Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
277762._UY462_SS462_.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Have you read "winter" by ali smith? Might pick it up soon. Just came out in November .

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm curling up with an Agatha Christie. Her light-reading mysteries seem to go well with chilly winter nights.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I know The Island is supposed to be her great work. Do you have any others you'd recommend?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I know The Island is supposed to be her great work. Do you have any others you'd recommend?
I know of The Island as the alternate title for one of her most ingenious works, And Then There Were None which is justifiably a classic of the genre. In addition to And Then There Were None, it's hard to go wrong with the following half dozen:

The Murder of Roger Acroyd
Peril at End House
The ABC Murders
Five Little Pigs
A Murder Is Announced
Murder at the Vicarage

Not a fan of Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile which often get included in discussions of Christie's best work.

Generally speaking, with exceptions both ways, the post-World War II novels are not as good as her earlier works.

Reactions: GB

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Thanks. I have no idea why I always refer to it as The Island.

My exposure to Agatha Christie is limited to TV adaptations my parents seemed to watch every weekend. My loval libraries have shelves full of them so I'll definitely check some of these out.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd made me very angry when I read it but I imagine you're smarter than I was when I was 21

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
11691.jpg

Little less than 100 pages left , and I'm trying to figure out why this has received the praise it has.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
GB, What did u think about the stories in here ^ ?
It looks cool, intriguing..

It's really good. The stories, which are pretty much non-fiction, fit together really well to develop a through narrative. It tells the story of the narrator going through some pretty risky situations and terrible relationship choices before finally finding something that works for him.

It's very explicit about BDSM if that's a problem for anyone then the book is definitely not for them.

New York Times just released a pretty glowing review about Ali Smiths , Winter .

Ali Smith’s Seasonal Cycle Turns to a Dreamy ‘Winter’

I got my copy of this today. Hopefully I'll finish My Brilliant Friend tonight and start it tomorrow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The aptly titled In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende, an author I sometimes struggle with. But so far so good on this one.

Reactions: stingo

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I love that book.

I cheated and read about 50 pages of Winter before I finished My Brilliant Friend. It's really good so far but I'm going to finish My Brilliant Friend tonight and then go back to Winter.

Reactions: stingo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad