 pages in and thoroughly hooked.

One of my favourite books from the last couple of years . I rated it very highly here, I think. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. Definitely one of the best fiction books to come out about the Vietnam war .

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Saw this Volume 3, browsing at the library.. Very cool artwork. Only a few pages in, but apparently She-Ra became a brain-washed villain. (who knew)

may140378.jpg

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
One of the advantages of living in a very small town with a brilliant library for its size is finding books there that are on long waiting lists in the other, city based, library I go to. Wandered into the library today and picked this up:

1515114223_75412303_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
36491506.jpg

Finished 1Q84 tonight. Broke it up into 3 books. It was good, the third book was more out there, but with Murakami, I knew it was coming , haha

Reactions: GB

Powerslave

Oct 19, 2017
Upstate NY
Back to Arrakis for this guy.

Last few days I've been reading Dune: House Atreides.

Idk what it is but I always keep coming back to Dune and LOTR :)

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
url
I'm on the first saga,the saga of Egil Skallagrimsson.This is by far the best book i've ever read,it makes the Steven Kings sound like a bunch of over imaginative 10 year olds.That Vikings show stole a whole bunch of events from this saga and wrongly applied them to other characters.This saga also makes the writers of that show look like a joke.Athlestan was the king of England not a slave,it's like they put all the names into hat and went from there.Ragnar was from Denmark and Ivor and the rest of his sons did exact revenge for their father.Bjorn Ironside was a Swedish king with no relation to Ragnar.The authors of the sagas are anyonomous.This saga spans fom 850-1000.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Interested to know how the shipman book turns out

I liked I quite a lot; it'll probably end up being rated 4*.

It is purely about the politics around the Brexit campaigns and the fall out afterwards. There is very little in the book that happens outside of Westminster. A few mentions of the English regions, a couple of mentions of the SNP and of Ruth Davidson and that's really it. Plenty of political coverage feels like that so it was hardly unexpected.

It seems obvious that Shipman has far more Tory sources than Labour sources which makes the book even more heavily weighted than I'd expected on the Tories. Although Labour's MPs were busy trying to rebel against the leader they mostly didn't want who was himself trying to stay away from the referendum so it's hard to blame Shipman for this.

Back to The Lesser Bohemians for me.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Have any of you read any Don Winslow? The crime fiction writer of Savages, The Cartel, The force, etc? I picked up the Force today. Might give it a shot soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad