TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Let us not forget that Alfie was almost traded a few times, and fences were mended for the most part. This is a business, and I know Erik is going to take this in stride.
We'll see if they make any moves at the Draft - and while I know that Vegas was extremely close - and Yes, Erik was being actively shopped - There still is a chance that he will not be moved and will sign a monstrous extension. Business is business.

I can safely say for a fact that some of the things we have done - like #MelnykOut - has been noticed by management and ownership.

BUT - That all changes if Ottawa drafts 1OA - if so, Erik is good as gone.

A bit late to the party here, but why would the addition of Dahlin mean Erik is gone?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A bit late to the party here, but why would the addition of Dahlin mean Erik is gone?

I assume because the team knows they cannot pay Ryan 7.5, Karlsson 12.5, and then Dahlin 7.5M+ after his ELC. Not to mention, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, etc. Bridge deals don't seem to be on the table these days for young franchise players. Ekblad for example got 7.5M and he doesn't nearly have the hype Dahlin has. So if Dahlin lives up to the hype of being a generational defender, 7.5M would probably be the floor for his post ELC deal.

Assuming what @mattlef is saying is the plan, if we get Dahlin, then the team uses Karlsson as a catalyst to give themselves a fresh start by dumping Ryan's big contract while bringing in top level assets to further rebuild around Dahlin.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
but what confuses me in wanting Hockey Deals is we traded Brassard for futures.

I suppose that depends on how close our organization thinks Gus is to being NHL ready

... though if we're putting all of our cards on the table, the idea that there is a possibility that we think a 20 year old goalie is NHL ready scares the bejeezus out of be.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
One thing that is not really talked about yet is Karlsson has yet to speak about any of this, and now he will have to address this gong show.

What he says will really set the table going forward.

He can be direct or he can equivocate... Really hope he speaks directly like he usually does.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I assume because the team knows they cannot pay Ryan 7.5, Karlsson 12.5, and then Dahlin 7.5M+ after his ELC. Not to mention, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, etc. Bridge deals don't seem to be on the table these days for young franchise players. Ekblad for example got 7.5M and he doesn't nearly have the hype Dahlin has. So if Dahlin lives up to the hype of being a generational defender, 7.5M would probably be the floor for his post ELC deal.

Assuming what @mattlef is saying is the plan, if we get Dahlin, then the team uses Karlsson as a catalyst to give themselves a fresh start by dumping Ryan's big contract while bringing in top level assets to further rebuild around Dahlin.

Perhaps, but it doesn't necessarily mean Erik (or Erik + Ryan) would have to be the one(s) to go.

Hell, for all we know, Dahlin might have more of a Hedman style trajectory, where he doesn't truly 'break out' until his 4th or 5th season. Defensemen have a bit of a quirky learning curve in the NHL. As great as this kid looks, I don't see him being a dominant player to the point of walking out of his ELC with a monster second contract.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Bobby Mac just said in a perfect world the Sens and EK would have liked to extricate themselves from this situation. What a croc of shit. Not used to hearing shit from Bob. idk, maybe he needs to retire. I'm sure PDs perfect world, given he's armed with a new 3 year deal, is Melnyk sells, budget goes up and he has something to work with and he and EK strike a deal.

A perfect world. At what point does it become a tad slanderous to say it's both guys perfect world that he's gone. I don't mean in a legal sense but at this point it seems the panel can just say whatever the f*** it wants

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I suppose that depends on how close our organization thinks Gus is to being NHL ready

... though if we're putting all of our cards on the table, the idea that there is a possibility that we think a 20 year old goalie is NHL ready scares the bejeezus out of be.

I think you gotta say he's 2-3 years away realistically. Goalies are kind of a crap shoot to project though

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bobby Mac just said in a perfect world the Sens and EK would have liked to extricate themselves from this situation. What a croc of ****. Not used to hearing **** from Bob. idk, maybe he needs to retire. I'm sure PDs perfect world, given he's armed with a new 3 year deal, is Melnyk sells, budget goes up and he has something to work with and he and EK strike a deal.

A perfect world. At what point does it become a tad slanderous to say it's both guys perfect world that he's gone. I don't mean in a legal sense but at this point it seems the panel can just say whatever the **** it wants

What is more likely here: that the guy who has made an entire career on the back of his reliability and trustworthiness has all of a sudden decided to throw it all out the window for one rumour involving a potential deadline trade that never happened? Or maybe that he's telling some truth, and it's worth at least considering.

Maybe... maybe it's time for some people to consider the possibility that the situation right now is bad, and isn't going to get better in the short-term.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bobby Mac just said in a perfect world the Sens and EK would have liked to extricate themselves from this situation. What a croc of ****. Not used to hearing **** from Bob. idk, maybe he needs to retire. I'm sure PDs perfect world, given he's armed with a new 3 year deal, is Melnyk sells, budget goes up and he has something to work with and he and EK strike a deal.

A perfect world. At what point does it become a tad slanderous to say it's both guys perfect world that he's gone. I don't mean in a legal sense but at this point it seems the panel can just say whatever the **** it wants

I didn't hear what Mac said, but from your post, perhaps by extricate, he means they both wish none of this trade talk and subsequent craziness (out-of-the-playoffs record included) ever happened?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What is more likely here: that the guy who has made an entire career on the back of his reliability and trustworthiness has all of a sudden decided to throw it all out the window for one rumour involving a potential deadline trade that never happened? Or maybe that he's telling some truth, and it's worth at least considering.

Maybe... maybe it's time for some people to consider the possibility that the situation right now is bad, and isn't going to get better in the short-term.

I think there is some truth to the notion of a trade being poosible if not likely.

that said I've watched Bob his whole career. It seems to me that he's changed in the last year or two. A lot more speculation than there used to be...he's more one of the crowd than one of a kind

there are a lot of ways he could have said what he did...but both guys perfect world doesn't really strike me as overly accurate.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think Bob knows more than the average fan about the situation..
If, for example, the case is really that Dorion is trying to move Karlsson and Karlsson would just as soon be moved. I know that notion isn't exactly what came out of Dorion's mouth.. but it is possible that is the actual situation. And it is possible Bob knows (or believes) that is the case or that its closer to the truth than we are able to.. Further, to coin a phrase .. in a perfect world (which implies as things have transpired, at this point in time) both parties would have liked to be able to have worked out the right deal..

It's possible isn't it? I don't understand why that would be an off the wall notion given everything that we've heard over the past few days. Would it be outlandish to think that Dorion tried to smooth the waters and douse the flames with his comments. It would be in Dorion's best interest to do so , and the best interest of the team and Erik Karlsson for the remainder of the year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I didn't hear what Mac said, but from your post, perhaps by extricate, he means they both wish none of this trade talk and subsequent craziness (out-of-the-playoffs record included) ever happened?

ya that's possible. it's quite the shit show over the past two months

it was the usual 3 on the panel. They all had their turn to talk about us trading Karlsson. It will certainly give them lots to talk about and it'll play well in Toronto.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I think there is some truth to the notion of a trade being poosible if not likely.

that said I've watched Bob his whole career. It seems to me that he's changed in the last year or two. A lot more speculation than there used to be...he's more one of the crowd than one of a kind

there are a lot of ways he could have said what he did...but both guys perfect world doesn't really strike me as overly accurate.

It’s about as likely as any of the alternatives. None of us have any insider info here.

Edit: I mean that colloquially. I realize that some people on these boards do in fact have insider info.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I loved how GMPD dropped the "if Erik is on the team in July we will offer him a competitive contract offer". Goodbye Erik.

IF GMPD truly was hoping to mend fences he wouldn't be using the opening salvo "if Erik is on the team. In July ". Once again the organization is in this bizaro world where we don't know if we are rebuilding or re tooling although GMPD wants to get us back to earlier Senators days when we knew we were a lock for the playoffs.

I'm glad this will go quiet for a while but in no world do I believe for a minute that this organization will commit to EK65 long term like they should.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I loved how GMPD dropped the "if Erik is on the team in July we will offer him a competitive contract offer". Goodbye Erik.

IF GMPD truly was hoping to mend fences he wouldn't be using the opening salvo "if Erik is on the team. In July ". Once again the organization is in this bizaro world where we don't know if we are rebuilding or re tooling although GMPD wants to get us back to earlier Senators days when we knew we were a lock for the playoffs.

I'm glad this will go quiet for a while but in no world do I believe for a minute that this organization will commit to EK65 long term like they should.
Hard to say how it will work out.. IMO If he can't get the deal he wants; They will offer EK a contract and negotiate in good faith to sign him.. Will it be palatable to EK for a variety of reasons .. I have my doubts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Remember that scene in Jaws, where Brody and Hooper have realized this shark is too big for them to handle, and the boat simply can't do the job, but Quint is at the helm laughing like a madman and pushing the motor beyond it's limits anyways? The look they give each other, knowing their lives are in the hands of a madman and there's nothing they can do about it?

Brody and Hooper are Dorion and Karlsson, while the madman at the helm is Melynk.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

If Erik Karlsson is as good as gone then it's a pretty sure fire rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad