Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why does a finger injury that keeps him out a couple weeks affect his skating for months? Not complaining. Questioning

His linemates did go from stone and blazing brassard to duchene and dzingel.

You'd have to ask Ryan that question.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of the guy, but he really looked like everything was coming together for him in the first dozen games.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He will be making 7.5 million next year. Ryan in my mind suffers from 2 big flaws 1. His skating is getting worse each year and 2. Motivation. He came back last year from injury right before the playoffs and went on a tear. However he missed a lot of games last year before the playoffs (I believe he only played 62 regular season games total) and was rested and avoided the grind of a full season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He will be making 7.5 million next year. Ryan in my mind suffers from 2 big flaws 1. His skating is getting worse each year and 2. Motivation. He came back last year from injury right before the playoffs and went on a tear. However he missed a lot of games last year before the playoffs (I believe he only played 62 regular season games total) and was rested and avoided the grind of a full season.

His skating actually looked pretty good this year. A few weeks off and you lose your synch, get a bit out of "game shape" and then your confidence get shattered as you might be playing to not getting hurt again.

Since Ottawa got him, Ryan has been dynamite everytime he was healthy, but he just can't catch a break. He is unfortunately injury prone...

2013-14 :

To start the season : 42 GP, 18 Goals, 18 Assists, 36 Points, +10 (0.86 PPG = 70 pts per 82 games)

Rest of the way : 28 GP, 5 Goals, 7 Assists, 12 Points, -3 (then shutdown for the rest of the season, after hernia)

2014-15 :

To start the season : 60 GP, 17 Goals, 32 Assists, 49 Points, +9 (0.82 PPG = 67 pts per 82 games)

Rest of the way (2 injuries that season) : 18 GP, 1 Goals, 4 Assists, 5 Points, -4

2015-16 :

To start the season : 52 GP, 19 Goals, 26 Assists, 45 Points, -1 (0.87 PPG = 71 pts per 82 games)

Rest of the way (2 injuries that season) : 29 GP, 3 Goals, 8 Assists, 11 Points, -8

2016-17 :

To start the season : 8 GP, 3 Goals, 2 Assists, 5 Points, +1

Rest of the way (5 injuries that season) : 54 GP, 10 Goals, 10 Assists, 20 Points, -4

And this season he started with 6 points in 8 games (playing very well) but then again got injured. We have little info on players injuries and most of the time they play through it and it makes them ineffective (think about Turris in 2015-16). It must be very hard to stay productive in injured plagued seasons. It's reminiscent of Marian Gaborik, pretty darn good players who eventually ran into too many injuries.

Basically, Ryan was a ~70 pts player looking at his first 42-60 games in his first 3 seasons with Ottawa, but couldn't maintain his paces all season because of injuries and physical endurance. Sens luck I guess as they get screwed once again by injuries, because I believe they would have a close to elite player if he was able to stay injury free.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan just doesn't have the determination you need to be consistent or reliable at the NHL level.

He doesn't want to be a great player or be on a winning team, because if he was that player, he'd be a spark for the team like Stone, EK, Pageau are. He's never done that beside his 2 rounds last season - that was 3-4 weeks of hockey of good hockey in 4 years.

No goals this year in 12 games, an offensive player with a draw a line in the sand mentality wouldn't stand for that, he'd just score, Ryan's on the radio saying he can't one time the puck. That's the attitude difference between a winner and a leader, and an aww-shucks attitude.

This is a ridiculous post. Based on I dunno what? If he can't one time the puck, logically it is more related to constant injuries than "attitude" or determination or that he doesn't want to win (seriously?) (those are perceptions/judgments relative to fans expectations)... But anyway, no time to quote all the posts that don't make sense in this thread. Anyway, I think that all that needs to be said is in post #703

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ryan just doesn't have the determination you need to be consistent or reliable at the NHL level.

He doesn't want to be a great player or be on a winning team, because if he was that player, he'd be a spark for the team like Stone, EK, Pageau are. He's never done that beside his 2 rounds last season - that was 3-4 weeks of hockey of good hockey in 4 years.

No goals this year in 12 games, an offensive player with a draw a line in the sand mentality wouldn't stand for that, he'd just score, Ryan's on the radio saying he can't one time the puck. That's the attitude difference between a winner and a leader, and an aww-shucks attitude.

He's been beset by injuries and the events early in his life will always weigh on him. What I'd like to do...is get him some therapy off the ice. Take the time off you need, and once you feel fresh and strong come back and, well, not dominate because he cannot at this point, but at least be a better player for us. The contract is terrible, but that was Murray's m.o., to make the players happy and overpay them in doing so. At this point we need to either buy him out or consider trading him in the summer. Unless, of course, he can re-focus and come back to the 60 point range.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan playing so well in the playoffs and to start the season, and then he comes back and gives daily interviews basically saying ‘I’m still injured so don’t expect much’ is exactly why Bobby Ryan won’t ever reach his potential.

He’s building in excuses for himself. He’s showing up to the rink with ready made limitations on his own game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan playing so well in the playoffs and to start the season, and then he comes back and gives daily interviews basically saying ‘I’m still injured so don’t expect much’ is exactly why Bobby Ryan won’t ever reach his potential.

He’s building in excuses for himself. He’s showing up to the rink with ready made limitations on his own game.

Maybe he shouldn't say anything but you know how medias are... If you don't say anything, things could be even worse (ask Carey Price).

That being said, the things you are accusing him of are pure speculation, unless you had a private chat with him or if you are literally in his head.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

I think he's just protecting himself from unfair media scrutiny, I don't really see anything wrong with that. He's clearly sensitive to criticism seeing as he deleted his twitter etc. He's only human, I'm sure it would wear on any of us. It must be incredibly frustrating to be given lofty expectations that you can't meet (partially) because of things out of your control like injuries.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think he's just protecting himself from unfair media scrutiny, I don't really see anything wrong with that. He's clearly sensitive to criticism seeing as he deleted his twitter etc. He's only human, I'm sure it would wear on any of us. It must be incredibly frustrating to be given lofty expectations that you can't meet (partially) because of things out of your control like injuries.
He should have worn better protective gloves after the first time he broke his finger(s)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember Ryan's first few months here I had no idea how we were able to get him for so cheap and why the ducks would ever let him go. He was absolutely flying. Dangling. Sniping. Uncontainable in the corners. And then injury. And then. All this. I think his issue is his physical condition. He might just not have the natural condition that most other pro hockey players have. Give him a summer of training and he can get to peak condition. But a set back is almost a double setback for him.

Does anyone remember how long before the playoffs last year did he come back?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think Ryan is just made for tight checking playoff hockey

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I remember Ryan's first few months here I had no idea how we were able to get him for so cheap and why the ducks would ever let him go. He was absolutely flying. Dangling. Sniping. Uncontainable in the corners. And then injury. And then. All this. I think his issue is his physical condition. He might just not have the natural condition that most other pro hockey players have. Give him a summer of training and he can get to peak condition. But a set back is almost a double setback for him.

Does anyone remember how long before the playoffs last year did he come back?
Was also playing with turris and MacArthur.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Ryan is just made for tight checking playoff hockey

Not really, he is good in general when he actually wants to make a difference. tight checking playoff hockey helps but he won a hundred more puck battles than he normally does when he doesnt try.

If Ryan was european he'd be poster boy for enigmatic play, with the absence of Semin now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Simply just a lazy player

I don't think of Bobby as a lazy player, he is slow but not lazy. He can be a good player, his constant hand injuries has hampered his game lately, and it very well could be a long term issue for him. If you want to see any example of a lazy player, Hoffman is the poster boy for that on this team.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Will go down as one of the worst signings by the Sens of all time. 7.5 mill x4 more years after this one. That is just ridiculous for a guy like Ryan. Whatever he was in Anaheim, outside of last years playoff run, hes nothing of the sort anymore.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan’s first play of the game was a turnover he had his pass picked off at the blue line trying to go through 2 Habs and I was reminded in that moment why I don’t like Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad