Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
s-l225.jpg

and

51igdbGit4L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Wilson-cover_.jpg

Interesting, concise comic collection from Clowes. Wilson is a middle aged man dealing w/existential crises, etc.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It_cover.jpg

Started reading it a couple years back and quit early in, didn't find the idea of clowns freaky or anything to invest myself into 1000+ pages in the paperback I had. But with the movie coming out I grabbed it off the shelf and my previous misconceptions were wrong, it's not a clown story. Actually pretty interesting.

Say what you want about Stephen King, but the guy can write a tale that keeps you wanting to turn the pages.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gave up on Avenue of Mysteries and picked up A Prayer for Owen Meany by the same author. Infinitely superior so far.

4473.jpg

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
It_cover.jpg

Started reading it a couple years back and quit early in, didn't find the idea of clowns freaky or anything to invest myself into 1000+ pages in the paperback I had. But with the movie coming out I grabbed it off the shelf and my previous misconceptions were wrong, it's not a clown story. Actually pretty interesting.

Say what you want about Stephen King, but the guy can write a tale that keeps you wanting to turn the pages.
That's how I feel about Dan Brown book. Keeps me wanting to turn a page

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm currently binging on everything Mike Duncan (Podcaster, behind History of Rome and Revolutions).

Yesterday, The Storm Before the Storm, his first book, was released.

He has a Poli-sci background, which gives his views a different take than most historians, imo. The limitation is that he does not really dig up new information. He just has a few views that challenge canon, along the way.

And the way he presents it is just so entertaining.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Moving house really limits reading time. Worse of all all of my books are in boxes in the shed now. A shed without lights at the moment. I managed to find one of the book boxes and pulled out
51J0T9HFuQL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I couldn't make it through Typee, my only other attempt at Melville, but that was a long time ago. Hopefully I fair better with this.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
516RdILuynL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Author is putting/returning Christian belief to it's earliest Jewish Messianic context.
Obscure read, might be of interest to ppl here in to Biblical history.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Moving house really limits reading time. Worse of all all of my books are in boxes in the shed now. A shed without lights at the moment. I managed to find one of the book boxes and pulled out
51J0T9HFuQL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I couldn't make it through Typee, my only other attempt at Melville, but that was a long time ago. Hopefully I fair better with this.
You sure picked an easy option to try

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Wilson-cover_.jpg

Interesting, concise comic collection from Clowes. Wilson is a middle aged man dealing w/existential crises, etc.

I read and liked this a good few years ago. It's really grown on me since them. I think it's one of the best graphic novels I've read.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It wasn't the book I was hoping to pull out. I haven't had much time to read since I started it so I'm only 50 pages in. So far so good.
I don't think you've reached any of the bits about gutting a whale yet, but I have the Penguin edition rather than the OUP.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I don't think you've reached any of the bits about gutting a whale yet, but I have the Penguin edition rather than the OUP.
No, right now I'm at a part where a homosexual romance novel seems far more likely than a whaling novel.

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
I really enjoyed that, hope you like it.

It's quite good. The Spanish Civil War has long been a conflict I've been curious about but I never came across a comprehensive book about it before I saw this while perusing the history/military history section of one of my favourite bookstores.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
1873729.jpg

Old school (1969) self-help book.. Pretty good, non-pharmaceutical advice for dealing with anxiety disorders.
It seems like sedatives are referenced a lot tho, must've been a popular anxiety treatment in that era..

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
I'm reading a lot of books right now by Agatha Christie. She has a lot of great mystery books that she has written over the years.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Few months back I took a subscription for BookBeat and it's been absolutely great. I was slipping way behind in reading and while it was partly because of focusing more on TV and cinema it was also largely about time. The app has a good selection of audio books and a very large selection of e-books. Both English and my native language Finnish. Some days I listen to audio book for 6-8 hours while working and commuting.

Currently listening on GRRM Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm at the tail end of a Dance with Dragons. Been enjoying the series a lot. As a fantasy fan (even though I've been out of the genre for almost a decade now) it's an interesting series. The books are not the kind of fantasy I grew up with (Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms). It has much more complex word and I think Martin might just be the greatest world builder in fantasy ever. I enjoy the political schemes and the ripple effects throughout the realm feel very real. So far my favorite story arcs are Jon Snow and Arya (by and far my two favorites) Tyrion and Daenerys come as shared 2nd tier.

The slow paced feel of the book can be bit daunting but it also serves as a great "buffer" to let yourself go through the complex world while the events unfold.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm reading a lot of books right now by Agatha Christie. She has a lot of great mystery books that she has written over the years.

A lot fo great short books by her for sure. "And Then There Were None" is a gateway drug for easy going crime literature. Such an exciting book and stands time very well.

Reactions: GuitarGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad