TSN: Bob McKenzie: Senators involved in trade dialogue for Karlsson with half-dozen teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This isn't about almost getting traded. It's about a breakdown in the relationship with the owner which is EXACTLY why Alfie left TWICE.

Alfie left the first time as a 41 y/o, and the second time as a retired player, I don’t have much of a problem with that. Of course Melnyk is still a problem for players if he is looking to cut down on operations (and roster) at all cost. Players and coaching staff want the opposite, they want more money invested to help them out to win.

In an ideal world, the new arena is under construction and Melnyk puts the team for sale so he can cash in and leave it to new investors with more funds to make it the best team possible. Until that happens, we have no choice but wait

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I agreed with you that shopping was going on but what constitutes "serious shopping"? Even then there is a big difference between "serious shopping " and good chance of being traded!
Were teams asking about Karlsson ? Yes . Did they Sens have a "target deal" they would take. Probably yes. Were they close to consummating a deal? Probably not based on what Dorian said in his press conference
"Multiple teams phoned but Erik's a franchise player and we felt there was no franchise deal out there that could satisfy to make the best hockey deal," said Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion

Vegas was seriously in on EK until the last hour today. So had they made the proper offer he'd be gone. That to me is as serious as it gets in regards to shopping a player. Doesn't matter what happens after that.

Am I glad that Dorion didn't bend over today? Hell yes. Does that mean I don't think he's as good as gone anyway? Nope.

Reactions: MarkStone

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Is it too farfetched of a conspiracy theory to think Melnyk wanted the team to hold off until the summer so that he could sell out a bunch of extra home dates now that fans will want to go see Karlsson one last time? :popcorn:

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I'll admit, I was way wrong. I thought if a team came out and gave the Senators an opportunity to dump Ryan and walk away with 4-5 1st round tier assets, the Senators would cave even if those 4-5 assets were all futures and not a "hockey" trade.

It's a good sign....maybe. As long as the market is just as strong in the summer and Karlsson doesn't come out and say he wants to hit the market as a UFA in 2019. It means Dorion isn't afraid of taking a bit of a risk here to try and get a good return.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well after a long day I'm sitting here with a decent meal and a pint and I'm not sure what to think.

I'm super pumped there is still a chance to keep Karl a Senator for life.

I'm of the opinion that this was the real danger period.

I'm hoping leading into the draft cooler heads prevail.

I think after his son is born sometime around May/June ? You might even see the tone change from that camp.

No-one has ever defined what "market value" meant. Everyone assumes that means a huge deal, it could just as easily mean he wants to be paid competitively with the best in the game. Which could in fact end up with a 10 - 11 mil AAV front loaded.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Haven't read all this thread (who could?), but it is not really surprising to think teams were hesitant to give up a lot for Karlsson given his performance this year. So it is maybe for the best that he wasn't traded. Hopefully he'll increase his stock next year, or we buy low ourselves on him (yeah right).

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I do like how all the main board posters who were convinced Steve "elite Jedi master" Yzerman was going to use his reality distortion field to sucker Dorion into giving up Karlsson for picks have gone pretty quiet now.

They’re probably all in the McDonagh thread gloating.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I do like how all the main board posters who were convinced Steve "elite Jedi master" Yzerman was going to use his reality distortion field to sucker Dorion into giving up Karlsson for picks have gone pretty quiet now.
I doubt it, Yzerman literally just added the best D and best forward moved today, and only gave up Namestikov off the roster. I'm sure they are all content.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Take with a grain of salt, but Vegas apparently offered up to 6 pieces for Karlsson

6 pieces can be anything though.

Hunt+2nd+3rd could be three of the pieces for example. Point being, although 6 pieces is impressive, without knowing what they are it's impossible to really decide how great of a package it is.

Just watched he presser. What else is dorion suppose to say. I think for once he’s did and said all the right things.

There's always a chance Karlsson re-signs. Anything can happen. But that's verging on fan fiction at this point.

I am surprised people are taking Dorion's words at face value. What is he going to do? The moment he closes the book on re-signing Karlsson and validates any of the rumours about Karlsson possibly not being open to re-signing (Karlsson wanting an expedited resolution for example), Dorion then not only loses leverage but pours gasoline on this shit show.

Dorion said the right things. It doesn't mean that they were fabrications or him bending the truth.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
6 pieces can be anything though.

Hunt+2nd+3rd could be three of the pieces for example. Point being, although 6 pieces is impressive, without knowing what they are it's impossible to really decide how great of a package it is.

There's always a chance Karlsson re-signs. Anything can happen. But that's verging on fan fiction at this point.

I am surprised people are taking Dorion's words at face value. What is he going to do? The moment he closes the book on re-signing Karlsson and validates any of the rumours about Karlsson possibly not being open to re-signing (Karlsson wanting an expedited resolution for example), Dorion then not only loses leverage but pours gasoline on this **** show.

Dorion said the right things. It doesn't mean that they were fabrications or him bending the truth.

Apparently it went to the wire.

So I have to think the package was considerable. Enough to get Dorion to seriously consider it and make a counter-offer.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Dorion kept saying "Hockey Deals"

so is the plan to re-tool or re-build. I still dont know

Hockey Deals to me means NHLers for NHLers

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Namestikov probably isn't happy

That would be my initial thought, but after thinking about it a bit, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

He's an arbitration eligible RFA. He was not going to get paid on Tampa, they would have bought out his final RFA years and signed him to a cheaper short term deal. He's coming off of a career year that is way out of line with his previous production and there is an argument to be made that he benefited hugely from playing with Tampa's top players.

In New York, he might get a long term deal right now and capitalize on his hot season. That same deal would not have been available to him in Tampa due to where they were cap wise.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think its a distinction because of the term left on the contracts the Sens were dealing.. it distinguishes it from dealing for UFAs at the deadline.. The buyer would presumably value and want to add the player for at least the term of their contract and hence return something appropriate... For example if Cole and a team wanted to add him it would likely be for more than a 2020 3rd rounder

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I think when he says hockey deal he means there has to be an element to the deal where the Senators get players that can help them now.

I don't think that means he wants a deal purely with NHLers.

In the context of Vegas, I think it means we probably were asking for Theodore and/or Tuch in the deal. Guys with upside who are already NHLers. Sure things. Think Sergachev on Tampa Bay.

GMs were probably trying to get away with offering deals only based around futures. 1st round picks+Junior prospect type returns. I don't think Dorion wants to make this gamble in a Karlsson trade. It's too risky. According to Garrioch, the ask had to include two 1st round picks, so futures would be part of the deal, but I think all the primary pieces couldn't be futures.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'll admit, I was way wrong. I thought if a team came out and gave the Senators an opportunity to dump Ryan and walk away with 4-5 1st round tier assets, the Senators would cave even if those 4-5 assets were all futures and not a "hockey" trade.

It's a good sign....maybe. As long as the market is just as strong in the summer and Karlsson doesn't come out and say he wants to hit the market as a UFA in 2019. It means Dorion isn't afraid of taking a bit of a risk here to try and get a good return.

Tatar was a hockey trade was it not? Tatar has term.. if he was a UFA he maybe gets a first probably a 2nd. I think Dorion would say Brassard was a hockey trade and not because of Cole.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Take with a grain of salt, but Vegas apparently offered up to 6 pieces for Karlsson

Well, they gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Tatar. I assume those were 3 of the 6 pieces.

Not very enticing, if you ask me. 2nd and 3rd round picks on top-5 teams are borderline throw-ins in trades involving players of Karlsson's caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad