TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Remember when Darren Dreger said that Kyle Turris wouldn't finish the season in Ottawa, and we all thought he was an idiot who was just speculating? After all, we had lots of time to negotiate a contract, and Turris was a huge part of the team for the last 6 years!

Well, we all know what happened.

If someone like Bob McKenzie is writing this article, it's more than idle speculation. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and this is one massive bonfire.

It's happening. Whether it happens before Monday or in the offseason, it's pretty clear that this ownership and management group has no real interest in keeping Karlsson as a Senator. Sure Dorion will say it's his "top priority", but let's be real. We're not going to pay the market price. We were never going to.

When the deal is made, Dorion will come out and say how it was the toughest decision of his career. Melnyk will talk about a renewed commitment to winning and scouting and drafting and whatever. But it's all crap. It won't be a hockey deal. It'll be a money deal, and we'll lose. When you trade a player like Karlsson, you don't win. Look at Joe Thornton, Chris Pronger, Patrick Roy, etc. We won't get Draisaitl. We won't get a star. We'll get quantity.

At the end of the day it's just sad that it's come to this. This franchise doesn't deserve the fans' support. It's a joke.
Sums up my thoughts, pretty spot on.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
How can McKenzie know that teams have called with initial offers for Karlsson but not know which teams? He needs to source that then.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
How can McKenzie know that teams have called with initial offers for Karlsson but not know which teams? He needs to source that then.

He specifically said nobody has offered anything for Karlsson.

He said teams have called asking if he's available and what kinds of pieces Dorion would want in return. It's entirely possible his source is within the Senators organization, hence he doesn't know which teams have called.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm not surprise at all. I knew last October the Karlsson was not going to be a Senators for much longer. And the way hes playing right now doesn't help. Now Dorion must get to work and hit a homerun with this trade. In the long run i believe this is the best thing for both parties.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is it not possible to send EK to Tampa & Ryan to another team as part of the same deal? To entice a team like Philly for example they could retain $2.25 mil of his contract for the duration if need be. But I would want 3 or 4 assets from Tampa plus their 1st in 2019 & Philly's 2018 1st rd pick. Col got quite a haul for Duchene, Ottawa should be able to get a little more I would think. If they also move Brassard they could probably get another 1st rd pick for this yr plus a good young player/prospect & be able to make some deals to move up at the draft & draft a couple high end players. Add all of this to the prospects they already have & the future could be exciting.

To Tampa: Eric Karlsson RD
To Philly: Bobby Ryan RW/LW
To Ottawa: Mikhail Sergachev LD, Taylor Raddish RW, Boris Katchouk LW, TB 2019 1st rd pick & Philly 2018 1st rd pick (Ottawa retains Ryan - $2,25 mil for 3 yrs)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
^ we cant retain for a part of the contract, it either needs to be the entire contract or none of it. at least from my understanding

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm not surprise at all. I knew last October the Karlsson was not going to be a Senators for much longer. And the way hes playing right now doesn't help. Now Dorion must get to work and hit a homerun with this trade. In the long run i believe this is the best thing for both parties.

This is such a funny perspective.

How can any reasonable person think that Dorion would be able to hit a homerun when trading Karlsson? I keep seeing people post names like Draisaitl, Point, etc. It's ridiculous.

We're dealing from a significant position of weakness:

1) Teams know Karlsson is unhappy with ownership and/or management
2) Teams know we can't afford to meet Karlsson's longterm ask
3) Teams know Dorion is contemplating trading Karlsson because he has to
4) We can't take money back
5) We're trying to dump Ryan as well

Get ready for a shit return.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
If the Sens trade EK, I'm done with this team until Melnyk and Dorion are gone. Might not be fair to put Dorion in the same sentence as Melnyk, but if he had any balls, he would tell Melnyk how much of a bad idea trading EK is.
Have considered the fact that maybe Karlsson told Dorion that the chances of him resigning with the Sens were very low? It's better to trade Karlsson and get as much as possible for him then to lose him for absolutely nothing. I'm not convince that Erik wants to stay with the Sens. It's easy to blame Melnyk and Dorion but if Erik wants to play elsewhere what can they do?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There's a difference between "I know that Ottawa has fielded calls about Karlsson" and "I know the specific teams that Ottawa has fielded calls about Karlsson," and McKenzie's wording indicates he knows the former and is speculating about the latter. Moreover, the former statement does not meant those teams are all interested enough to put in an actual offer; they may just be doing their due diligence.

I will agree that overall, McKenzie seems to believe that teams asking about Karlsson's availability are being told it's a really steep price, and that Dorion isn't likely to actually move him. He's just saying "it'll cost an arm, a leg, and your newborn son" instead of "he's absolutely not available."

That McKenzie is saying he "knows Ottawa is fielding calls about Karlsson" but doesn't know specifically what teams makes it awfully reasonable to assume that his sources are in the Ottawa organization.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA

How can any reasonable person think that Dorion would be able to hit a homerun when trading Karlsson? I keep seeing people post names like Draisaitl, Point, etc. It's ridiculous.

Get ready for a **** return.
you right but the only thing going for us is that you have several clubs bidding against eachother and they all know what it would means to have Karlsson on their team.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Have considered the fact that maybe Karlsson told Dorion that the chances of him resigning with the Sens were very low? It's better to trade Karlsson and get as much as possible for him then to lose him for absolutely nothing. I'm not convince that Erik wants to stay with the Sens. It's easy to blame Melnyk and Dorion but if Erik wants to play elsewhere what can they do?
Are you in all seriousness saying that you think Melnyk is not the problem...If his organization wasn't a side show, there would be no question in Karlssson staying...and if Karlsson goes, I don't expect Dushesne will be sticking around either...another disaster, because we gave away a first rounder

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeSakic and RyCam

CommonSens

May 14, 2017

Ottawa is in Total Control of any Karlsson trade. Zero weakness. Anything less than a home run and Dorion can say NO. And try again later.

There's no urgency right now.

This is not to say that Pierre wont go out and make a bad trade......but he'd have to work at it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
^ we cant retain for a part of the contract, it either needs to be the entire contract or none of it. at least from my understanding

Why not? Splitting the deal between three teams makes the most sense since Tampa would need to maker room for only Karlsson's salary & Philly would pnly need to make room for $5 mil of Ryan's salary. They retained money from the Phaneuf trade, is there some kind of a limit to how much they can retain?

In the case of Tampa they also know that they would have Karlsson at $6.5 mil (a number they could probably afford) for this season & next & could possibly challenge to win two cups in a row, instead of one. They would have this summer & next yr & the following summer to make room for him depending on what they would sign him to an extension(my guess 6 or 8 yrs @$10 mil). I would think they will probably get rid of Ryan Calahan, if they can. Why can't we retain money?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
How is he expected to get a good haul when EM wants us to toss an albatross contract on top of EK in any deal??
Actually, I change my mind. If that devil Melnyk attaches Bobby to a potential Karlsson deal I will fully boycott this team. Won’t spend another dollar on the franchise.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

You seem to find it easy to blame Karlsson though.

Reality is that if Karlsson is the one who said he wasn't re-signing in Ottawa it's because Melnyk and Dorion have shown him that he can't play for a competitive team here. He wouldn't just decide he hates the Sens out of nowhere when he's clearly comfortable in this town.

Reactions: Cath and RyCam

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Am I now? From his article:

“...Based on the teams I think — note I didn’t use the word “know” — have had early dialogue with Ottawa...”

Exactly, this rampant wreckless speculation is a joke on us. He backpedalled the whole time, saying things have shifted, but he knows nothing. Other than Dorion listening, he doesn't know jack shit.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
At this point ,i cant see this happening...We are going to get screwed royal

Imagine we trade EK for Draisaitl, kailer yamamoto, 2018 1st, 2019 1st/Strome on deadline. Ottawa tanks and finishes last or second last then draft Dahlin or whoever. we’ll have that top prospect plus draisaitl signed through his prime years in ottawa

We have a top C already.

he’s good for sure but i wouldn’t call him elite C nor top 10 #1 true C. We haven’t had one ever since spezza. duch can play on the wing and wed easily have one of the best top lines in the league.

hoff - drai - duche

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If it goes down this way I think our only recourse as a fanbase is to choke out every revenue stream this team has and make it known Eugene Melnyk is the impetus for that.

Make his brand so toxic he has no choice but to sell.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Wow discounting the Karlsson deal to take Ryan and we dont have our own first next year. What a ****ing joke. If this happens I really hope every sens fan gets organized and doesnt show up to the rink for 1 game. Just 1 game of no one showing up to show we wont stand for this horse****.
seriously...never thought I would say it...but I'll be done with this team...till it is sold...we are becoming the laughing stock of the league...incredible...

Reactions: JoeSakic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad